“My favorite place on Earth!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
“My favorite place on Earth!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was my third visit to The Springs, and I just can't get enough of it!!

What an amazing place this is... Everything from the spaceous rooms and lavish bathrooms, to the spectacular view from EVERY single room, the quality of the food and the friendly attitude of the whole staff... I can't see how this hotel could get any better!

And the resort is out of this world. You've got any kind of hotspring pool you could ever desire (you can go to the outdoor pools with a view, or "Perdido Springs" which make you feel completely immersed in the rainforest!), there's a full-on Zoo, a river with watersports and a restaurant, and just anything you could ever want to make your trip unforgettable.

I love La Fortuna, and I've been to 7 or 8 of the top hotels in the area, and trust me, none of them even comes CLOSE to what The Springs has to offer.

The owner, Lee Banks, is a charming, friendly, super smart guy and he definitely knows how to make guests feel like royalty in paradise! He injects this vision into every single detail and every single member of his staff. The result is the best travel experience I've found in the world.

La Fortuna, and specifically The Springs Resort, is quite simply my favorite place on Earth. And if it were up to me, I would LIVE in this place. It's THAT good. Just GO!!

Room Tip: ALL rooms have a perfect view of the Volcano. ALL of them. I don't know how they do it. Every si...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

When 2 nights turn into 5 just because the place you are at is unbelievable!!! yes, The Springs is what I'm talking about! One of a kind hotel with breathtaking views, amazing hot springs, a wonderful garden with wild cats, fun river tours, friendly staff, yummy food, gorgeous rooms and a great spa! Thank you Lee for creating such a fun, relaxing and luxurious piece of heaven in CR!
And thanks to all the staff for making our stay and our friends unforgettable!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Let me first start out by saying that I was a 'day tripper' and stayed at nearby Nayara this trip. We have enjoyed hot springs experiences before in Costa Rica, New Zealand, Iceland, multiple places in the US and Canada, etc. and had seen photos of this beautiful resort and considered staying here on a return trip so wanted to give it a look see. The initial view of the grounds is truly awe inspiring with sweeping vistas of rainforest and Arenal Volcano in the background. The main lodge is 5 stories high and also quite beautiful with multiple dining options.
We asked if we could try the fine dining option but were denied because of the dress code (really??? we had nice shorts and shoes and silk button downs and it was 100 degrees...in Costa Rica..) Meh, no big deal...
Still enjoying the beautiful setting, we stop at the spa to see about booking massages for both of us. No openings until 8 PM the resort is almost empty (on a Tuesday? really?) Meh, no big deal we will just enjoy the hot springs and club Rio for the day and then have dinner at the main dining room which usually features a lavish buffet of local and western dishes.
We get down to the hot springs and read about how there are 20 something separate pools of differing temperatures (from 96-103) from water that is pumped up from some nearby spring that has favorable mineral content and filtered and constantly turning over. We get in and it is lukewarm at best. So I tried to find the warmest pool and still lukewarm. I'm looking around at the pools and spot a 'chip' in the 'rock' and see that it is really fake rock made of some sort of fiberglass covered with some designer cement, so I look around and realize that most of the entire upper bath complex is made of fake rocks!!! Even though the water is lukewarm and we are floating around shallow fiberglass pools we still enjoy the lush tropical landscape and good bar service and decide to go down to Club Rio an area by the nearby river about a half mile downhill.
We had a very enjoyable tour of the Toucan reserve, the monkeys and Large cat areas. Our guide was excellent and seeing and interacting with the animals at that proximity was unique and memorable. We next went for a hike on the river's edge and found the hot springs located next to the river. More authentic but still very lukewarm. Club Rio was a great feature that offered tubing, rafting, horseback riding and many other adventure activities. It even had a bar and restaurant that we enjoyed during lunch.
We then went about halfway back up the resort to the central warm pools where we found the only truly 'hot spring' that was at the advertised 103 degrees, though again all fake rocks with more chips and wear than the upper pools. The bar was very nice and refreshing and we enjoyed cooling down there.
We returned to the main lodge for dinner to find out that the buffet was not available for dinner (because there were too few people staying at the hotel? was the explanation we were given) so we ordered off the menu and had a mediocre meal with mediocre service. You are in Costa Rica on 'tico time' but you are also at an alleged 5 star hotel servicing an upscale clientele. It wasn't horrible, but more' Olive Garden' standard than Ritz Carlton. This was the 'casual dining' option with emphasis on the casual for the service... The bread was not fresh or warm or soft. The salad was completely unremarkable and the entre also edible but not anything I felt compelled to finish or would ever choose to eat again. We did get a lovely wine from their extensive wine list, though so all was not lost.
We spoke to people staying at the resort who reported that their rooms were very nice and spacious and had a great view of the valley and volcano so they are certainly doing some things right. Will we stay here on our next trip to Costa Rica? Not likely, I think we caught them on a bad day service wise but I just didn't enjoy the springs nearly as much as Tabacon Hot Springs.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic resort and spa. Club arenal on the property has horseback riding which was great, tubing and a great animal rescue with sloths, monkeys, jungle cats and toucan which you can feed. The resort ground are spectacular with countless hot springs including a surprisingly fast slide, a game room for the kids if it rains and a full spa and fitness center. The service is five star with the only drawback being the food and food service which was good but not exceptional. If you are planning to stay in Arenal, and can get past a bit of sticker shock, this place will not disappoint you. I would also highly recommend their sister property, the Peace Lodge, which is a small but wonderful resort 45 min north of San Jose.

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Springs Resort was literally a dream I didn't even know I had. It was the most amazing place ever. The view.....well there are no words just insane, gorgeous, and I wish my backyard was that spectacular. The rooms were the best. I loved the bathrooms as well. The bed was a nice size also. I didn't even know there was such thing as a hot springs. I wasn't even old enough to drink and the swim up bar looked pretty cool. Loved the service!! They were amazing and so nice. The best was the folded towels that looked like animals! I loved that a lot. I will make sure I come back here even if it kills me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Head of the Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Springs Resort truly is a "Diamond in the ruff" upscale luxury resort. The minute you enter the property, you are captivated by the majesty of Arenal Volcano. You are immediately welcomed by an impressive staff who treat you like ROYALY! You can't help but fall in love with the warm, gracious staff who look to accommodate your every need (binoculars, bug spay, jokes on a rainy day). Richard's professionalism and hands on service is exceptional. He attended to every detail of our trip from beginning to end.

The resort is home to over 18 hot springs (83-103 degrees) scattered throughout the property. The gardens are filled with beautiful flowers and tropical plants of every kind. I noticed every where I turned the maintenance staff was busy keeping the resort emaculate. The Springs is so private, you feel as if you are the only one there. The large rooms are beautifully decorated with local teak wood, fine linens, and flat screen TV's. The bathroom is spacious boasting a rain shower with a deep soaking Jacuzzi. The grand finale is the view when you open the drapes-5000ft volcano!! As you step onto the patio, you can choose to sway in the hammock or take a siesta in the comfy chairs.

One of the most impressive parts of the resort is the animal care and rescue center. You really experience these birds and animals in their natural environment. The habitats are spotless and plenty big for each species. Roberto, Christian, and Victor truly have a passion for all the animals in their care at the Springs.
Club Rio will keep you coming back for more. The tubing is a blast and so is the staff who take you. We had so many laughs with the staff at Rio. Horseback riding is a magical experience on the hills overlooking the volcano. Rock climbing is tuff, but the staff cheers you on. Nicole did an outstanding job organizing all our activities. She even set up lunch reservations at the Rio restaurant.

The food here is the best in Costa Rica. Fresh dishes are prepared to your palate with a Costa Rican flare. They even have sushi!! Breakfast buffet, lunch at the swim up bar, and dinner under the stars; you'll never be disappointed.

Every detail has been well planned out in this dreamy five star resort. Mr. Banks, your BRILLANT and have a heart of GOLD. Thank you for making dreams come true!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Springs Reseort and their sister resort, La Paz are amazing places that made me feel like royalty the entire time. We were treated like family right from our arrival. Everything is so well done and with such friendliness and enthusiasm it feels like heaven.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!