We've stayed at quite a few properties in the area and the Springs is the best by far. Service is great, facilities are top notch and there are amazing views from all the public spaces and many of the rooms.
Here are a few things that make this property unique:
1. Land: The property is built on a giant land estate and thus has a definite feel of privacy. They've used this land wisely in keeping it forested and creating a great small zoo on the property. The only downside is a long winding gravel approach road - but we like that!
2. View: Every hotel around Arenal has some view - but only the Springs has "The View". This isn't just subjective. From the dam of Lago Arenal, the river winds down a valley towards Fortuna. A majority of hotels are located here including the famous Tabacon. These hotels are near the road and built on the same slope between the peak and the river near the bottom of the valley. So the views are craning your neck up and looking through trees. There are a few properties on the opposite side where the elevation rises on the other side of the river but they are still close to the road. There is only one hotel where one has to cross the river and climb up the opposite hill for a long distance. This gives the Springs close, unobstructed and powerful views. The hotels on the north shore of the Lake also have similar views but they are are 4-5 miles further away.
Please note that the top of the mountain is often cloudy for days - so the view is dependent on weather.
3. Springs: These "Springs" are beautiful. Sure they are artificially placed, but the water is real (pumped from hot springs), the rocks and vegetation have all grown in nicely and the hidden pools, slides, bar make it great for kids during the day and couples at night. The best thing about these Springs are the crowds - there are none. The upper springs are built wonderfully into the hotel - you can hang out with non bathers, get food and drink easily and watch people and the lower springs are in the Jungle. The Springs are the perfect compliment to the much larger (and more crowded) Tabacon. Do them both but definitely stay here.
4. Service: Amazing service. True 5 star service.
5. Rooms: Modern with rain forest decor. Its not over the top cheesy but nicely done. His and her hammocks on the balcony with a view over the Volcano - priceless.
South Asian Tips: Fish is very good. Vegetarian was sufficient but limited. For multi-generation trips, elderly will struggle with long walks to room from lobby/restaurants. Call for a cart which takes you around behind the parking lot to the top lobby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Jetsetter and Otel so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park