“Dream Trip Come True” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Guntersville, Alabama
“Dream Trip Come True”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I traveled with another couple during the low season, September. We worried about bad weather, but we were pleasantly surprised by passing afternoon showers, allowing for morning activities, superb afternoon spa treatments, and then fabulous evening dining. The fact that it was low season, we were practically the only ones there, taking advantage of the personal attention by the staff and owner, never waiting for anything. The staff knows you by name almost immediately. Our every need was attended to, even streaming the Alabama vs Texas A&M football game on their projection screen in the Game Room. Roll Tide! The view of Arenal Volcano was spectacular, and the location convenient for local sight seeing. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor Deluxe Rooms with an unobstructed view of Arenal, toucan sightings each mo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

In September my family (8 adults) traveled to Costa Rica for a 10 day vacation. Our first stop was The Springs Resort. We recieved a wonderful welcome from the staff and after an initial issue with our reservation (1 of the rooms had A/C problems) we were upgraded to a suite that include our own small pool and a personal golf cart to travel around the property. We stayed 3 nights and never had a need to leave the grounds. The restaurant, bars, rooms, and the "Club Rio" activity area on the river kept us totally engaged. The views of the volcano from every room and the main building were AMAZING!!!! The mineral springs, swim up bar in the main pool, and the pool with the water slide provided us with hours of entertainment and quality time together. We all agreed we would go back there in a Costa Rica minute.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My family has travelled extensively through Europe and to Hawaii frequently and we have never had such a great experience as we had at the Springs. The setting is gorgeous, the facilities increadibly well designed and maintained- everything from the room to the (many) pools and hot springs both at the hotel and down by the river in Club Rio to the restaurants and bars. But what really sets this place apart is the staff - each of whom to a person - seems to embody the spirit of Pura Vida. We felt immediately at home and welcome upon arrival. The head waiter noticed that my son found a coconut on our first day and immediately opened up, put an umbrella and cherry on it to my son's delight! Every day after he had one waiting for him. The twilight hike with Palacios' colorful stories was such a memorable experience. I could go on with individuals who went out of their way to make sure our vacation was perfect.
As for Club Rio, we had such a blast! We went on the best horseback trip EVER ( and we have taken manynridesmin Colorado and a Wyoming that don't compare) -- and again itmwasmthe wonderful guides- who were knowlegeable and attentive -- that helped make it such a positive experience -- thanks Oscar and Nano and crew!!! Kayaking was equally fun- I had never done this on anything but calm water - and was a bit nervous taking my 10 and 11 yr old - but again the guides were fantastic, very capable and very safety-minded and made it a memory for a lifetime.
Everyone talks about Pura Vida, but I feel that I truly experienced it due to the lovely staff at the Springs! Thanks to you all!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Heber City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My mother surprised the whole family with the most memorable trip of my life - and if I didn't have all my children back at home, I would have been one of those people who never got on the plane to return home. My parents and all of my siblings and our spouses/significant others all got to spend a few days in Costa Rica to celebrate my stepdad's 50th birthday. It was the best time of my life.

We stayed at the Springs, and I just couldn't have imagined there being any place better than this. I would say that the number one contributing factor was the staff. From the time we were booking things and the staff was so helpful to the time we were there, I was just in awe at their attentiveness and genuine friendliness. I dealt with Luis, Fabian, John, Alex, and a few others at the front desk. They were all the most genuinely kind and pleasant people I have ever encountered at a hotel. The head waiter, Dennis, was amazing, to say the least. He was there to accomodate ANY needs that we had AT ALL. The spa also hosts an amazing staff. And the housekeeping staff is extremely friendly as well! They all carry themselves with the utmost level of professionalism.

The hotel itself was beyond anything I ever knew existed in this world. The springs are just simply amazing. The slide at Perdido Springs...ahhhhhh...memories that I will NEVER forget. The rooms - WOW - THE ROOMS!!!! The rooms are the most beautiful rooms ever. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your room to one that has the private jet out on your balcony. It's so relaxing and romantic. The view from the rooms is unbelievable. We got the most clear view of the Arenal volcano every day. I loved that every night, we came in to an adorable animal created from towels on our bed, our covers turned down, and a sweet little chocolate on each side.

The experience in the spa was the most relaxing experience I've ever had. They are so quiet, they play the most gentle music, and when they open the windows for you to hear the rain and birds...it feels like what I imagine heaven to be like.

I only have one teeeeeeeeeeny tiny desire for my next trip there...the food was good. I enjoyed eating it. However, the portions are very small. And when you are paying what you are paying, it would just be nice to get a bit more food on your plate. We were extremely active while we were there, and we certainly worked up our appetites. When reviewing their website and planning our meals, we planned to go to Tres Cascadas as it was a buffet. Knowing we had a large group (10) and we were going to be a hungry bunch, we decided to go there after reading this: "Our gourmet buffet restaurant would be appropriately described as a “Tasting” experience. Here you will sample to your heart’s content a complete salad bar with our signature dressings, hot and cold soups of the day, assorted fresh baked breads, and a selection of hot entrée items of which a few will be specially prepared for you right at the buffet. The menu changes daily and may tend toward Italian one day to Asian the next. Our dessert bar offers small bite size portions to minimize your guilt while sampling them all and, of course, maybe returning for an extra piece of your favorite. Fresh fruit juices, tea and coffee are included. Even though it is a buffet you will have a waiter attending to your every need. We like to refer to it as a “Full Service Gourmet Buffet” It was only a buffet for breakfast one day that we were there. It was not a buffet at all for dinner. It was a la carte, and again, small portions. However, it was not enough of a problem for me to not already be planning my next trip there!! Just a desire for the next visit there :)

The one night that we had a private dinner at El Ranchito was just impeccable. Dennis and his wait staff went so far above and beyond to ensure that my stepdad's 50th birthday was perfection...and they sure did accomplish it. For the very minimal charge to rent out that private pavillion, I highly recommend it.

The bellboys were AWESOME! They were sooooo friendly and helpful.

I JUST LOVED THIS PLACE!!!! I have had the great fortune to visit Germany, Austria, Italy, Jamaica, Aruba, Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Canada, and 45/50 United States. This is the best place I have ever been, and I am seriously already planning my next trip there.

Thank you to everyone at the Springs for contributing to the most memorable trip of my lifetime!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms were amazing and had an amazing view...but I do highly recommend the ones with the private...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Woodstock, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but bought the Club Rio activity pass. The pass allowed us to use the hotel facilities for 2 days, enjoy two of the activities offered at the Club Rio (Horseback ride and kayaking), and the cat tour. Overall the pass was a good value as it also included one lunch at the Club Rio restaurant. The resort and its grounds are beautiful. The pools were very well designed, inviting and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpfulf but at times it felt as though the resort was a bit short staffed. At times we had to wait for the bartender to serve multiple other guests before he could take care of us. A similar situation happened at the Club Rio where we had to wait for the cat tour guide to arrive as he did not show up at the scheduled time of the tour. There was only one server working at the Club Rio restaurant and he had a difficult time keeping up with the amount of guests he got. Again, everyone we came in contact was very hospitable and would like to specifically acknowledge Oscar (horseback ride guide) who made sure my wife felt comfortable. He even stopped to find us a poison dart frog and took the time to take pictures of us. We also want to thank the two kayak instructors. They also made every accommodation possible to make sure that my wife would feel comfortable doing this activity. One other downside of this hotel is the condition of the 2 miles from the main road to the resort. This road is in poor condition. Overall, I would recommend visiting the facilities and based on the common areas of the resort, I would even consider staying there if I were to come back to la Fortuna with my family.

• Stayed September 2013
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I have traveled to the Caribbean, Canada and to Europe -- and we must say that this is one of the most INCREDIBLE resorts we have ever stayed at -- and most of that goes to the friendliest and caring staff we have ever met.

Our four children and their partners surprised my husband (their dad) for his 50th birthday. And their jaws dropped when they walked into their rooms -- I think they thought it was their birthdays. You looked out your window and balcony to see the Arenal Volcano and the top of it in the clouds. It was magical. The abundant lush tropical vegetation and the wildlife -- the birds, the singing frogs, the swooping bats that come out at night -- I could go on and on.

The rooms were BEAUTIFUL and immaculate, the pools and springs are well -- indescribable (the slide at Perdido Springs was a blast -- especially at 10 o'clock at night -- we were like in our own little water park) -- the resort was AWESOME and as another guest put it -- all of us were treated like royalty. I had a private dinner planned at the El Ranchito Pavillion for an additional very minimal charge (ssoooo worth it) and when I saw how it was decorated I was blown away - I wanted to cry -- their attention to detail and to your requests is well -- it left me speechless -- the table, the flowers, the candles, the cake, the music softly piped in, and the service for our private party of 10 -- the ambiance was first class.

The girls went to the spa for a massage and the massage together with the gentle rain (we are in a rain forest after all) just made you feel like one with nature. You will never want to leave.

At breakfast one morning, one of the servers took the time to point out wildlife and trees and show us with binoculars -- really??? Never had that happen before -- smiling the whole time.

Although it is quite a drive from the airport (approximately 2 1/2 hours) - -the scenery and the small villages you encounter make the time pass by quickly. The 3.5 kilometer trip from the main road to the Resort is what they call "a Costa Rican massage" -- and they are not kidding. But the little bit of a bumpy ride is quickly forgotten the minute you arrive to the open airy reception area and are handed a tropical cocktail to get your vacation started while looking at the views that take your breath away. The huge smiles on all of our children's faces -- I knew I had made the right choice.

We all wish we could have had a few more days at this resort to continue exploring, relaxing and playing -- although really most of us did not want to ever leave -- we all said this was a family trip of a lifetime.

This is truly a find and WE WILL DEFINITELY RETURN to pick up where we left off. PURA VIDA!!!!!!

To be continued .......

P.S. Thank you from the bottoms of our hearts to the staff and to the owner, Lee Banks, for his vision of what a resort should be -- can't wait to visit their sister resort as well -- The Peace Lodge

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very similar and have incredible views of the Arenal Volcano. However, the sec...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I could not feel any better about myself then I do right now; I just spent three nights at The Springs Resort and Spa, Arenal, Costa Rica. I took home with me a rejuvenated body, lifetime memories and a smile from ear to ear.
Close friends and I arrived at The Springs Resort Sunday evening. Energetic concierge warmly greeted us despite our late arrival. A short golf cart ride later, I entered a remarkable two-story villa and my jaw dropped. Every corner of the room was stunning and perfect, down to the very last detail. Diamond-shaped wooden patterns behind the bed nicely complimented the large castle-shaped custom doors. The bathrooms were immaculate, terraces were spacious and the bedding was to die for.
I awoke to a magical, breathtaking view of the Arenal Volcano. I hopped into a hammock to relax as I took in the enchanting surroundings. Colorful toucans danced among the tropical trees and the sound of waterfalls filled the air. My friends and I spent the day touring the facility. Our amazement grew as we turned each corner. We discovered most of the 26 unique hot springs. I enjoyed, at least 30 wild rides down the monkey slide. We sampled gourmet dishes throughout the day; and had a ball visiting Club Rio’s Wildlife Preserve. That evening I filled the Jacuzzi with steaming hot water and bubbles. I felt peaceful as I soaked in the warm water and my mind replayed my fascinating day.
The next day I ran around the resort with my camera trying to capture all of its charm and beauty. This exceptional piece of property allows all guests to find a private hot spring oasis for an intimate experience. I went to the pool bar to unwind. The tranquil atmosphere, warm water, and sound of waterfalls were very soothing. I greatly appreciated the super friendly staff and impeccable service. Later I dined with a couple of The Springs executives at Las Ventanas, the up-scale restaurant on site. Each dish was well-thought, flavorful, and elegantly presented. The bright personalities surrounding our table made for entertaining, unforgettable conversation. I was making lifetime memories I will talk about for years; I tried to absorb as much as I could as my stay was quickly coming to an end.
Even though I really didn’t want to, we checked out in the morning. My compelling experience has me boosting. I fell in love on this mini vacation, with The Springs Resort and Spa!

Room Tip: Every room is situated to give you a stunning view of the Arenal Volcano
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!