“true paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Deal
Save on Tour tickets
denver, co.
“true paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I found this place through our friends who had just been married in Costa Rica and chose the Springs for their wedding moon party. We spent the day there and had the time of our life! We loved it so much that at the end of our trip we traveled 8 hours out of our way just so we could stay there for the last 2 nights of our Costa Rican adventure. The volcano is perfectly framed by the architecture of this hotel, so pretty much anywhere you stand in this resort the view is phenomenal, from our room, and from the pool, and the hot springs, and the restaurants...and on...also, I'm a snob when it comes to my bed and linens, and I slept like a baby, it was sooo comfortable I wanted to move in :)!! It was the perfect finale to our trip!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Nestled into the side of a hill with every room having an unobstructed view of the entire Arenal Volcano.
The rooms are roomy, very comfortable and have private patios/decks. The volcano is perfectly framed in the large private picture window.
The hotel itself is 4 floors with reception on the top floor and the pools on the bottom. The many pools are lushly landscaped and vary in temperature from 104 to 78 degrees for swimming or lounging in mineral water pumped from heated volcanic water.
We had a very romantic and relaxing 3 day visit and there are many attractions to keep busy......the hotel van drive into the Park to watch the volcano erupt, a 2 hour walk through the bridges in the rain forest, river rafting & high wire trips through the tree canopy and rappelling down from waterfalls.
There are very few more beautiful settings when the weather is nice, but if it is not, you may never see the volcano. Also, Arenal Volcano is not like Old Faithful and you may not be fortunate to see it erupt.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at The Springs in Arenal. We have stayed at many memorable hotels over the last 10 years, but our experience at The Springs was the best. The hotel was immaculate in every way. The details in design and luxury were incredible. The service was very personal and punctual. The food was diverse. The hot springs on site were gorgeous and well cared for. The views of the volcano from our room were beyond belief. I had read other reviews discussing the borderline quality of the road leading to the hotel, but we found it to be very safe and easy to travel. We did a ton a day-trips from the hotel - canopy tour, canyoneering, and hiking. All the tours were exceptional. The hotel owner, Lee Banks, was on-site during much of our stay. He has an incredible imagination, and has truly created a masterpiece. The hotel manager, Joey, was also tremendous. The hotel is great for all ages. We loved the hotel so much that we changed our plans to stay at Mr. Bank's other hotel (peace lodge) in the rain forest for the other portion of our trip. I could go on and on. Just trust me and stay there. It is GREAT!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This resort hotel is amazing! Although it is still under construction, there are so many wonderful things to explore. The hot springs are located on site and just a step away from your room. We also highly recommend the sushi at the resort, the BEST we've ever had! They also have cats, lima's, puma's and panthers, all available to see as you hike down this fabulous landscape to the zoo area. Our room was that of paradise. The photo is the view from our balcony. It overlooked the volcano and was very peaceful and private. I would recommend anyone heading to Costa Rica for relaxation or romance this fabulous Resort and Spa. The spa services are also wonderful, although if you don't speak Spanish, you may have some language barriers. I can't wait to return to this awesome place...

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Awesome place. Very posh. Rooms were great, well stocked minibars. Hot springs on site, varying temperatures. And hey-ya' gotta' give it up for a bar you have to wade up to. Good food everywhere we ate.

We never made it into La Fortuna. It's a bit pricey to stay at the Springs Resort so we wanted to experience it. If you want night life, you'll have to go into the city and you can defintitely stay at a cheaper place. If you want quiet and posh (e.g. families) this is your spot. Note that day passes are available.

Would definitely go back.

Recommendations:
1. Our stay included a complimentary massage. Book it as soon as possible (or even in advance of your arrival) as we were only there two days and couldn't get in.

2. GET THE SUSHI CHESS! It's not on the menu, but they have a game area (pool/darts/large chess board) near the sushi bar. Skip the sushi boat and get the chess instead. They take the board, wrap it in plastic, and bring it back set up. Recommend the tuna for the pawns as it was quite good.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

So I stayed in this hotel two nights in January and there were both hits and misses.

Pros
Mostly consists of the facilities. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms fully equiped. The view in the room is great if you stay during a period when the volcano is not covered by clouds (our first day). The free massage was a nice touch.

Cons
Mostly comes down to service type issues. When we arrived everyone was very nice and gave us a tour and showed us to our room. As the previous few days had been very busy and we were in a spa named after its springs we opted to hang out at the hotel that afternoon. Little did we know that the hotel was going to be spending the day using a jackhammer the entire afternoon to do construction right in the middle of the area with their springs (and near our room). Makes it a little difficult to relax.

Next the hotel is mostly empty and the hotel staff has clearly been streamlined. The springs were unattended when we arrived and eventually one of the construction workers found me a towel. The bartender who came and went made drinks that were small and watered down. The staff seemed to be a bunch of kids hanging out.

The next day we went rafting and were told the road (10 minute drive from any civilization)would be closed most of the day but open up later. When we returned, 2 hours after the road was supposed to be opened, work was still ongoing with several people were standing at the gate with their luggage and unable to get the hotel. Instead of staff available to help we ended up walking a good 20-30min to the hotel while the staff FROM OUR RAFTING TRIP helped out the waiting guests.

Restaurants were average and expensive. Because of the empty resort all dinner menus were replaced by the one from the more expensive restaurant.

Finally, after leaving I forgot an inexpensive but important item to myself in my room (along with a great tip for housekeeping). I emailed a little over 24 hours later and never received a response. Many emails over > 1 week using the web sight contact and the same email contact that they responded to within hours when I initially booked inquiring as to whether anyone had seen my item were ignored. A no but we will keep an eye out for it would have been satisfactory.

In short, did I have a good time? Absolutely (I was in Costa Rica afterall). However, I stayed at many less expensive places during my stay that were more authentic to Costa Rica without the constant problems at Springs. Maybe the jackhammer and road construction were flukes, but the lack of reply to every attempt to contact them after checking out is unforgivable. Might be worth a try, but next time would probably save my money by visiting the springs (on a day without jackhammers) and stay closer to La Fortuna. And finally don't leave anything behind or have a question about your bill, because once you leave they will not respond to communication.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I stayed here with my 9 year old daughter and a friend for 2 nights. This was my third trip to Costa Rica, and I've stayed at Tabacon twice before. The Springs was my favorite hotel of the 7 or 8 that I've stayed in thus far in the Arenal area (although I also recommend the Tree Houses Hotel and Arenal Observatory lodge for their respective amenities).

I highly recommend the Springs over Tabacon, particularly if you have children. Unlike Tabacon, this place is not overrun with people, and the 18 pools at the Springs are all different temperatures (as opposed to those at Tabacon, which are almost all extremely hot as I recall). Although the Springs hot spring pools don't have quite the Garden-of-Eden, hedonistic quality of Tabacon, I found it far more relaxing. On the weekend, there were some other people in the pools, but it was never crowded. On the weekday that we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves! Also, unlike Tabacon, the locker rooms were clean and not crowded.

Also, the Springs is in a fairly isolated place, and it feels much safer than Tabacon.

This place is extremely romantic, and as long as you're not hanging out at the pool with the Monkey Slides, you won't be overrun with kids.

I had a spa service, which was good. I think Tabacon might have a posher spa (with outdoor treatment areas), but the one at the Springs was more reasonably priced and enjoyable.

We had an incredible horse-backriding tour at the Springs. It was very inexpensive and we had incredible views of the volcano. We had a blast galloping around a bit, and we got a private tour of the wild cat zoo that is onsite. (My daughter got to pet a cougar - through the cage - and a monkey too.)

We had the most "basic" room type, and it was astounding. Probably the most gorgeous room I've stayed in anywhere, and I've stayed in some very nice hotels around the world. This "basic" room would cost $1,000 anywhere else....not even considering the perfect volcano view that you get from every room.

The cardio gym has the best view in the world on a clear day. I actually enjoyed my 6 am workout.

There is a business center with free internet as well.

The on-site restaurants were fine - not brilliant, but better than Tabacon. The breakfast buffet was great and reasonably priced. The dinner buffet was also a bargain.

The property is new and it is gorgeous. There's a lot to do here. There are games, a pool table, darts, etc. We spent about 3 days and 2 nights here without leaving the property, and we never got bored.

Also, some people in other reviews previously complained about the road to this property. It is bumpy, but they were resurfacing it while I was staying there in Nov 2009 so I suspect the road is fixed by now.

During this past trip, we spent some time at Arenal Observatory Lodge, then Tree Houses Hotel, and finally the Springs Resort and Spa. We rented a 4 wheel drive SUV and GPS, which was great. It was a perfect combination and I highly recommend staying at a variety of places like this (particularly these places!), as each property offered different and unique things.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!