“Amazing Resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Deal
Save on Tour tickets
Cleveland, Georgia, United States
“Amazing Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Our family spent 4 nights at The Springs and had an amazing time! It rained every morning (we went to the rain forest during the rainy season...), but we had nice weather about every afternoon/evening. We were able to see the Arenal volcano (the locals said it hadn't been seen in 15 days!)-beautiful view from the entire resort-even from our room. All of the staff was extremely welcoming from the time we got there. The bell staff, front desk help and concierge were very helpful in answering all of our questions and assisting us in all of our needs.

The rooms are amazing! The trim and woodwork details are beautiful and the bathroom is huge and very accommodating. The hotel staff has thought of everything-umbrellas in the room and many other details. We enjoyed spending time on the back porch, and we slept with the door open (amazing screen doors allowed this) until the last night we were there, my daughter almost stepped on a boa constrictor outside our room-we decided to close the doors then.

The hot springs and pool were great! Our daughter made sure that she got in all 18 of them. She loved the monkey slide. Club Rio was great fun, and we also took a short drive to the hanging bridges for a hike one day.

The food and drinks were good, just pricey-especially since there aren't any nearby alternative choices. Our bill at checkout was over $750 just for food/drinks for 3 of us (and we only had 2 meals most days with afternoon snacks).

The spa was great and we definitely took advantage of the spa credit that was offered with our booking. My daughter and I had massages and I indulged in a facial and they were amazing! Mayra and Ruby did a fine job. The front desk staff was also very friendly, welcoming and informative.

My daughter enjoyed to game room each night. Andrey was staffing the game room and played ping pong and other games with my daughter and we also had a great time talking with him about the local life.

We also took advantage of the resort credit for Club Rio and truly enjoyed all of the activities and spent part of 3 different days venturing through what Club Rio has to offer.

All-in-all, we had a great time and really liked this resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in a vista guest room and it was stunning! I don't believe you can have a bad choice...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our stay at the Springs Resort was nothing short of incredible. From the time we arrived at the reception until the moment we left, the staff went out of their way in every possible way to make sure our stay in Arenal was enjoyable and perfectly coordinated.

Our room was beautiful and spacious and even had a jacuzzi on the porch (highly recommended). The various springs, hot tubs and water slide around the resort are amazing and is a great way to relax after a day of fun filled adventure activities. The concierge and staff truly go above and beyond to make every need and request is attended to and everything is done with a smile.

The manager Luis did everything in his power to make us comfortable and happy, we've never experienced such hands on treatment from management and it went a long way.
Charlie in the kitchen made sure all our meals were a cut above the rest and met our standards. Jason and Alex at the front desk worked hard to extend our stay at the hotel as we had a late flight and needed a place to change and get ready after a long day of activities. Jose and Erick did their best to fulfill all of our requests, no matter how small they were. Johnny and Nicole at the concierge made sure to coordinate some of our trips last minute and went out of their way to make sure we could accomplish all we wanted. Fabian on the night shift was great as well. In particular, the different activities at Camp Rio on the hotel premises is highly recommended especially the river tubing.

For anyone looking for a top notch yet comfortable and relaxed environment in Arenal, look no further - The Springs is the place to be!

Room Tip: The jacuzzi on the porch is a great room to get!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ridgefield,CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Just returned from the springs for a 10th anniversary trip with the kids. Our room was lovely and the hot springs were very nice. The resort is very clean and housekeeping was fantastic. Some of the staff went out of the way but others ignored you. The breakfast buffet is varied but otherwise the food is awful and it is a 40 dollar trip to town, which makes you feel like you are trapped. They seem concerned with customer service in words but not so much in actions. We had special silver bracelets that were supposed to alert the staff that we were celebrating, but no one mentioned a word the whole stay. Everything is very expensive and the tours cost a fortune but at least you get a chance to see all the country has to offer. All in all, I wish the staff had been more attentive and the food up to par.

• Stayed July 2014
Dublin, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This property is simply stunning; from the rich warm woodwork that adorns the walls, to the beautifully tiled flooring, and amazing views from nearly every inch of the main building and guest rooms.

Upon arrival we were promptly greeted by the staff, given a quick tour of the property, which included a cold beverage that tasted very good after our 4-hour ride from the airport. The property is a bit remote, but it’s well worth the journey if you’re in search of such a hidden gem.

The guest rooms are perfectly designed. Amazing views, lots of room to store your stuff, great lighting with dimmers (nice) and enough flat surfaces to satisfy those of us who need to spread out. Electrical outlets are everywhere. The adult beverage selection within the room was extensive and included a nice selection of wine, liquor, beer and soda. A full size coffee maker or maybe a single cup brewer would have been the only thing that could be improved. The small 4-cup hotel version is not sufficient for those of us that enjoy several cups while sitting on the balcony in the morning.

The food was fresh and tasty with several options for dining. Club Rio which is located on property, provides a great opportunity to see flowers, waterfalls, gecko’s and even the occasional frog. And the birds, of every shape and color are everywhere.

The property was spotless clean. I witness them dusting the light fixtures, every archway and even under the trash cans daily. The restrooms were always spotless as well.

The staff was a bit of a mixed bag. Some were excellent, many more were very good, and a couple stood out as outstanding. I’m admittedly very critical in this area, so fair warning.

The shuttle driver who took us from the main building to Club Rio was outstanding. He ran the shuttle on a Swiss watch schedule, was very welcoming, remembered us, and pointed out interesting birds and other animals along the brief one-mile ride down the Club. The housekeeper who was sweeping the leaves from the roadway (yes, actually sweeping the road) saw me from 100 feet away and could have easily kept right on working, instead, took the time to stop sweeping, looked up, made eye contact, smiled and waved a big good morning! WOW! I felt like the only person in the world she cared about at that very moment.

An opportunity for improvement – for a hotel of this caliber that only has 47 rooms, I don’t expect to have to get up and look for someone to bring me more coffee during breakfast. I don’t expect to have to wait even 15 seconds for two staff members to finish their conversation before acknowledging me waiting to speak with them. And I don’t expect to have to go find umbrella’s myself when it’s clear to the staff members standing in the same area that it’s pouring rain and I’m trying to figure out how to get to my guest room without getting soaked. Truly world-class staff anticipates the guests needs and meets them before the guest even realizes they need help. As an example, when staying at another property recently – my wife and I had finished breakfast, well I had finished I should say. My wife was still trying to drink down a bit more coffee as I was rushing her onto our next location. A waiter noticed this from afar and rushed over with a to-go cup for my wife. We didn’t even need to ask. In fact we hadn’t even thought about asking. He saw the pending need and took care of it before we even realized it was a need!! That’s world-class service.

Overall I would highly recommend The Springs Resort & Spa. It’s a world-class property that was designed by a brilliant architect, has views and views and views, is spotlessly clean, serves great fresh food and offers very good to outstanding service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a huge facility and actually pretty fun, even for a 59-year old couple! There are several different types of restaurants and many, many pools, with about half of them being fed by natural hot springs. The pools are man made, pretty tastefully, and several are connected. We had these pools to ourselves many times. We even made a challenge for fun of making sure we got in every single one of them! The little kid in us came out!

The restaurants went from an outdoor grill to an upscale dinner service only restaurant. La Ventanas is the “fancy” one and we ate there three of the nights we stayed. The food was delicious and much more creative than the other restaurants. Except the Sushi one. We enjoyed that twice and found we liked sitting in the outdoor sushi bar. No matter where you eat you can purchase a bottle of wine and they will keep it for you, retrieving it later at which ever place you eat. The grill and the large “regular” restaurants had mediocre food where they appeared to try to make western food and not quite getting it. We found it hard to find Costa Rican food at this resort. But, the breakfast buffet was great!

Our room was very nice and had a patio with a spring fed hot tub. We really enjoyed this as the rains came! Our view was of the volcano which was just beautiful. The bathroom was really nice and large. We were extremely happy with the room and recommend the hot tub ones. The only down side was the sounds we could here from other guests all around us. One was the screen doors slamming every time someone came in or out of their room. We could also hear every conversation going on in the surrounding rooms when they were on their patio….so be careful what you say!

Overall we had a good time but next time we will try some other place and see if we can find something that is more Costa Rican and our taste.

Room Tip: Room with a spa on the patio!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is the place to go if you have an active family. We loved the tubing and horseback riding-- all on property. There is a fun and fast waterslide that splashes you down into a 93 degree mineral pool. The kids loved it. After you are done with your hiking or other adventure there are countless thermal pools to relax in-- the brochure says 18, but I swear there were more! I highly recommend the "Calcium Trail" down in Club Rio where you will find hidden mineral pools that you can most likely enjoy by yourself. We were not fortunate during our 4 night stay to see the whole of Arenal Volcano but the area is beautiful in itself. The positives of this hotel far outweigh any complaints, but I will mention that the food, while mostly good, was hit or miss. The beef, in particular always seemed to be tough.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, consider that there will be a lot of heavy rain, especially in the rainy...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was one of my favourite hotels I've ever been too. There was lots to do here, but also plenty of places to relax. The property was amazing. It was lush and had amazing views of the volcano. We stayed in the Toucan building and the room was exceptional. The view while just lying in our bed was so great, I brought my camera to bed to take a picture of my wake-up view. The balconies were comfortable, with large cushioned chairs and hammocks.
The property was beautiful. There were hot spring pools everywhere, and even a waterside for my kids. There was also a normal pool if you didn't want hot water. The restaurants and property were beautiful. You could eat sushi by the bar, eat burgers in an open restaurant overlooking the rainforest, or even the main restaurant was mostly outdoors and amazing.
Club Rio was great and so much fun. My 9 year old daughter and I did the Tubing in the river. The guides were great and experienced, and made sure my daughter was safe and having fun. We also did the tour of the wildlife sanctuary, and the guide (Christian) was very knowledgeable.
In short, I have no complaints and if I could get to this resort without the 3 hour drive from a major airport, I would probably come back every year.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!