“My time at The Springs made me never want to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
“My time at The Springs made me never want to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Springs resort and staff was amazing! The venue itself is beautiful, clean, and the views are to die for. The hot springs have to be the most amazing part of the resort. So relaxing and beautiful. The resort's Club Rio accommodations were awesome as well. We went on a horseback ride and took a tour of their wild animal conservatory. Nichole was so helpful in preparing us for our ride and Nano was our wonderful tour guide. Marvin was our tour guide for the animal conservatory. He took his time with us and had lots of great information about the animals. The staff was also very helpful with setting up activities outside of their facility. Melanie helped us reserve our zip lining tour, which was also a breathtaking experience. The food was amazing and fresh. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I felt so welcomed. Pura Vida!

• Stayed July 2014

1,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We ended up grabbing a last minute long weekend break at The Springs Resort and Spa the last weekend in July and ended up enjoying a magical weekend at their Villa Guayaba. Arenal is one of our favourite places to go here in Costa Rica and having stayed at a few hotels already I was very excited about finally getting to try out The Springs.

Villa Guayaba was even more beautiful in real life than in the pictures we had seen before on the website. The Villa sleeps four people with the chance to add a roll-away and/or crib for children. It has two bathrooms, one jacuzzi inside and a private plunge pool outside on the terrace. The Villa has a well equipped kitchen as well which was fantastic when traveling with children. We went to stock up on food and drinks to please everyone at the local Super Christian just outside of La Fortuna before retreating to our wonderful private paradise in the jungle.

The best thing with the Villa was that it comes with your personal golf cart so you can whizz up and down the mountain whenever you feel like it. I think this was one of the favourite things around here for my husband and my little girl.

When she was not riding the golf cart, our three year old was up and down in the hot springs here on the property as well as enjoying lots of time in the private plunge pool. The hot springs were very beautifully laid out, but not as hot as at Tabacon which was a bit of a disappointment. Although, having our own private pool with heating and jets made up for that, as did the fact that we could supervise her from the hammocks!

A must see attraction right on site is the Club Rio adventure center that they have set up at the bottom of the canyon. You can take the bus from just outside the lobby every half an hour to head down there throughout the day. We had a walk around in the jungle, discovering little secluded hot springs here and there as well as checked out the river where you can do tubing and rafting. They also offer rock wall climbing, horse back riding and there is an animal rescue centre where you can all kinds of animals. And there is a restaurant as well in case you get hungry. What's amazing with this set up is that you do not even have to leave your hotel to get to do all these activities while from many other hotels you have to be bussed for hours for these experiences.

In general the experience was fantastic, the staff on site was knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. The cleaning personnel was amazing and took great care of us throughout our stay, leaving fun towel animals in their wake every time they stopped by for the three year old to discover. At the Villa we had cleaning once in the morning and then they stopped by at night again wanting to "prepare the bed for the night". We actually never ended up having this second cleaning service as the children were already asleep by the time they showed up (7.30pm), but they left us chocolates instead to make up for that.

We only enjoyed the breakfasts at the hotel and instead chose to cook all the other meals at the house. The breakfast selection was extensive and they even offered egg white omelets and freshly squeezed juices of your own choice which was great. I had a cheeky cocktail one night as well to try out how well the bartenders can whip up a Caipirinha, they excelled at the task and I got to enjoy a delicious treat in our lit up plunge pool while listening to the sound of the jungle and the stream next door. Best of all, the bartender told me I can just give the bar a call if I want another one and he will personally deliver it!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just got back from CR and WOW! What an amazing family vacation. Things we loved about this hotel:
- EVERYONE on staff was super friendly, helpful and accommodating
- despite the rain (and there was a lot during our visit) there was plenty for the family to do
- Food was very good (not WOW) and restaurants were very accommodating to tastes - you could even order from another restaurant on property
-rooms were spacious, clean and made us feel like we were in CR. We were in room 217 which had 2 bedrooms. Kids (ages 10 and 13) slept in twin beds in one room. 2 full bathrooms. back patio with hot springs jacuzzi tub/pool and hammocks
-Club Rio is this hotel's activity center. The hotel buses you to Club Rio (about an 8-10 min ride) You can rock climb, go horseback riding, see exotic animals up close, river tubing and more. The staff is great and the amenities are super...even the bathrooms.
-The kids' game room was also great. It felt different than other hotel "game rooms." Andre was on staff and engaged with the kids. In addition to some xbox type games there was ping pong, and board games and puzzles. We did not fly all the way to CR to let our kids hang out in the game room, but when they did, Andre ensured everyone was safe and engaged.
-concierge - johnny and nicole were awesome. I tasted some salsa linzano at one of our trek adventure lunches and wanted to bring some back home. I was told I could get some at any local grocery store. Johnny picked some up in plastic bottles (good for travel) at his local grocery store. WOW!
- housekeeping....left cute towel-gami animals on our beds. I asked one of the housekeepers if she could dazzle us with a few more animals and when we came back...wow! a frog, dinosaur, alligator and cat were waiting for us.
- for the ladies - nice hair blowers in the room...better than the mini travel ones we can't stand!
-organized....we planned several adventures thru different companies and the hotel staff made sure we went on our different adventures with the right company.
Can't say enough great things about this hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

When traveling outside of the United States for vacation, it's difficult to find a place that has great food, a safe environment, and amazing accommodations and amenities. The Springs Resort exceeded all of our expectations and Costa Rica didn't disappoint. We will definitely bring our family on this adventure again!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at The Springs for 5 nights. The property and the Hot Springs were amazing. We loved the area and the view on the Volcano. We were particularly well served at the restaurant by Mr José Antonio Miranda. He was very nice and helpful. But the only thing that the Springs should improve is the food. The breakfast was limited and repetitive. At the dinner, it was good but not exceptional. Sorry, as a French, I can tell you it's a poor value for the money :) Overall, the resort is excellent. Enjoy !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our family of six (ages 8-68) visited Cost Rica in July and we stayed at the Springs for all five nights. Our first impression was amazing, we had been in our shuttle for three hours coming from the airport and pulling into the resort felt like heaven. The gentlemen that run the entrance to the hotel immediately grabbed our suitcases and encourage us to take a tour of the property with a guide. The tour is brief, only about 10 minutes, but shows you what the hotel has to offer and included a refreshing juice beverage (with alcohol in it for the adults). The guide then escorted us to our rooms, my parents stayed in a Vista guest room while my husband, two children, and I stayed in a suite. We chose the Oropendola Suite because it had two rooms, our kids stayed upstairs and we stayed downstairs. Note that this suite (as opposed to the family suite) is two full, separate rooms with doors. The family suite is a room with a full loft area above it but is open to below. Our rooms were really beautiful, with lavish baths and wood detail throughout. Both the Vista and the Oropendola had a patio or balcony that overlooked the lower part of the resort and the volcano, as well as two hammocks that my children loved. Unfortunately, it rained every day, pretty much all day, while we were there, so we never saw the entire volcano, and some days the clouds were so thick that visibility off our balcony could be measured in feet.
As others have mentioned, there is quite a climb from the rooms up to the main part of the hotel. It's not particularly far, it's just steep. You can call for someone to come get you in the golf cart, but that felt like cheating to us and we never did. (My mother noted that when we returned home she had actually lost four pounds, which she credits to all of the hiking to/from the rooms.)
The hotel property is absolutely gorgeous. The grounds are manicured and have lush plants. The springs are varied, with some out in the open and others more tucked into hidden areas in the rainforest. The temperature of the springs varies from 103 degrees (the hottest we found) down to something closer to 88 degrees, and down in the Perdido Springs part of the resort the pools get cooler the lower you get, with the water slide connecting the last two pools.
We also really enjoyed Club Rio, the adventure center on the resort grounds (most activities cost extra). You do have to take a five minute bus ride from the resort lobby down to the club, and the bus runs every 30 minutes. Our first full day at the resort we took the bus down to the club and went horseback riding through the rainforest (as a nice safety touch, helmets were provided and required for all riders). We then stayed at the club and had a guided tour of their animal rescue center (which is free). We especially appreciated having access to the animal rescue center to see sloths, ocelots, jaguars, and monkeys, since we did not see much wildlife "in the wild" while in Costa Rica. It was also nice that this was a rescue center, not a zoo, and each of the animals had a story about how they came to the rescue center, usually because they started as someone's pet. We were supposed to tube the river at the club that afternoon, but because of all the rain the river was too high and tubing was cancelled. While we appreciated how safety-consious they were, we were disappointed because we never had the opportunity to tube while we were there.
My mother, 13 year old daughter, and I took advantage of the hotel spa one afternoon for body polish and massage, and it was lovely. The spa is nice and tranquil and it's kind of neat to be in a treatment room and hear the ACTUAL rainforest noises outside, as opposed to a sound machine. As an added bonus, at the end of the treatment they open the curtains and the window and you see and hear the rainforest as you come back to your senses. While the ladies enjoyed the spa, the boys did the rock climbing wall at Club Rio and had a blast.
The hotel is probably only a few miles from La Fortuna, but due to poor roads it is a 15+minute drive just to get from the resort to the main "highway" through town, so while we left the hotel almost every day for an activity, we never left the hotel for meals. Only the main resort restaurant serves breakfast, but it is a huge buffet including a griddle station that will make eggs, pancakes, french toast, and waffles for you, and a juice bar, so we were always happy with breakfast. Two restaurants offer lunch, the main restaurant and a "treetop grill" that has a limited menu but an amazing covered patio with a view. There are three dinner choices, the main restaurant, a sushi bar, and a more formal restaurant that requires reservations (which are easy to get). We tried all of the restaurants except the sushi restaurant and were very pleased. The food was good, albeit a bit expensive. Breakfast for six was always $100, lunch was usually about $100, and dinner closer to $200 (with very little, if any, alcohol). Our most reasonably priced meal was a room service dinner we ordered one night that we all decided to congregate in our suite and watch a movie. (We also took advantage of the resort's extensive and VERY current DVD collection that they will loan out for free.) In general, I felt that the food was more reasonably priced and better than it had to be because we were pretty much a captive audience, but my husband felt it was overpriced. As a nice perk, at dinner at the main restaurant, the waiter offered to bring our kids' meals as an appetizer, allowing them to eat and then go to the game room to play while the adults finished dining. This was a big hit with the kids, who made good friends with the game room chaperone.
We found virtually all of the staff at the resort to be friendly and accommodating. All spoke excellent English, certainly not expected but appreciated. Weeks prior to our arrival, I worked with the concierge to schedule all of our activities (which I highly recommend, to ensure availability of the activities you want). The concierge did a great job answering my questions via email and scheduling everything, other than the tubing (not their fault) we did everything we booked in advance and had a fantastic time. We booked the activities thru the hotel that are listed on their website. Some are at Club Rio, but others are with third party vendors and we found all of them to be highly professional establishments with great people. I figured that we paid a premium for booking through the hotel, which I figured was worth it of the convenience, but I discovered after we got home that we paid the same rates as someone who booked directly with the vendors, which was nice. All of the activities picked us up at the hotel and were surprisingly prompt (I kind of expected an "island time" mentality). In addition to our activities at Club Rio mentioned above, we did zip lining, waterfall canyon rappelling (amazing) and white water rafting. I reviewed those separately through the vendor's Trip Advisor sites.
While the resort property is huge, they have less than 50 rooms, so we never felt crowded. There was never a fight for a lounge chair by the pool (now, that could have been because it RAINED pretty much our whole stay), the swim up bars were quick and attentive, and there was never a wait for any meals at any of the restaurants. There was one night we returned from our activity to discover the resort had been invaded by a large group off of a tour bus. I expected this, as I had read about it in other reviews, but was surprised that we never felt the presence of all the extra people. Part of that may be because we headed to our rooms to freshen up for dinner and then had dinner at the reservations restaurant, but regardless it was not a problem.
Despite the chronic rain and low visibility, our entire group really enjoyed our stay at The Springs and if we were to return to the area we would definitely stay there again.

Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Summary - We would go again in a heartbeat! Pura Vida!

We spent 4 nights at The Springs and 4 nights on the pacific coast. It was painful to leave this place. It was absolutely exquisite and first class all the way. I cannot describe how breathtaking the views and the experience was for us as a family. We were there from July 11th until the 15th. We had 2 beautiful rooms for the 5 of us (17, 16, and 13 year olds) on the second floor (alta vista) and our views, while cloudy, were beautiful. The food was great and the service spectacular. The wildlife is also amazing. I travel over 100,000 miles a year consistently for the last 8 years and go to Europe/UK, Asia Pac, India, and all over North America. This is without a doubt one of the best experiences and staff I have ever been around. They really know how to make you feel special. The rooms, the views, and facilities are exceptional.

There is plenty to do there both included and that have additional costs. During the day we enjoyed Club Rio (kayaking, tubing, horseback riding, Extreme ATV, and the zoo). We also went zip lining one day; an absolute must if you are not afraid of heights. We absolutely took advantage of the spa, and it was very nice. In the evenings we enjoyed the hot springs all over the property and ate in every location. Definitely check out Perdido Springs at least once. You will enjoy it. The bartender there is really nice. The bar food is great (good variety) and Ventanas excellent. The sushi bar was just ok, but we are picky with our sushi. We closed down the swim-up pool bar most nights, as things close early there. Everything starts shutting down at 9:30 for a 10:00 close.

If we had one wish, it would be for wait staff around the springs so you did not have to get up and get out to get another drink from the bar.

I wish we could name all the wonderful wait staff, tour guides, and bartenders, but this would go on forever. I will finish how I started. While expensive, this place is worth the experience and we would go again in a heartbeat. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have good views, but the upper levels are definitely easier to get to the main...