“One of my favorite experiences ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Orlando, Florida
“One of my favorite experiences ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It is $50 for a two day pass. This is soooo worth the money. This place is top notch all the way. The first day we went down to Club Rio for the animal tour. You get to actually go in the cages and get up close with the birds and the sloths.

After that, we went in some of the smaller hot springs pools at Club Rio and then we went up to the main pool. The next day, we went to Perdido Springs and had a blast! You have to walk to these springs (not far) and it is so worth it. We spent at least two hours there being the ONLY people with our own bartender. I felt like a celebrity renting out a resort. We went on the water slide several times and then we went in all the pools. There is a fantastic view at the pool right by the bar. It has a water fall to massage your shoulders and is a little deeper than the other pools and the temp is excellent! The volcano view is breathtaking and two lizards even sat on top of the falls and bopped their heads to the music.

The frozen drinks are some of the most amazing I have ever had and with taxes and tip they are $11 each. Tips are included in the price. I really just can't say enough about what a fabulous experience this is. It really is a once in a lifetime feeling and should be a must if you are going to the Arenal area.

Tips: Don't really need water shoes because the pools are all smooth on the bottom, the drive to the lodge is on an unpaved road, way off the main road and you need an SUV, Club Rio has tubing that looks really fun, Perdido Springs pools are the best! Also, everyone who works there is bilingual so you can communicate in Spanish or English.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We are finishing up a 6 night stay here at the Springs and it has been more that we ever could have imagined. Even when when we were told that the hotel was at full capacity, there are so many springs that every couple can have one to themselves and it never feels crowded. The food here is pretty good and I don't think it's over priced. The bread and pastry products could have been better. We did bring some food so we didn't have to have breakfast at the restaurant every day but when we did, we really enjoyed it. They have a good mix of local selections and regular American style waffles, eggs, etc. you can get the buffet or do a la carte at the restaurant. The hotel arranged for transportation from the airport and my suggestion would be to have your driver stop so you can pick up some wine, snacks, etc on the way in. We didn't rent a car and were here for 7 days and didn't miss it a bit. We did an activity here at Club Rio or offsite every day and many of those trips include lunch at a local restaurant so we got a bit of local flavor. We had planned to get a cab and go to town but talked to other couples who did and said that we weren't missing anything so we just stayed here. We planned excursions in the am when the weather was clear and were glad we did. It rains in the afternoon daily and I don't think the experience would be as good. By the way, I am convinced that the rainy season is the best time to go. Yes, it will rain every day but in our experience, pretty much only in the pm and not all afternoon. It is a rain forest. What do you want? And the animals are active, the excursions aren't crowded at all. The guides say that you get a more personal experience and that there are better water levels for water activities in the wet season. We did zip lining with Sky and it was unreal. We did rafting with Wave Expeditions and views were beautiful with many animal sightings. We did canyoning with La Roca and had a blast...very exciting. We also did several activities at Club Rio and these were easy, fast, and worth it. We liked kayaking better than tubing because it way nice to have some control.

One suggestion for the Springs: it would make a whole lot of sense to offer the lunch menu from Treetops Grill in the evening at the pool bar. It's pretty weird that they offer the dinner menu from the upstairs restaurant with steaks, pasta, etc at a swim up bar. If you want to sit in a chair in the water to eat, you probably want drinks and a faster, cheaper meal, not a $35 steak. The Treetops menu was great and Missed it in the evenings.

Also, be sure to go see Donald at Los Perdidos, the Springs hidden in the woods. He works at the bar there and is super nice. It's quiet back there and he is often your own personal bartender.

Booking trips through the concierge is the way to go. They handle everything and even guides through outside companies told us that you don't save money by booking through the outside companies.

• Stayed October 2014
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We traveled to The Springs for the second leg of our honeymoon (the first part we stayed at the Occidental Grand Papagayo on the Pacific coast). This resort is truly one of a kind. There are so many beautiful details - and the view cannot be beat! This resort is everything you read in these reviews and more, so I will spare you the details. Just know it is fabulous and not to be missed! I did want to leave a couple of comments/feedback for management to help make this resort even better.

Breakfast - The buffet was delicious! But, at around $16 per person it gets very expensive to eat there every day. Your only other options are to order a la carte from the room service menu, but that will cost you an additional $5 for the room service fee. I would suggest having the restaurant offer a la carte items - I don't need a full buffet everyday! Sometimes I just wanted some eggs and bacon, or oatmeal, cereal etc.

Water - Bottles of water are $3 from your room. When we went on excursions we wanted to take a bottle with us - again as you can imagine, this gets very pricey. It would be nice if there was water and coffee set up in the lobby, so you could take a water bottle or coffee container and fill it up before leaving for exursions. When we're paying over $500 a night for a room, I would expect free water and coffee at the very least.

Tip for other travelers: As you can tell from my comments above, we were on a "budget" so maybe we were just staying at the wrong resort (we still LOVED this resort, just found it to be expensive for us). I had done my research before we left and knew the drinks would be expensive. Imperial beer was $4.50 and mixed drinks were average around $9.00. That's pretty pricey in my opinion. We stopped by duty free when we got to Costa Rica and bought a few bottles of wine. Instead of spending a ton of money on drinks at the resorts, we went back to our room and drank in our hot tub at night (we stayed in the Honeymoon Vista).

These are just very nit picky things. We are also late twenties, and having just paid for our wedding, we probably didn't have as much to spend as other travelers. Costa Rica is a beautiful country with the nicest people. We fell in love with the La Fortuna area and will definitely visit again at some point in our lives. Thank you for a beautiful honeymoon!

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Definitely 4.5 star hotel. Room was huge, beautiful. Staff was fantastic. Read the website for a good description. The reason it was not good for me: 1) Very far from town $20 taxi ride to anywhere so you are isolated; 2) very american vibe even worse Florida vibe (much of the rock work around the hot springs is stamped concrete; 3) from the rooms to the reception area is easily a 5 story walk up stairs and ramps. I ended up strategically planning my time so that I would not have to visit my room between meals and activities it just takes a while to walk that distance and I have a knee that objects to too many stairs in one day. Yes they would have driven me from room to reception if I had requested, but that would be too wimpy/embarrassing. 4) one last note, for anyone planning a stay here with alcohol-issues, the room's honor bar has a larger supply of wine and liquors that anywhere I have ever stayed. Very tempting to run up a huge bar bill in the room staring at the volcano.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went to the Springs Resort and Spa for our first anniversary, looking for a beautiful, relaxing atmosphere to really see Costa Rica's nature. This hotel was everything we were hoping for and more. The rooms are INCREDIBLE with the most awesome views right from your bed. The private balconies were wonderful and the views were just mind-blowing everywhere you looked. The hot springs were breath taking, and we loved being there during the off season with so much privacy and space to relax away from it all. We almost didn't want to review this place so it can be our little "secret," but it truly is an experience.

Club Rio was a lot of fun and I definitely recommend the tubbing...it was a blast. We had a wonderful couples massage at the spa as well. Everyone was super friendly and helpful and they do like it when you try to speak Spanish.

The only negatives I could think of is it would be nice if they paved the 3.5 km entrance way because it is really bumpy and uncomfortable after a long trip from the airport. Also this is mainly a relaxing hotel that revolves around the beautiful springs...there is not a lot to do at night especially for kids. This was totally ok with us, but maybe worth mentioning. The food was good but the menu didn't change so maybe a little boring, and we spent about $35-40 a night (just for 1 item each) which isn't great but definitely could have been worse. The town of Fortuna is not far away and has a lot of great restaurants and a supermarket that we enjoyed as a "getaway."

DEFINITELY try the Rappelling/white water rafting combo excursion- it was one of the absolute coolest things we did with a company called Desafario (you can book through the concierge). I would say (in my opinion) not for kids and that you definitely want to have some level of fitness because there is some challenging parts, but SO WORTH IT! We rappelled right next to a 220 ft waterfall...insane!

This place is a MUST SEE AND DO!!!

Room Tip: Honestly every room seemed great to us...we had the cheapest possible room and it was AMAZING so I w...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie M, Manager at The Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear mkreps28,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing to leave the review and share your experience with others. I am thrilled to see that you were able to enjoy your stay with us. Arenal is an adventure packed area that offers tours for all ages, but I am happy to see you were able to make the most of it! Our on-site outdoor center, Club Rio, is always a blast for all ages - especially the tubing, as are our off-site activities such as the combo adventure tour that you mentioned. Once again, thank you for spending a few days with us and we hope to see you back soon!

At your service,

Melanie@thespringscostarica.com
North Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My lady and I decided to take a trip to Costa Rica for my birthday, and this gem of a resort happened upon us. We met the owner of the establishment on the airplane, and from the moment we spoke, I could tell that the stay would be unbelievable.

We were greeted by a pair of incredibly helpful doormen who helped us with our bags and remembered our names through the duration of the trip. Natalia at the front desk was very prompt and attentive to our needs and made us feel like a part of the family. All of the members of the wait-staff must have had incredible memories, because they all knew our names and preferences with only being told once.

This particular resort offers some of the best hot springs in the area, and a wide variety of on-site amenities - horseback riding, 4-wheeler tours, kayaking and tubing to name a few. Included in the stay is also a wildlife tour featuring toucans and other native animals.

The rooms were nicely decorated, spacious, and the beds very comfortable. The Family Studio that we stayed in slept 6 comfortably with a large king in the downstairs and a queen with two couch style beds provided in the upstairs.

An amazing view of Arenal Volcano is available from most rooms, but a higher floor will afford you better views than lower (provided the weather is cooperating during your stay).

We look forward to visiting and staying for longer on our next visit to the area!

Room Tip: Higher floors will provide a better view of the Arenal Volcano on clear days.
Dear Mhenninger,

First things first - Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing to spend your birthday with us. As you may have noticed, our owner is a big inspiration and motivator for all of our staff. I will be sure to thank and reward all of the people you have mentioned in your review - Natalia, the bell staff, and everyone at our restaurants. We strive to provide all of our guests with flawless service and create lasting memories from arrival to departure. Once again, thank you for your stay and please do not hesitate to contact us directly for your next visit.

At your service,

Jupiter, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my first time to visit Costa Rica . What a perfect location and perfect decision to choose the springs Costa Rica . The accommodations at the villa calatea were fit for the most discriminating of travelers. The staff in all departments were amazing! The most beautiful setting in the world in the rainforest overlooking the volcano. The hot springs were so relaxing along with the monkey slide which made it even more fun. We had a full size kitchen which was fully stocked with wine , beverages and snacks. We had a separate patio with 2 hammocks and a private outdoor shower. Our villa also had its own stone hot tub outside . The staff was extremely happy and attentive. This trip was also quite the adventure. I tried waterfall repelling and zip lining for the first time in my life. Although I was was nervous, the staff was so professional and confident..I knew I should have no concerns. They helped me create a lifetime of memories. The food in every restaraunt was amazing! Thank you To everyone at The Springs for making this a vacation of a lifetime!

Dear Beth C,

I can't thank you enough for all of the genuine and thoughtful comments in your review. Our staff works very hard day and night to ensure that all of our guests have the experience of a lifetime and leave with the memory of "royalty service". I am happy to hear you were able to experience the zip-lining and waterfall rappelling tours... what a fun way to spend your vacation!

We truly thank you for taking the time to write a review, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Warm Regards,

Melanie@thespringscostarica.com

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!