My wife and I came directly here from a disappointing Costa Rica hotel in a different location and had low expectations. We were beginning to think the entire country was just one big letdown. Thankfully, we were wrong.
After a bumpy ride up the dirt road to the property, we were greeted by pleasant smiling staff and a gorgeous property. The ambiance was romantic and intoxicating and the rooms full of comfortable amenities. All rooms had a terrific view of the Arenal volcano and filled with green vegetation just two quick steps outside.
As the name implies, the geothermal hot springs are the main attractions here. The water is heated up underground and pumped in each day and each pool has a different layout and temperature, with some a lot hotter than others. There's even a poolside bar that you don't even have to leave the water to go to. The best place to relax is the top pool at the Perdido Springs area, followed by a little hot tub like area just offset from the main Perdido pool. It was a great place to relax, have a drink, and chat up other young couples. There were kids around, but they were very well behaved, quiet, and barely noticeable.
Club Rio was a short trip from the main lobby and very much worth half a day of your time. The best things to do are the horseback riding and river tubing (be careful of the currents!). There are additional hot springs, but none as hot or relaxing as those at the Perdido area. The animal sanctuary was very inviting and intimate and our guide was wonderful. Make sure to go at the final tour of the day as the animals are being fed and quite active. The were also building a sloth sanctuary, so if you want to see the cute and furry creatures be sure to check this place out after Summer 2013.
The staff did not speak as much as English as other resorts, but thankfully my Spanish came in handy. They were still extremely friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and take care of our room. We even met the owner one night and he was a very energetic, engaging, personable, and pleasant man from the States. The grounds and rooms were well manicured and had tons of modern and classic amenities.
As for the restaurants we only ate at two for dinner. Ginger sushi had traditional sushi choices as well as new takes (the Fondue roll was insanely good), not to mention hot green tea and cold sake. Las Ventanas had very personable service and there were no problems in making changes due to dietary preferences. Tres Cascadas we only ate at for breakfast and lunch, but the food was quick and tasty.
Overall, this resort is a definite must for people who want to visit Costa Rica right. It's on the edge of the rainforest and ideally located as a great first or final leg for any trip. The restaurants are not crowded, the food is delicious, and the drinks are much better priced compared to most other luxury resorts. Not to mention the relaxing geothermal springs! If we ever come back to Costa Rice this will be a definite stop, as we stick to the interior and avoid the coasts. Well worth your money and time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park