“Upper-scale mountain-side resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Upper-scale mountain-side resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Four of us spent three days celebrating a 40th birthday. Two of us are from Costa Rica and had been to the Arenal area multiple times, two others came from the US and were visiting Costa Rica for the first time. None of us had never stayed at The Springs.

The hotel has excellent rooms, pools, bars, restaurants, and a breakfast area with a great view. I would liken it to a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons, except it is isolated in a mountain-side in the middle of Costa Rica. If you would like to experience the Costa Rican countryside without having to experience rough accommodations, this is a good place for you.

The hotel can be your launch point. There will be plenty of opportunities to go water rafting, engage in all-terrain vehicle adventures, or even fish in the La Fortuna-Arenal area. The hotel has a pre-screened list of providers or you can select from any you might find on your own. Most providers will happily pick you up at the hotel since it is known for having high-income guests that will pay top dollar.

Given the high-end experience I think it appropriate to warn you about one incongruent item to the whole "top-of-the-line" experience. The hotel is probably the most isolated of all the hotels in the La Fortuna area. This is mainly so because after veering off the main road there is still a ~3km ride to the hotel through a half-finished, rough, pot-holed road. This is only the hotel's fault in the sense that they selected such an isolated area to place their hotel and have not been able to convince the local government to upgrade the road out to them. Still, it hardly seems fair to have you travel to Costa Rica and not experience some rough roads. After all, you are supposed to be nature-loving people, looking to "rough it" when you come to visit the country.

Finally, although we did not have our children with us, I can see how the resort's animal rehabilitation center, rock climbing wall, horseback riding, water-sporting area, and many pools of thermal waters would be entertaining for kids. They also have a game room area where kids will find a Nintendo Wii, a ping-pong table, many board games, and some regularly scheduled activities. There was also a golf simulator for adults, but it did not seem to work properly when we were there so don't count on it being anything more than a short-term patch for a golf addict in your party.

To summarize, this is a top-level hotel with good service and decent meals. Although I would not normally consider it to be an all-inclusive destination, I also live in Costa Rica and can drive myself around. For most foreigners the isolated nature of this hotel will mean they should probably consider it more as a destination than simply a place to rest your head at night.

Room Tip: Given their two-story high ceilings the Alta Vista rooms have a wonderful view of Arenal volcano.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The resort is beautiful! If you are looking for a honeymoon location, this is for you. All of the springs are clean and there are a ton of them to discover. My husband and I loved Club Rio just for the views of the river. The hot springs down by the river were fun to explore. The views of the volcano were outstanding! We loved it, although we felt that spending 4 nights here was plenty. A week might be too long.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Guntersville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I traveled with another couple during the low season, September. We worried about bad weather, but we were pleasantly surprised by passing afternoon showers, allowing for morning activities, superb afternoon spa treatments, and then fabulous evening dining. The fact that it was low season, we were practically the only ones there, taking advantage of the personal attention by the staff and owner, never waiting for anything. The staff knows you by name almost immediately. Our every need was attended to, even streaming the Alabama vs Texas A&M football game on their projection screen in the Game Room. Roll Tide! The view of Arenal Volcano was spectacular, and the location convenient for local sight seeing. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor Deluxe Rooms with an unobstructed view of Arenal, toucan sightings each mo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

In September my family (8 adults) traveled to Costa Rica for a 10 day vacation. Our first stop was The Springs Resort. We recieved a wonderful welcome from the staff and after an initial issue with our reservation (1 of the rooms had A/C problems) we were upgraded to a suite that include our own small pool and a personal golf cart to travel around the property. We stayed 3 nights and never had a need to leave the grounds. The restaurant, bars, rooms, and the "Club Rio" activity area on the river kept us totally engaged. The views of the volcano from every room and the main building were AMAZING!!!! The mineral springs, swim up bar in the main pool, and the pool with the water slide provided us with hours of entertainment and quality time together. We all agreed we would go back there in a Costa Rica minute.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My family has travelled extensively through Europe and to Hawaii frequently and we have never had such a great experience as we had at the Springs. The setting is gorgeous, the facilities increadibly well designed and maintained- everything from the room to the (many) pools and hot springs both at the hotel and down by the river in Club Rio to the restaurants and bars. But what really sets this place apart is the staff - each of whom to a person - seems to embody the spirit of Pura Vida. We felt immediately at home and welcome upon arrival. The head waiter noticed that my son found a coconut on our first day and immediately opened up, put an umbrella and cherry on it to my son's delight! Every day after he had one waiting for him. The twilight hike with Palacios' colorful stories was such a memorable experience. I could go on with individuals who went out of their way to make sure our vacation was perfect.
As for Club Rio, we had such a blast! We went on the best horseback trip EVER ( and we have taken manynridesmin Colorado and a Wyoming that don't compare) -- and again itmwasmthe wonderful guides- who were knowlegeable and attentive -- that helped make it such a positive experience -- thanks Oscar and Nano and crew!!! Kayaking was equally fun- I had never done this on anything but calm water - and was a bit nervous taking my 10 and 11 yr old - but again the guides were fantastic, very capable and very safety-minded and made it a memory for a lifetime.
Everyone talks about Pura Vida, but I feel that I truly experienced it due to the lovely staff at the Springs! Thanks to you all!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Heber City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My mother surprised the whole family with the most memorable trip of my life - and if I didn't have all my children back at home, I would have been one of those people who never got on the plane to return home. My parents and all of my siblings and our spouses/significant others all got to spend a few days in Costa Rica to celebrate my stepdad's 50th birthday. It was the best time of my life.

We stayed at the Springs, and I just couldn't have imagined there being any place better than this. I would say that the number one contributing factor was the staff. From the time we were booking things and the staff was so helpful to the time we were there, I was just in awe at their attentiveness and genuine friendliness. I dealt with Luis, Fabian, John, Alex, and a few others at the front desk. They were all the most genuinely kind and pleasant people I have ever encountered at a hotel. The head waiter, Dennis, was amazing, to say the least. He was there to accomodate ANY needs that we had AT ALL. The spa also hosts an amazing staff. And the housekeeping staff is extremely friendly as well! They all carry themselves with the utmost level of professionalism.

The hotel itself was beyond anything I ever knew existed in this world. The springs are just simply amazing. The slide at Perdido Springs...ahhhhhh...memories that I will NEVER forget. The rooms - WOW - THE ROOMS!!!! The rooms are the most beautiful rooms ever. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your room to one that has the private jet out on your balcony. It's so relaxing and romantic. The view from the rooms is unbelievable. We got the most clear view of the Arenal volcano every day. I loved that every night, we came in to an adorable animal created from towels on our bed, our covers turned down, and a sweet little chocolate on each side.

The experience in the spa was the most relaxing experience I've ever had. They are so quiet, they play the most gentle music, and when they open the windows for you to hear the rain and birds...it feels like what I imagine heaven to be like.

I only have one teeeeeeeeeeny tiny desire for my next trip there...the food was good. I enjoyed eating it. However, the portions are very small. And when you are paying what you are paying, it would just be nice to get a bit more food on your plate. We were extremely active while we were there, and we certainly worked up our appetites. When reviewing their website and planning our meals, we planned to go to Tres Cascadas as it was a buffet. Knowing we had a large group (10) and we were going to be a hungry bunch, we decided to go there after reading this: "Our gourmet buffet restaurant would be appropriately described as a “Tasting” experience. Here you will sample to your heart’s content a complete salad bar with our signature dressings, hot and cold soups of the day, assorted fresh baked breads, and a selection of hot entrée items of which a few will be specially prepared for you right at the buffet. The menu changes daily and may tend toward Italian one day to Asian the next. Our dessert bar offers small bite size portions to minimize your guilt while sampling them all and, of course, maybe returning for an extra piece of your favorite. Fresh fruit juices, tea and coffee are included. Even though it is a buffet you will have a waiter attending to your every need. We like to refer to it as a “Full Service Gourmet Buffet” It was only a buffet for breakfast one day that we were there. It was not a buffet at all for dinner. It was a la carte, and again, small portions. However, it was not enough of a problem for me to not already be planning my next trip there!! Just a desire for the next visit there :)

The one night that we had a private dinner at El Ranchito was just impeccable. Dennis and his wait staff went so far above and beyond to ensure that my stepdad's 50th birthday was perfection...and they sure did accomplish it. For the very minimal charge to rent out that private pavillion, I highly recommend it.

The bellboys were AWESOME! They were sooooo friendly and helpful.

I JUST LOVED THIS PLACE!!!! I have had the great fortune to visit Germany, Austria, Italy, Jamaica, Aruba, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Canada, and 45/50 United States. This is the best place I have ever been, and I am seriously already planning my next trip there.

Thank you to everyone at the Springs for contributing to the most memorable trip of my lifetime!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms were amazing and had an amazing view...but I do highly recommend the ones with the private...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but bought the Club Rio activity pass. The pass allowed us to use the hotel facilities for 2 days, enjoy two of the activities offered at the Club Rio (Horseback ride and kayaking), and the cat tour. Overall the pass was a good value as it also included one lunch at the Club Rio restaurant. The resort and its grounds are beautiful. The pools were very well designed, inviting and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpfulf but at times it felt as though the resort was a bit short staffed. At times we had to wait for the bartender to serve multiple other guests before he could take care of us. A similar situation happened at the Club Rio where we had to wait for the cat tour guide to arrive as he did not show up at the scheduled time of the tour. There was only one server working at the Club Rio restaurant and he had a difficult time keeping up with the amount of guests he got. Again, everyone we came in contact was very hospitable and would like to specifically acknowledge Oscar (horseback ride guide) who made sure my wife felt comfortable. He even stopped to find us a poison dart frog and took the time to take pictures of us. We also want to thank the two kayak instructors. They also made every accommodation possible to make sure that my wife would feel comfortable doing this activity. One other downside of this hotel is the condition of the 2 miles from the main road to the resort. This road is in poor condition. Overall, I would recommend visiting the facilities and based on the common areas of the resort, I would even consider staying there if I were to come back to la Fortuna with my family.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!