“Hurry up and get here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Burleson, Texas
“Hurry up and get here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

This place defies description---it is absolutely a heaven on earth! My husband and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary here and it far surpassed our expectations. We stayed during the low season and we literally had the place to ourselves. Only 37 rooms have been built so far, with 115 planned, so we got there before the crowds, which, believe me, will be coming as soon as the word gets out about this place!! So go now, while it is still relatively unknown. I'm telling you---if you are reading this, make reservations NOW! It is very expensive and worth every penny. We stayed only three nights, and then went to the Manuel Antonio region of Costa Rica. I wish we had spent the entire time here---the scenery is magnificent, the volcano is awe-inspiring and such a delight to wake up to every morning. You can see it out your picture window laying in the super comfy king size bed. Also, there is a family of toucans that live around the resort, and each evening we would watch them frolicking in the trees and calling out to each other.
OK, now, I'll give you some brief pros and cons:
Pros--scenery, room size, jacuzzi tub, huge walk-in shower, view from your room, flora and fauna, food, especially the buffet breakfast, location, amenities, friendly staff, mineral pools, swimming pool, spa services, fitness facilities, wonderful bed, transportation (they will take you to your room or anywhere on the main grounds in a golf cart) .....I could go on and on......words are inadequate....
Cons ---if you have bad feet or knees, this place would be very hard on you. I am 54 years old and work out regularly and this place was a challenge for me. You must climb steep stairs everywhere you go and it can be tiring. There is an elevator at the reception area, but it only goes from the 2nd to 5th floor. You have to climb up to the main building from your room, and then climb to the 2nd floor to reach the elevator. By then, it's almost a moot point to use it to get to the 5th and highest level. Also, you must either climb up or down many, many stairs to go to and from the 18 pools. I found out quickly that my water sandals were no good for this kind of climbing---I had to wear my running shoes most of the time. Also, the area around the pool is very slippery and I saw a couple of people fall down, so be careful and wear good shoes with traction. In addition, the jacuzzi tub in the room is very deep, so a disabled person would find it impossible to get in and out of. And lastly, the sinks do not have a stopper, so you can't soak and rinse clothes in them.
We took one excursion---the Arenal Hanging Bridges---and it was excellent in every way. Also, we had a driver pick us up at the Liberia airport and chauffeur us to the Arenal area---the drive around Lake Arenal was amazing---scenery that is just breath-taking all the way.
So, in summary, as I said at the beginning of this review---GO NOW! If you don't have the money, put it on a credit card and pay it out after you return home. You will not regret visiting this resort and this part of Costa Rica--it is truly a once in a lifetime, unforgettable, life-changing experience! Pura vida!!! (That's "pure life" and is the expression used by everyone you meet in CR)

1,327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
flamingo costa rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We just got back from 1 night at the resort... We had the best time.. Our room was perfect. It was # 103 on the first floor and we could not hear any construction The whole trip was great. We had sushi for lunch and dinner. It was very fresh and yummy.. My wife and child had the breakfast buffet and they loved it.. The pools are perfect.. Do not forget to go to the Lost Springs and the water slide.. My advice check in as early as possible and leave late... Also the gym was one of the best.. We did not mind the dirt road to the resort at all.. It is only 2 miles to the hotel..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

We were originally booked at Peace Lodge and were given the opportunity to stay at The Springs since Peace Lodge was still closed. We decided to spend 4 nights at The Springs and absolutely loved it. People have complained about it being too "Disney" but I thought the entire resort was absolutely beautiful. The pools and landscaping were gorgeous and the views were incredible. The main building seemed to be designed to highlight a view from every angle. Whoever designed this resort had a vision and really took to heart the nature and beauty of Costa Rica. I could appreciate that vision even though some of the rocks were "man-made" and the pools were not natural pools.

We originally had a first floor room which was a handicap room so it had two huge bathrooms. The view was wonderful out a huge picture window or from the patio. Every morning was clear and you had a full view of the volcano. There were also a huge amount of colorful and interesting birds and butterflies to watch right outside the room. I really liked the wood and stone decor. There is a wet bar, coffee maker, fridge, safe, and mini-bar. They also provided at least 8 wonderful fluffy towels each day and nice bathrobes. The entire room was luxurious and the pictures shown on the web-site are dead-on. On the 3rd night they had a plumbing problem with the room next door and there was a strong sewer smell. No problem, they promptly and with no hassle at all and with lots of apologies moved us to a second floor room. They also gave us a coupon for two free massages. The secod floor room had an even better view and I would suggest booking the Alta Vista room if you can.

We went to all the pools and liked them all. They are all different temperatures. There are also bars next to the pools to get drinks. The first few nights we were there we were the only ones using the pools and it was very romantic. As it got closer to the weekend the resort began to get more full, but it in no way ever felt the least bit crowded. In fact it was a little dead at night in that there was really no one at the bars or around the pools.

We ate breakfast there one morning and it is a buffet for $10. The food was ok. My husband had an omelette which was huge and he enjoyed it a lot. That was they only meal with ate there because it was a little pricey. Drinks ranged from $7-$9 and were a little small and contained lots of ice. The buffet dinner was $25.00 per person and the food didn't look all that great so we passed and went into town each night for dinner. We never went to the fancy restuarant Las Ventanas because we just couldn't afford to eat there.

The resort is a little hard to get to if you are not used to driving on dirt roads. We drove the road every day and every night sometimes in the pouring down rain and it wasn't really bad. It's about 2 miles off the main road to get to the resort. Just relax and go slow. It usually took about 10 - 15 minutes to drive it. In fact it was very easy to drive all over La Fortuna for us, even at night. I would highly suggest getting a rental car.

The service at the resort was outstanding. The staff were very friendly and seemed happy to help you in any way. The room was cleaned spotlessly every day. I am so glad that we were able to get a deal and stay at this resort. I think it would be a great place for a honeymoon as well as a family vacation. I hope some day we can return.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

If you enjoy privacy while having every comfort available to you, this is the place to stay. The luxury of the hotel rooms, plus the amazing location and outgoing staff really made the stay at the resort an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Just returned from two days at the Springs Resort in Spa near Mount Arenal and it was relaxing. I really don’t think I could give it less than 5 out of 5 on the rating scale.
We had a regular room but the view of Mount Arenal (when it was shrouded in clouds) was amazing. If this is the view from a regular room I can’t imagine what it would be like from an upgraded room. Actually, the entire hotel has amazing views of the volcano from the pool area to the dining areas. I have been told all the beds are king-sized and ours faced the volcano. We also had a large bathroom with a shower and jacuzzi.
Now to those pools. I think we tried all of them, I can’t remember how many there were, but it was relaxing and enjoyable. From the heated spring pools to the casual pool with the swim up bar I have no real complaints. In fact, we did not check out the Perdido pools until the last day because it looked like they were under construction. I have to say it was a pleasant surprise when we checked them out and had all the pools to ourselves for a couple of hours. We also tried the water slide which was pretty fast and uncontrollable.
The only two downsides of this hotel are one; the last 2.2 miles to the resort are on a rough road. After you turn off the main road it is another 2.2 miles on a rough, boulder strewn road to the resort. Now this won’t bother most people because they will arrive by bus, rental, etc. but we did have our own car and it took a little beating. I don’t know if I would make the drive in a sedan because of clearance issues. Also, seeing we had our own car this made us less likely to venture back and forth into Fortuna for meals because it took about 15 minutes to get back to the main road. Now, I don’t know if this is by design by the hotel to keep guests at the hotel for their meals but it did work on us for one night. Secondly, they have a nice bar food menu at one of the restaurants by the pool although unfortunately that restaurant closes at 7:00 PM and you cannot get room service from that restaurant in your room. That means if you don’t want a formal dinner and just want some bar grub you have to eat early or leave the hotel because the ventanas, buffet and sushi bar do not serve these meals.
Overall though, those 2 negatives are minor inconveniences for the hotel. If you plan on staying here I don’t think you will be disappointed.

NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We recently stayed at The Springs Resort & Spa for 2 nights on our honeymoon to Costa Rica. The pictures and reviews of this place hardly do it justice - just an incredible place. I can't say enough good things!! The staff were amazing, the hotel is 5+ stars, the pools are plentiful, the hot springs are to die for and the food was superb. My husband especially loved the Sushi Bar - said it was top notch! The location is great despite the long bumpy dirt road leading to the hotel. It is so close to all the Arenal attractions that you could ask for. The rooms are spacious, amazing jacuzzi tub, great deck overlooking the volcano and close distance to all the amenities of the hotel yet very private. We enjoyed the honeymoon special they were running and indulged in 1hour massages, mud wrap and facials for only $230. The spa is terrific! The whole stay was slightly pricey but worth every penny - we definitely would go back!

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

we just came back from the Springs Resort in costa rica - its just perfect. the mineral springs are so relaxing - rooms are first class. picture perfect views of volcano. service was excellent, the food delicious and reasonable priced. You feel like youre in paradise - road into resort is a bit rough, you start to doubt whether the pics on internet are accurate but once you arrive your fears are erased. sooo relaxing and peaceful

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!