“Beautiful resort & area; food was a disappointment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Chicago, IL
“Beautiful resort & area; food was a disappointment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The beauty of Arenal and the Springs Resort and Spa is spectacular! The resort, the rooms, the service, the views, and the hot springs are all amazing! We really enjoyed our stay at the Springs while visiting this area in Costa Rica. There are many activity options right on the property as well. The one disappointment to us was the food - prices were on the high end, selection was fairly limited, and the meals were just OK. What makes this a real negative is that what they have there is what you get; other options are not easily accessible .... you'd have to go into La Fortuna which a distance away. Another con, particularly for some, might be all the stairs and up-hill inclines.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

1,293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We traveled to this resort with our two children (ages 5 and 8). The staff was incredibly friendly and treated our children like family. Although the photos may imply that this is a very large resort, it is not, and even if it is at capacity, you will not feel the presence of a crowd. If you want privacy you can find it. If you want to avoid kids, you certainly can. The hotel and rooms are beautiful and the grounds are amazing. The pools are everywhere and most are fed by volcanic hot springs. We spent much of our pool time at the two pools joined by the slide.
One great feature of this hotel is Club Rio, the 'campus' that is on the grounds of the resort, but a long walk, short shuttle ride away. We spent almost every day there with the kids riding horses through the jungle, rock climbing, kayaking and swimming. The staff at Club Rio was very professional and exceptionally accomodating. They are very attentive to detail and very conscious of safety.
This resort is the nicest in the area by far and is a great launching point for tours of the Arenal area. There is plenty to do. I suggest the ATV tour which leaves from the hotel. A great way to learn about the area and see the backroads and some of the wildlife. Also the twilight feedings with Jorge are awesome.
While we were at the resort, one of my children developed swimmers ear, not surprising given her constant immersion in various hotel pools for the prior 8 days. (We were at another hotel in Guanacaste previously and we were not aggressive about preventatively putting in drying drops). I called the hotel for a recommendation to a doctor. Within 1 hour, I was sitting in front of the area doctor getting the appropriate script. The staff at the hotel lined up a fluent bilingual taxi driver and assisted me with getting my daughter's passport number when I failed to bring her passport to the doctor. They could not have been more accomodating.
The staff at the hotel, especially Donald and Keilor were outstanding. All of the staff at Club Rio including Melanie and Tim were great. And we would adopt Nano and the horses from the horse barn if there were a way to do so.
I'm sure we will return to the Springs Resort in the future as we only scratched the surface of this great country.

Room Tip: Go for a room that is on the second floor and does not adjoin a stairwell. Less morining traffic noi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The space granted by tripadvisor is too small to do justice to the Springs. Set in the tropical rainforest of Costa Rica with views dominated by the cone of the Arenal volcano, this is far more than "where Disneyland meets Indiana Jones". Pricey by absolute standards, its facilities provide incredible value for money. While superlatives are hard to avoid, the friendly, service-oriented staff deserves special mention.

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I like all of the food here in this resort but my main course which it was stake leave me with temptation to go back also the cocktails and the drinks were amazing I was also please with the attention received

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel is amazing, the most important part is the food is awesome, delicious, fresh and the people are special, I love this hotel, is so romantic, everything is special, and the pools.are awesome, I love this place, excellent

• Stayed June 2013
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My friend, My husband and I were thrilled when we arrived in The springs Resort...greeted by a lovely staff member who showed us around, after first giving us a fruit libation. There are so many things to do...or you can just relax and enjoy the hot springs and also see a view of the Volcano from every room...outstanding architecture...fantastic service. Nothing left undone. Great for families !!! Go online and see the resort!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
El Mirage, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have never been to a place this amazing. It is honestly so private and beautiful, me and my family dont have one bad thing to say what so ever. The service is amazing anything and everything you could ever need and want they have it! The love for animals and people at this resort is absolutely unbelievable and heart touching. My family loves nature and animals very much and so did this place, me and my dad went out for a very nice horse ride with a wonderful guide named Nano and i have to say this was my absolute favorite part! He took just me and my dad since he knew we were more experienced than other riders he rode with us and told us about the hotels major love for animals which made us love the place even more i have to say he offically made our trip the best one ever. I would definataly go back to the Springs anyday and take another beautiful horse ride! All over the greatest life changing experience ever. Have nothing but good things to say, we loved it <3

Room Tip: The hole resort is very private and relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!