“Pura Vida !!! paradise , utopia and a unbelievable staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Boca Raton, Florida
“Pura Vida !!! paradise , utopia and a unbelievable staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

From the moment my wife and I had arrived, we were treated like VIPs. From Alan our concierge to Fabian at check-in , this resort owner has an incredible staff. We enjoyed Club Rio which is an full activity park within the resort. We had an extreme 4x4 off road ATV Tour , white water kayaking and fishing all in our resort . These photos are so accurate. The food at the resort was very reasonably priced but even better was how the food were prepared and how they tasted. The wait staff ,Danny and Jose at the 2 out of the 5 resort restaurants ,made service seem easy.We did not want our 5 day stay to end but we moved on to another region and resort owned by the same owner .
Big thumbs up to the whole resort and owner of The Springs.
Charles and Jennifer A. From Boca Raton, Fl.

• Stayed October 2013

1,278 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the RIU Palace for a week and took a full day tour from the resort to the Arenal Volcano and the hot springs. We did the volcano and hiking during the day and got to this resort in late afternoon. This place was amazing! The actual hotel was beautiful and had many levels including a large pool with a swim-up bar and Tiki lounge. Throughout the property are different sized pools, some are the size of a hot tub and some are much bigger. Each is a different hot spring with a sign telling you how hot the water is. So you can literally walk through the property and try different springs to your liking. Some are in within the trees and have waterfalls and most have excellent views of Arenal Volcano in the background. This is a lovely resort and was also the location for filming The Bachelor, an American reality TV show. We would have thought about staying a few nights but had already reserved rooms for the week. Definitely worth a day pass if you aren’t booking there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you don't consider this place, you are missing out. Wonderful place with great restaurants, spas, pool bar, and hot springs. The room was great, the hotel staff was extremely friendly. There is not enough words to explain this place which should be called Paradise!!! I am definitely planning on coming back for our anniversary.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Morgan Hill, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have traveled too many countries and I will say this Resort has been the best stay anywhere I have ever had. My children and I loved our stay and plan to return on our next visit to Costa Rica. We left on 10-14-13 to go to Guanacaste to be on the Coast and my kids keep asking if we can go back to stay at the Springs. The staff is exceptional, the rooms were very comfortable and very very nice. The food was great. We had the most awesome view of the Volcano from our Terrace. That view alone was worth every penny we spent at the resort. The hot springs were awesome and I have never felt so relaxed as I did in the few days we were there. If I could cancel my stay where we are currently staying I would return to The Springs resort to finish out our Costa Rican Vacation..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Harker Heights, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My best friend took me on this ATV Adventure tour with Andre' for my 50th birthday! It was absolutely amazing. I don't know if I have ever had so much fun. He took us on a beautiful tour of the rain forest, cities, farm land and more! The sights were amazing and my face hurts from smiling and laughing for two hours straight! It was so much fun, we have already signed up to go again before we leave. I had never been on an ATV before - but it was on my bucket list - so we gave it a try! What a blast! Andre' was a wonderful instructor and made sure we were comfortable before taking us through some amazing terrain, to include mountains, mud, water and pastures. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hypoluxo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Springs Resort & Spa is a wonderful place to wind down, relax and enjoy the hotel and the landscape. The mineral springs (18 of them) are marvelous. The pools terrific. The room we had with a hot tub on the balcony along with 2 hammocks and an unbelievable view of the arenal volcano was amazing.
The staff went out of their way to insure our stay was as perfect as possible. Everyone knew us by name....even people we had not yet met. They were truly like family by the time the 4 days had past.
The restaurants were excellent from Las Ventanas to the Sushi restaurant.
I plan on returning often.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Four of us spent three days celebrating a 40th birthday. Two of us are from Costa Rica and had been to the Arenal area multiple times, two others came from the US and were visiting Costa Rica for the first time. None of us had never stayed at The Springs.

The hotel has excellent rooms, pools, bars, restaurants, and a breakfast area with a great view. I would liken it to a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons, except it is isolated in a mountain-side in the middle of Costa Rica. If you would like to experience the Costa Rican countryside without having to experience rough accommodations, this is a good place for you.

The hotel can be your launch point. There will be plenty of opportunities to go water rafting, engage in all-terrain vehicle adventures, or even fish in the La Fortuna-Arenal area. The hotel has a pre-screened list of providers or you can select from any you might find on your own. Most providers will happily pick you up at the hotel since it is known for having high-income guests that will pay top dollar.

Given the high-end experience I think it appropriate to warn you about one incongruent item to the whole "top-of-the-line" experience. The hotel is probably the most isolated of all the hotels in the La Fortuna area. This is mainly so because after veering off the main road there is still a ~3km ride to the hotel through a half-finished, rough, pot-holed road. This is only the hotel's fault in the sense that they selected such an isolated area to place their hotel and have not been able to convince the local government to upgrade the road out to them. Still, it hardly seems fair to have you travel to Costa Rica and not experience some rough roads. After all, you are supposed to be nature-loving people, looking to "rough it" when you come to visit the country.

Finally, although we did not have our children with us, I can see how the resort's animal rehabilitation center, rock climbing wall, horseback riding, water-sporting area, and many pools of thermal waters would be entertaining for kids. They also have a game room area where kids will find a Nintendo Wii, a ping-pong table, many board games, and some regularly scheduled activities. There was also a golf simulator for adults, but it did not seem to work properly when we were there so don't count on it being anything more than a short-term patch for a golf addict in your party.

To summarize, this is a top-level hotel with good service and decent meals. Although I would not normally consider it to be an all-inclusive destination, I also live in Costa Rica and can drive myself around. For most foreigners the isolated nature of this hotel will mean they should probably consider it more as a destination than simply a place to rest your head at night.

Room Tip: Given their two-story high ceilings the Alta Vista rooms have a wonderful view of Arenal volcano.