“Wedding in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Florida
“Wedding in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

There are really not words that can properly describe the overall beauty of this magnificent hotel. The views, the staff, the cleanliness, the food, and the location are just perfect. I thought there was plenty to do, and honestly, the staff couldn't have been more accomodating. We stayed in a Honeymoon Vista, which was perfect for my husband and I. The Honeymoon Vista's have there own personal hot spring pool, which was an added bonus, but to be honest, there are so many hot springs throughout the property, we didn't use it nearly as much as we had thought.

We had the privilege of getting married at The Springs on 5/15/14 and it was perfect (minus a few things that after the fact, I would have changed). The staff did an amazing job with the wedding location, which consisted of an arch covered in flowers and overlooked the Arenal Volcano. It was only my husband and I, so we opted for the elopement package. I hired an officiant (through Marcelo Galli's services) and a photographer that came to the resort and they were both perfect. The photographer (Fabian from Costa Rica Weddings) took us outside of the resort to take additional pictures at La Fortuna's Waterfall, so needless to say, we're very excited to see how the pictures turned out. I would highly recommend both the officiant and photographer that we utilized.

For those of you who may consider The Springs for your destination wedding, I do highly recommend it, however just a few things that I wish I would have done but didn't. First, I would have done my own hair and makeup. I had the hotel set up an appointment with a local girl who bless her heart, was very kind, however, I didn't like my makeup or my hair. I brought a picture of a style that I thought would have been simple but that was me assuming unfortunately. Looking back, I wish I had spoken up when I was getting ready to leave for the ceremony but we were already running behind schedule and I felt rushed, so I just let it be. Second, the wedding coordinator, who was nice, seemed new to wedding planning. I figured she would have given me some guidance as to when I came out in regards to our song. The song started playing, and I was told by the photographer to start walking. Unfortunately, our song literally played for only 5 seconds, which in hindsight, makes me sad. And looking back, like I said, I would have made my groom and the others wait on me so I could have fixed my hair and makeup. If I would have taken those few extra minutes to myself, I wouldn't have forgotten to put my wedding belt on, which oh my goodness...makes me sad. Looking back, I wouldn't have allowed myself to feel rushed. When I feel rushed, I naturally forget things, so that coupled with of course feeling nervous about my hair/makeup and getting married, I simply forgot:( One thing I can say is that if I would have spoken up and asked for a few minutes alone, I know everyone involved would have been accommodating, so thats my fault. Other than those few things, we kept our ceremony simple, so not a lot of room for mistakes.

My husband wasn't thrilled with the wedding coordinator. He thought she should have been "more involved" but like I said, I think she was new to this position. We did check out Club Rio that we both enjoyed, did zip lining, the ATV adventure, bird watching, and horseback riding through the resort. All were a lot of fun!

In conclusion, we honestly loved this resort and are already making plans for our next trip.

Room Tip: From what we heard from other guests, all the rooms are wonderful. They all have a beautiful view o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Kingman, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

To the people who gave negative reviews....can I go on vacation with you sometime? Because if you can criticize this place, you must have stayed in some unbelievable places.

BOTTOM LINE: I have traveled all over the world and stayed in everything from hostiles to 5-star accommodations. This place was off-the-charts amazing! We celebrated 20 years of marriage at the Springs, and are so glad we did. The property is so huge, we felt like we were the only ones on the premises. Nothing short of incredible, from start to finish.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie M, Manager at The Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Dean C,

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you for choosing to celebrate your 20th anniversary with us, and on behalf of all of our staff - Congratulations! Our property has 20+ hot spring pools in hopes that each of our guests will find privacy throughout the resort.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Melanie Marsell
Guest Relations
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My family spent 5 days at this unique resort. The staff and rooms were amazing, with great views of the Arenal Volcano. The food was very good as was our dining experiences. Lots of adventure in this spectacular setting. The grounds are beautiful and we loved the time we spent at Club Rios, tubing down the river, and visiting the wildlife preserve. I would highly recommend The Springs Resort along with a stay at their other property, The Peace Lodge as well. We loved our stays at both resorts.

Room Tip: We were a family of 5 and stayed in a two bedroom suite, however, with 42 rooms and villas they are...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
John P, Manager at The Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Springs, we are happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We are happy that you enjoyed your room accommodations – food experience and all the activities on-site at Club Rio.

We cannot wait to have you back as our guests!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The resort is nothing short of spectacular. The grounds are impeccably groomed and the staff is friendly and always willing to go the extra mile to make sure your stay is nothing that can be compared too. We ate at the property for all of our meals and were extremely surprised at how fresh every meal tasted due to the fact we were in the middle of the jungle. Our meals were better than most restaurants in the US. Between the baked good and buffet breakfast in the morning to afternoon snacks leading to the dinners in the Cascades restaurant, we were always amazed the our meal was better than the next. There is no reason to eat anywhere else. We utilized the concierge, Johnny, by doing many activities that were more exciting then the next, repelling, zip lining and extreme ATV's only to come back to The Springs to soak in the many hot springs throughout the property. Our ground transportation was arranged by The Springs as well and it was flawless. Friendly, punctual and once again accommodating to our needs. The vacation was all I could ask for and more. The hotel and its architecture are not of this world and its staff were extremely professional, friendly and attentive nestled in this lush foliage of Costa Rican countryside.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Townhouse suites if you are going with a group of people, this is the way to do it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for writing this extensive review of your recent stay at The Springs. We appreciate all of your feedback.

All of our food is made fresh, our bagels, pastries, and our even ice cream! We are glad you enjoyed your experience at our restaurants.

On behalf of the entire staff of The Springs resort & Spa, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We visited this hotel on two separate days whilst on our wedding trip in La Fortuna in April 2014. The first visit was so that we could take part in the Club Rio Multi Adventure Package which was so much fun!! We, along with 13 of our wedding guests, participated in horseback riding and river tubing and all of us had a blast! We then enjoyed the hot springs as well as the water slide....so much fun even for us adults who act like children!

Our second visit to the hotel was to enjoy the spa facilities which were amazing! One of the best massages that I have ever had. :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

We are glad you and your group enjoyed the activities and facilities at The Springs Resort & Spa. Feedback is so important and we certainly are thankful you took the time to share it with us. Until the next time in paradise

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

It's hard to list all the reasons why, for both my husband and myself, our stay at the Springs Resort and Spa will rank as one of the top stays we've ever experienced. But let me try:
- The natural setting of the Springs, near the Arenal Volcano, is spectacular. The owners have thoughtfully placed the main lodge and the guest rooms so that there's always a view of the volcano and the lush countryside. The resort offers more choices of activities than you'd ever use, but it's fine to just enjoy one of what must be nearly 20 pools filled with volcanic hot spring water.
- The Lodge itself is spectacular - 5-star luxury, for sure, but delivered in such a way that the experience feels part of the natural setting. The lodge is a fine example of architecture that just fits in with the landscape. The central lodge has 5 levels, and with only about 45 guest rooms, we never felt short of space. . .our dinners, our times at the various hot springs pools, could be as private as we wished. I can't think of one detail missing in the services of the hotel. We didn't experience the spa - but I walked through - it was beautiful and again, highlighted the natural beauty of the surroundings.
-The staff - now here's what probably is the icing on the cake - everyone on the staff was friendly; they honestly seemed to like their jobs. They seemed so pleased to hear us say we were having a great time, and they consistently asked if there was anything else that could be done to enhance our stay. Spanish may be the first language - but I speak no Spanish and never had any trouble being understood.
-The food - here's the BIG surprise. We knew this was a luxury resort - but we enjoyed two meals that were better than any we've had in most cities in the US. The 2 dinners we had at the restaurant, Las Ventanas, were stellar. We tried - an imaginative grilled romaine salad, fish entrees with superb flavors, as well as chicken and pasta entrees that were just OFF the charts. Each evening a different amuse bouche was served. . .as well as homemade passionfruit sorbet as a palate cleanser. All our other meals were excellent as well; the buffet breakfast has just all the choices you'd ever want - and all good. We continued to marvel at the tastes of food so very fresh - gazpacho, for example, was so memorable.
-The room - wow. We opened our drapes to a large balcony and view of the volcano. The balcony, or porch, had a table and chairs, two comfortable rocking chairs and a hammock; and it was private. The room was large; the bed excellent; the bathroom was so large and usable, with an enormous jacuzzi set in beautiful stone & woodwork. Thruout the room, the details in the wall coverings, the moldings, the doors, the rattan detail, the high ceilings - all worked to convey a sense of understated luxury in keeping with the setting.
-We flew in and out of SanJose airport - an excellent, well-run airport. And since the Springs is a distance from the airport, I used the hotel concierge to arrange all our ground transportation. All the requests I made of the concierge were answered so promptly -all the ground transportation worked perfectly.

Room Tip: We had a room that was close to the main lodge - that's a good idea. But all would be good. It...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
John P, Manager at The Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for this extensive review of your recent stay.

Feedback is very important and we appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us, we are glad to know that you had the opportunity to travel to Costa Rica and visited The Springs as your resort option in Arenal.

At The Springs, our staff is very important to us. If you received exemplary service from any members of the staff, please let us know their names so we may recognize their efforts.

We are sorry to hear you did not experience our Sanctuary Spa, we are looking forward to having you back as our guests and certainly encourage you to try our relaxing and replenishing packages at the spa. Please contact us directly the next time your travels bring you to the Arenal area.

Thank you again.

Sincerely

Ann arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Honestly enjoyed my stay at the springs more than I could have imagined. We went for a day using the day pass, and it was one of the most relaxing days of my entire life. However, the springs can only do so much and what really made my day stand out was the exemplary service of a bartender named Donald. He helped my friend find his credit card, sunglasses, and hat, and he stayed open as late as we wanted which was honestly more than I could have asked for. I will be returning for Donald only.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jaimie A, Guest Relations Manager at The Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Jbazalia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Donald at Los Perdidos Bar. This is a separate area of mineral spring pools and waterfalls set apart from our Laguna pools. Isolated by a canopy of trees, these pools range in temperature from 91 degrees to 104 degrees. When I informed Donald about how impressed you were his friendliness and commitment to service, he replied with, "Muchas Gracias" and "Pura Vida"!

Safe travels,

Jaimie A.
Guest Services

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!