“What a View! If you like Hot Spring Pools, you will love it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“What a View! If you like Hot Spring Pools, you will love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Every room has a great view of the volcano. The rooms beds have a direct view with a large grand window directly facing the volcano. The hotel has about 18 pools, too many to count, heated from the hot springs of the volcano. The pools at the top of the hill start about 103 degrees and then flow down hill to additional pools at about one degree lower, their are about 18 pools, so you will find a beautiful private pool, if you want. Their are two sets of pools, both with full bars and the lower set has a water slide, don't miss it with warm springs. The hotel has a animal rescue on the property, don't miss it it's free, with toucans landing on you, you will see monkeys, variety of wild large jungle cats, and monkeys. Their are beautiful birds and flowers all over, I saw a toucan every day in a tree just off my balcony. Don't miss the breakfast, the buffet is about $15, great selection, coffee and value. Sit out on the patio and enjoy the view of the volcano and birds. The French press, if you request is included and great! The property also has tubing, horseback riding and ATV riding for a fee, but it's nice and easy. You will like this one, we travel often and this hotel is unique, different and relaxing. We spent many hours in the hot pools in the evening, like a private spa! Rent a car, great roads, easy to get around and try hiking the volcano, you do not need a guide, EASY TO NAVIGATE. If you want to try something fun, if you turn left out of the parking lot of the volcano, follow the signs to the butterfly preserve, you will not be disappointed.( It's about 3 miles on a gravel road, but spectacular! Do not forget the camera, monkeys and birds everywhere in CR.

Room Tip: If you ask for the closest building on the 2 floor, building are 2 floors, you will have a high valu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights here for part of our honeymoon. The resort is very private and gorgeous. The honeymoon suite was amazing, very spacious with a jacuzzi tub and private hot spring on the balcony over looking the volcano. The service was great. The food was good at all the restaurants. I wouldn't recommend staying for a full week as the restaurant choices are limited in the area. The spa was great, my husband and I both had wonderful treatments. I highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that Costa Rica is a beautiful place. It is not, however an easy place to get around. My wife and I travelled to San Jose quite easily from the States.The bus from the resort was there to greet us at the airport. Being a typical impatient American, I was ready to start my Costa Rican adventure. Unfortunately, getting anywhere in Costa Rica requires time and patience. We were immediately swept up and taken to Peace Lodge in La Paz. This took about an hour.
The peace lodge is far within the rain forest. The owners have created a magnificent nature preserve there. We went through the butterfly preserve, which was nice but I found their monkey, panther, puma, sloth, exotic frogs, and toucan exhibit far more interesting. The most fascinating exhibit is the hummingbird grounds. One can actually feed the hummingbirds by hand! To give a perspective, later in the trip we were talking with another couple about their experiences in the country. They said that they were able to take pictures of monkeys and toucans off in the distance with their high powered camera. My wife and I didn't have the heart to tell them that I had fed a wild monkey by hand and held a toucan on my arm at the Peace Lodge. The rooms at the Peace lodge were created to fit in with the landscape. When touring this place, my only thought was that I wish my kids could see this. I was truly sad to get back on the bus and steal away from this beautiful place.
We then travelled to The Springs Resort. The resort is nearest to the town of La Fortuna at the base of the Arenal volcano. The resort is strategically placed on a mountain ridge adjacent to the volcano. The rooms all have eight foot windows to allow full view of the Arenal volcano. We arrived after dark and were sped to our rooms by the staff in a golf cart. I later realized that this was necessary because the resort is built into the side of a mountain. When I awoke in the morning and opened the curtains of our room, I was taken aback at the view. I have seen many beautiful vistas in my life, but wow, there was a real life huge smoking volcano! Of course my first question to the locals was "Is that thing gonna blow?". I was assured that it had not had any activity since 1967.
Now that we had cleared that up, we started our first day. After a hike up to the main pavilion, (which is 5 stories) to the restaraunt. I finally made it to the 4th floor for breakfast. Breakfast is a buffet. Let me qualify my review... I hate buffets. Most are just piles of poorly cooked meat, runny eggs, stale bread, old fruit, and greasy potatoes passed off as hash browns. I was pleasantly surprised. There is an omelet bar (which I didn't trust at first but later found to be quite good) lox and bagels (fresh), full fruit bar, etc, etc,... We were then whisked off by bus to the river. The resort has a pavilion placed at the base of its mountain ridge by the Arenal river. The pavilion also has a rock climbing tower, full bar, access to the artesian springs, horseback riding, toucan reserve, and three toed sloth reserve. Our first morning in the pavilion was spent doing yoga. I am not necessarily a big yoga guy but I must say that I was rather limber after the hour long session. The instructor taught me how to squeeze out my liver (being an MD back home, I was skeptical) nontheless it was quite tranquil.
The next three days were filled with repelling, kayaking, zip lining, horse backed riding, ATVing, tubing, climbing, karaoking, monkey sliding, artesian springing, etc, etc,.... I must say that four days spent at the Spring resort seemed much longer. I truly feel that this was the most relaxing and rejuvinating vacation that I have had in a long time. Let me say that if you wish to experience Costa Rica, it is worth it to spend it at The Springs resort. The food is great, the staff is wonderful (we were on a first name basis the first day), the excursions are fabulous, and the facilities are as nice as I have ever experienced.
From a cynical and jaded world traveler.
J. McDowell
Nashville, Tennessee

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a view of the volcano. Our room was exquisite (not the presidential). Any room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Enges, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were there by chance, my husband, my three years old little boy and myself. We hadn't planned for this hotel but sometimes somebody else plans for us. WE LOVED IT! Worth every penny. The rooms are more clean than CLEAN. The bathrooms very nice. the views unbelievable. some of the members of the staff were very friendly. The pools are very well imagined. The access to the river and some outdoor activities very good. There is also a guided tour to some ocelots and other wild cats that were taken from houses that had them illegaly. My son loved the day and didn't want to get out of the river and the hot pools. My husband and I enjoyed every minute. I highly recommend it. The only one thing would be that food is too expensive for what it is. But served with the views of the volcano: who cares?

• Stayed May 2013
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Every inch of the property is impeccably designed/decorated. The food, drinks and service are top notch. We had four fun filled days that included waterfall canyon reppeling, canopy ziplining, ATV extreme tour and of course enjoying cocktails in the natural mineral springs. I highly recommend!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are large and have an breath taking view of the Volcano!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is as close to perfection as possible. The architectural details are incredible. Little details like every key place in the hotel from the infinity pool bar to the restaurants to the rooms themselves having a perfect view of the volcano. The staff is as well trained and friendly as any place I have ever stayed. My wife and I are complete foodies and they absolutely did not disappoint. No need to ever leave the hotel for a restaurant. I don't know how many mineral pools they had but it was likely almost a 1 to 1 ratio to rooms. If you have a lifetime travel checklist you must put this one towards the top of your list. You will not be disappointed. Oh, and make sure you do the zip lines, repelling down waterfall cliffs, horsebacking, tubing and ATV adventure. We packed all that in 4 days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The Springs Resort and Spa is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We were with a group of new and old friends and it was the perfect place for us to all get together. We could lounge at the beautiful pools or do one of the many activities they recommended. There are so many hot spring pools around the resort that I did not have time to see them all. The staff was exceptional! They knew us by name and they catered to our every need. They truly wanted everything to be perfect for us. The rooms are gorgeous and they all have beautiful views of the volcano. I can't wait to visit again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!