“"I Never Wanna Leave"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
New York City, New York
“"I Never Wanna Leave"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Springs Resort was literally a dream I didn't even know I had. It was the most amazing place ever. The view.....well there are no words just insane, gorgeous, and I wish my backyard was that spectacular. The rooms were the best. I loved the bathrooms as well. The bed was a nice size also. I didn't even know there was such thing as a hot springs. I wasn't even old enough to drink and the swim up bar looked pretty cool. Loved the service!! They were amazing and so nice. The best was the folded towels that looked like animals! I loved that a lot. I will make sure I come back here even if it kills me.

1,294 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Head of the Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Springs Resort truly is a "Diamond in the ruff" upscale luxury resort. The minute you enter the property, you are captivated by the majesty of Arenal Volcano. You are immediately welcomed by an impressive staff who treat you like ROYALY! You can't help but fall in love with the warm, gracious staff who look to accommodate your every need (binoculars, bug spay, jokes on a rainy day). Richard's professionalism and hands on service is exceptional. He attended to every detail of our trip from beginning to end.

The resort is home to over 18 hot springs (83-103 degrees) scattered throughout the property. The gardens are filled with beautiful flowers and tropical plants of every kind. I noticed every where I turned the maintenance staff was busy keeping the resort emaculate. The Springs is so private, you feel as if you are the only one there. The large rooms are beautifully decorated with local teak wood, fine linens, and flat screen TV's. The bathroom is spacious boasting a rain shower with a deep soaking Jacuzzi. The grand finale is the view when you open the drapes-5000ft volcano!! As you step onto the patio, you can choose to sway in the hammock or take a siesta in the comfy chairs.

One of the most impressive parts of the resort is the animal care and rescue center. You really experience these birds and animals in their natural environment. The habitats are spotless and plenty big for each species. Roberto, Christian, and Victor truly have a passion for all the animals in their care at the Springs.
Club Rio will keep you coming back for more. The tubing is a blast and so is the staff who take you. We had so many laughs with the staff at Rio. Horseback riding is a magical experience on the hills overlooking the volcano. Rock climbing is tuff, but the staff cheers you on. Nicole did an outstanding job organizing all our activities. She even set up lunch reservations at the Rio restaurant.

The food here is the best in Costa Rica. Fresh dishes are prepared to your palate with a Costa Rican flare. They even have sushi!! Breakfast buffet, lunch at the swim up bar, and dinner under the stars; you'll never be disappointed.

Every detail has been well planned out in this dreamy five star resort. Mr. Banks, your BRILLANT and have a heart of GOLD. Thank you for making dreams come true!!

Lighthouse Point, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Springs Reseort and their sister resort, La Paz are amazing places that made me feel like royalty the entire time. We were treated like family right from our arrival. Everything is so well done and with such friendliness and enthusiasm it feels like heaven.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Centereach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My entire stay here was excellent. The beauty of it took my breath away as it seems to emerge from nowhere at the end of a dirt road. The staff were welcoming and always pleasant. We were shown to our rooms and even given a refreshing cocktail (perfect way to start the stay). The rooms are spacious - as big as they look in the photos - and equipped with balcony hammocks, a jacuzzi tub, a big dual head shower, even room service sushi! The beds are perfect...so comfortable. And the view is outstanding. Waking up everyday to a steaming volcano with vultures circling trees in the distance and hummingbirds hovering on our balcony just completely justified my choice in staying here. By far the best hotel breakfast I've had - buffet style with everything you could think of. There are several places to eat but the service at Tres Cascadas was exceptional. Props to Jose. Make sure to check out Club Rio. Moses and Jonathan really made the experience exhilarating. It was my first time rock climbing and they were both very helpful. White-water tubing was a blast. You tube down a river to a hot spring waterfall. They also have some awesome wildlife with huge toys in their enclosures. We watched a juvenile puma play with a dangling coconut and that really made the trip worth it for me. There's so many hot springs (28?) with water at different temperatures and the layout was designed well so that it's easy to find privacy. The sulfur might stain your bathing suit, just to warn you. The weather was pretty good even though it was the start of the rainy season. It rained almost everyday but only for a few hours. Other than that it was sunny. We got the couple's massage and it was perfect. At the end they open a huge window and leave you to listen to the sounds of the rainforest. Amazing.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

What an amazing resort! I could go on and on about this place but here are the highlights:

- 20+ separate hot spring pools (varying temperature) and a hot spring waterslide!
- Swim up bar
- Beautiful, spacious rooms with spectacular views of the rainforest and the nearby volcano
- Incredibly friendly and accommodative staff (thanks Richard)
- Great food and drinks, especially the breakfast buffet, what a great way to start your day!

I also got a massage at the spa (swedish 1 hour) and it was one of the best I've ever had, if you stay here I also recommend visiting the spa.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The hotel is phenomenal. Gorgeous views of the countryside, multiple pools and hot springs, friendly and attentive staff...The only negative; the food. We had a couple different things at two of the dining options. It was bar food quality at best; dry, bland, and forgettable is probably the best way to describe it. Otherwise, the place is top-notch. The rooms are some of the nicest we've ever stayed. We were only there 1-night, so we didn't get a chance to check out many of the amenities, but did a couple tours, which were great. The zipline tour is one of the highlights of our trip. Go early in the morning and you may be the only ones on the tour, like us...very fun!

Room Tip: Leave all your worries behind. This place is incredible for a getaway...if you can afford to. If y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is by far one of the greatest places I have ever been lucky enough to stay at. The resort lies secluded from any other town/city in the middle of the rainforest with a perfect view of the Arenal volcano. Not only is the location perfect, but the structure of the hotel is simple, yet open so it doesn't feel like you are in just any resort, but truly get a Costa Rican experience despite being at a hotel. The hot springs/pools are absolutely a unique experience and almost resemble a paradise which only adds to the general jaw-dropping, speechless feeling you have upon arriving.
There was not a single unfriendly staff member; from the hotel manager to the cleaning personal, to the bartenders: everybody was welcoming, friendly, helpful and kind. If there was a problem with anything, it would be figured out no matter what. The English language of all service members was great, which is important in terms of communication in another country of course. The manager Richard made everybody feel welcome along with the rest of the staff.
The rooms, gym, game room, restaurants, bars and spa were everything you expect from such a luxury hotel: perfection. The rooms we stayed in were extremely clean and new, the beds more comfortable than I ever expected. It was spacious, with a lovely balcony overlooking the volcano and insanely beautiful bathrooms. I slept better than I ever have and woke up to the sun rising behind the volcano. It cannot get more beautiful!!
Not only were the rooms amazing, the gym had everything you could need, just like the game room and bars were well provided for.
The restaurant was incredible: you will never have such an amazing breakfast with such an amazing view unless you visit this place. All I can say is that it feels like paradise. There is every food imaginable and it tastes even better than it looks (which is hard to believe). However, the menu for lunch and dinner is very limited and not as incredible as the breakfast buffet. Additionally, the music being played was terrible and distracting. There was a short power outage our last day and having a silent restaurant made all the difference. Music that is native to Costa Rica would definitely be much more preffered.
Unfortunately, the birdwatching tour was a bit of a disappointment. We had two different guides: day one was alright and our guide tried to find birds and knew every single thing about the ones we saw, but we saw very few. However our second guide didn't even try and every bird that we saw, we spotted on our own (and that was very few). The bird tour could definitely use a few improvements.
Although it was May (which means Costa Rican rainy season), our stay was still incredible and even though it would have been great to have sun, the weather did not ruin our experience in the least. There are enough activities for any type of weather, with any group of people.
In addition, the spa was inredible! The sauna and steam room were quite small, but it didn't matter because the resort is so large and spacious that it is never crowded and I ended up having the spa all to myself at 6pm. The Swedish Massage I booked was quite expensive but definitely worth it. After this amazing massage, the windows were opened to let in fresh air and you are left alone to gaze out into nature and see the volcano right in front of you. Everything at this resort is an amazing experience and when you think it can't get better, you are suprised once again.
Their activies are almost all located a little drive away from the resort. It's a new inclusion called Club Rio and although there are still improvements to be made, it is overall a perfect addition to the hotel.
This resort is perfect for honeymooners, couples and friends. If you actually like traveling alone or have a couple of days free during a business trip, then of course the resort is great too. Personally, I think it is not the greatest place for families in terms of children and activities for them. Club Rio may have great things, but they are few and will not keep you occupied for a long time. I wouldn't recommend this place for small children if you're planning on staying more than a week.
Overall, the location could not have been sought out any better, the service is incredibly friendly and helpful, the cleanliness exceeds any other kind of tropical hotel (I am impressed how anything can be this clean in the middle of a rainforest), the rooms, restaurant, gym, spa and pools could not get better and if I could afford it I would bring everybody I know here just to be able to share how breathtaking everything is.
Come back again? A hundred times yes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!