“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

This resort hotel is amazing! Although it is still under construction, there are so many wonderful things to explore. The hot springs are located on site and just a step away from your room. We also highly recommend the sushi at the resort, the BEST we've ever had! They also have cats, lima's, puma's and panthers, all available to see as you hike down this fabulous landscape to the zoo area. Our room was that of paradise. The photo is the view from our balcony. It overlooked the volcano and was very peaceful and private. I would recommend anyone heading to Costa Rica for relaxation or romance this fabulous Resort and Spa. The spa services are also wonderful, although if you don't speak Spanish, you may have some language barriers. I can't wait to return to this awesome place...

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

1,304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Awesome place. Very posh. Rooms were great, well stocked minibars. Hot springs on site, varying temperatures. And hey-ya' gotta' give it up for a bar you have to wade up to. Good food everywhere we ate.

We never made it into La Fortuna. It's a bit pricey to stay at the Springs Resort so we wanted to experience it. If you want night life, you'll have to go into the city and you can defintitely stay at a cheaper place. If you want quiet and posh (e.g. families) this is your spot. Note that day passes are available.

Would definitely go back.

Recommendations:
1. Our stay included a complimentary massage. Book it as soon as possible (or even in advance of your arrival) as we were only there two days and couldn't get in.

2. GET THE SUSHI CHESS! It's not on the menu, but they have a game area (pool/darts/large chess board) near the sushi bar. Skip the sushi boat and get the chess instead. They take the board, wrap it in plastic, and bring it back set up. Recommend the tuna for the pawns as it was quite good.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

So I stayed in this hotel two nights in January and there were both hits and misses.

Pros
Mostly consists of the facilities. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms fully equiped. The view in the room is great if you stay during a period when the volcano is not covered by clouds (our first day). The free massage was a nice touch.

Cons
Mostly comes down to service type issues. When we arrived everyone was very nice and gave us a tour and showed us to our room. As the previous few days had been very busy and we were in a spa named after its springs we opted to hang out at the hotel that afternoon. Little did we know that the hotel was going to be spending the day using a jackhammer the entire afternoon to do construction right in the middle of the area with their springs (and near our room). Makes it a little difficult to relax.

Next the hotel is mostly empty and the hotel staff has clearly been streamlined. The springs were unattended when we arrived and eventually one of the construction workers found me a towel. The bartender who came and went made drinks that were small and watered down. The staff seemed to be a bunch of kids hanging out.

The next day we went rafting and were told the road (10 minute drive from any civilization)would be closed most of the day but open up later. When we returned, 2 hours after the road was supposed to be opened, work was still ongoing with several people were standing at the gate with their luggage and unable to get the hotel. Instead of staff available to help we ended up walking a good 20-30min to the hotel while the staff FROM OUR RAFTING TRIP helped out the waiting guests.

Restaurants were average and expensive. Because of the empty resort all dinner menus were replaced by the one from the more expensive restaurant.

Finally, after leaving I forgot an inexpensive but important item to myself in my room (along with a great tip for housekeeping). I emailed a little over 24 hours later and never received a response. Many emails over > 1 week using the web sight contact and the same email contact that they responded to within hours when I initially booked inquiring as to whether anyone had seen my item were ignored. A no but we will keep an eye out for it would have been satisfactory.

In short, did I have a good time? Absolutely (I was in Costa Rica afterall). However, I stayed at many less expensive places during my stay that were more authentic to Costa Rica without the constant problems at Springs. Maybe the jackhammer and road construction were flukes, but the lack of reply to every attempt to contact them after checking out is unforgivable. Might be worth a try, but next time would probably save my money by visiting the springs (on a day without jackhammers) and stay closer to La Fortuna. And finally don't leave anything behind or have a question about your bill, because once you leave they will not respond to communication.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I stayed here with my 9 year old daughter and a friend for 2 nights. This was my third trip to Costa Rica, and I've stayed at Tabacon twice before. The Springs was my favorite hotel of the 7 or 8 that I've stayed in thus far in the Arenal area (although I also recommend the Tree Houses Hotel and Arenal Observatory lodge for their respective amenities).

I highly recommend the Springs over Tabacon, particularly if you have children. Unlike Tabacon, this place is not overrun with people, and the 18 pools at the Springs are all different temperatures (as opposed to those at Tabacon, which are almost all extremely hot as I recall). Although the Springs hot spring pools don't have quite the Garden-of-Eden, hedonistic quality of Tabacon, I found it far more relaxing. On the weekend, there were some other people in the pools, but it was never crowded. On the weekday that we were there, we had the whole place to ourselves! Also, unlike Tabacon, the locker rooms were clean and not crowded.

Also, the Springs is in a fairly isolated place, and it feels much safer than Tabacon.

This place is extremely romantic, and as long as you're not hanging out at the pool with the Monkey Slides, you won't be overrun with kids.

I had a spa service, which was good. I think Tabacon might have a posher spa (with outdoor treatment areas), but the one at the Springs was more reasonably priced and enjoyable.

We had an incredible horse-backriding tour at the Springs. It was very inexpensive and we had incredible views of the volcano. We had a blast galloping around a bit, and we got a private tour of the wild cat zoo that is onsite. (My daughter got to pet a cougar - through the cage - and a monkey too.)

We had the most "basic" room type, and it was astounding. Probably the most gorgeous room I've stayed in anywhere, and I've stayed in some very nice hotels around the world. This "basic" room would cost $1,000 anywhere else....not even considering the perfect volcano view that you get from every room.

The cardio gym has the best view in the world on a clear day. I actually enjoyed my 6 am workout.

There is a business center with free internet as well.

The on-site restaurants were fine - not brilliant, but better than Tabacon. The breakfast buffet was great and reasonably priced. The dinner buffet was also a bargain.

The property is new and it is gorgeous. There's a lot to do here. There are games, a pool table, darts, etc. We spent about 3 days and 2 nights here without leaving the property, and we never got bored.

Also, some people in other reviews previously complained about the road to this property. It is bumpy, but they were resurfacing it while I was staying there in Nov 2009 so I suspect the road is fixed by now.

During this past trip, we spent some time at Arenal Observatory Lodge, then Tree Houses Hotel, and finally the Springs Resort and Spa. We rented a 4 wheel drive SUV and GPS, which was great. It was a perfect combination and I highly recommend staying at a variety of places like this (particularly these places!), as each property offered different and unique things.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I just came back from a week in Costa Rica and can not forget such a wonderful experience I had in Arenal and specially at the luxurious and wonderful The Spring Resort and Spa.

It is less than 2 years old, built into the forest, preserving the ecologicalness of the rain-forest. The whole place is from top to bottom AMAZING! Very secluded location yet close to the main road to the active and majestic Arenal Volcano. (It takes about 20 mins drive)

The service is the best and their rooms are very spacious, unique and fabulous! We had a little onsite tour before booking our room so we checked out also the loft style family suite and it was like a mini luxurious condo! (too bad we can't afford it)

We ended up booking the standard villa suite which has view facing the volcano and of course the room is very beautiful. All of their rooms are nicely decorated in natural solid wood, bamboo and granite... I have been to quite many 4, 5 stars resorts (Hawaii, Florida, Caribbean, Asia) and I have to rate this the best in my experience. You have to know what you want. If you are looking for a quiet getaway with a touch of pampering and luxury yet being able to enjoy some outdoor activities and nature, then this is the resort for you. We found this resort in our last day in Arenal so we could only stay for 1 night. My husband and I don't like crowded resort/hotel so this is perfect for us. We enjoyed world class dining in Las Ventanas Restaurant in the resort. The hot mineral springs set in the rainforest is the best place to get peace to your mind and spirit. Again they were not crowded so we had a lot of privacy. My girlfriend and I enjoyed wonderful treatments at their Spa. Rosario was our therapist and she was excellent and professional. This was the best relaxation and spa experience I have ever had and the best part is: the price is good :-)

The Spring is the best resort to stay in Arenal Costa Rica , this is such as unforgettable experience. We took a look inside of other top rated resorts and thermal baths in the area but we liked none of them.

I don't want to write too much in here so you can come to experience it yourself. (keep a little secret :-))

I would like to express our thanks to all their staff at The Springs, particular to Johnny who worked out a special package for us. Also to Andrew who gave us the tour and assisted us in our room. Allan, great friendly guy to show us the Cats zoo and monkeys! Also thanks to Joey, general manager to make our stay such a great experience. Also thanks to Marina V. from tripadvisor for giving us such a great tip! Costa Rica, for sure we will come again. I just can't wait!

anyone likes to know more, welcome to email me.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

I know I could write about many things but any Hotel that delivers a mini eruption for all to see while you have breakfast and also has its own zoo AND waterslide wins hands down.

I could talk about the 13' high ceilings in the room, the balcony with hammocks with Volcano views, the jungle atmosphere as you swim in a swimming pool heated by thermal activity but I guess you'll just have to experience that. The room was massive, with a fantastic level of detail from its Florida based owner.

Yes, this place was deserted when I was there but I don't see this as a negative. One night we had the whole bar, and 5 pools and a water slide all to ourselves (the Pina Colada's were the best I have ever had!) - so ....what's not to like?

The Gym is split into two rooms: one for cardio fitness and one for weights which was the best I have personally ever seen. Nice work Springs Hotel and Spa!

Please note there are only 42 rooms at this hotel so it will never be crowded - isn't this what you want?

Tip for those travelling to the region. There are about 20 cool activities to do straight from the hotel in room book. The Zip Line - SkyTrain / SkyAdventure (same activity) was the best USD$ 66 I have ever spent. I hate heights but was so pumped by doing this activity I really enjoyed myself.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Just returned from a week long trip to Costa Rica with my husband and stayed 2 nights at the Springs. Overall, it was a stunning facility, but like some PP's have mentioned, I am not sure it is quite ready to be considered "5 star". It was the most expensive place we stayed at, but the facilities were top notch. Views and rooms were fantastic, food was moderate to slightly above average. The pools, especially the Perdido Springs pools were great- (don't miss the waterslide, it is more fun and faster than you think it will be). A note about the spa- my husband and I had a couples massage, and it was probably the worse massage I have ever had. I didn't think such a thing was possible, but I think I actually felt more stiff and sore afterwards than I did before. I doubt the therapists were professionals. One more thing, as you will note from the title of my review, there are a TON of stairs to climb at this place. The main hotel building has 5 stories- one for the registration area, one for restaurants, one for the spa etc. If you have any mobility issues- you should make this a consideration. Overall, I was pleased, and would consider going back at some point in the future.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!