We were originally booked at Peace Lodge and were given the opportunity to stay at The Springs since Peace Lodge was still closed. We decided to spend 4 nights at The Springs and absolutely loved it. People have complained about it being too "Disney" but I thought the entire resort was absolutely beautiful. The pools and landscaping were gorgeous and the views were incredible. The main building seemed to be designed to highlight a view from every angle. Whoever designed this resort had a vision and really took to heart the nature and beauty of Costa Rica. I could appreciate that vision even though some of the rocks were "man-made" and the pools were not natural pools.
We originally had a first floor room which was a handicap room so it had two huge bathrooms. The view was wonderful out a huge picture window or from the patio. Every morning was clear and you had a full view of the volcano. There were also a huge amount of colorful and interesting birds and butterflies to watch right outside the room. I really liked the wood and stone decor. There is a wet bar, coffee maker, fridge, safe, and mini-bar. They also provided at least 8 wonderful fluffy towels each day and nice bathrobes. The entire room was luxurious and the pictures shown on the web-site are dead-on. On the 3rd night they had a plumbing problem with the room next door and there was a strong sewer smell. No problem, they promptly and with no hassle at all and with lots of apologies moved us to a second floor room. They also gave us a coupon for two free massages. The secod floor room had an even better view and I would suggest booking the Alta Vista room if you can.
We went to all the pools and liked them all. They are all different temperatures. There are also bars next to the pools to get drinks. The first few nights we were there we were the only ones using the pools and it was very romantic. As it got closer to the weekend the resort began to get more full, but it in no way ever felt the least bit crowded. In fact it was a little dead at night in that there was really no one at the bars or around the pools.
We ate breakfast there one morning and it is a buffet for $10. The food was ok. My husband had an omelette which was huge and he enjoyed it a lot. That was they only meal with ate there because it was a little pricey. Drinks ranged from $7-$9 and were a little small and contained lots of ice. The buffet dinner was $25.00 per person and the food didn't look all that great so we passed and went into town each night for dinner. We never went to the fancy restuarant Las Ventanas because we just couldn't afford to eat there.
The resort is a little hard to get to if you are not used to driving on dirt roads. We drove the road every day and every night sometimes in the pouring down rain and it wasn't really bad. It's about 2 miles off the main road to get to the resort. Just relax and go slow. It usually took about 10 - 15 minutes to drive it. In fact it was very easy to drive all over La Fortuna for us, even at night. I would highly suggest getting a rental car.
The service at the resort was outstanding. The staff were very friendly and seemed happy to help you in any way. The room was cleaned spotlessly every day. I am so glad that we were able to get a deal and stay at this resort. I think it would be a great place for a honeymoon as well as a family vacation. I hope some day we can return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park