I will preface my review by saying that my wife and I stayed at Nayara before regretfully going to The Springs for a few nights and part of the reason for our lackluster opinion likely stems from comparing it to Nayara. Given that The Springs is more expensive, we expected the experience to be as good if not better.
The Good- The grounds are pretty and the vistas that can be viewed from the main building are pretty incredible. There is a cool bar that might have the best view of the Volcano in the area. The hot springs were kind of cool but the novelty wears off rather quickly. In addition, like other reviewers have indicated, this place is incredibly fake. The whole time we were there we kept joking that it felt like we were on the set for The Flintstones movie. Given that everything is fake, particles and chunks of the “rocks” have a tendency of getting into the water creating a less than sanitary feeling.
The Bad- The food is not good and incredibly overpriced to boot. At dinner our first night, we had 5 different waiters and none of them displayed any semblance of personality. In fact, when one of our new waiters came by to take the menus off our table, I had to tell him that we wanted to actually order food.
The Ugly- We arrived to our room only to encounter the lovely sounds of a hammer and drill. The perfect complement to any honeymoon. It took an act of Congress to find the manager and only after repeated attempts did another person with any authority call us to apologize and offer us a room upgrade. We accepted and were transported to our new room, turned on some music to relax, and were immediately hit with what sounded like the noise of a cat in a blender coming from our broken stereo system. While we were over The Springs at this point, the comedy of errors continued. Upon checking in, we cancelled our prearranged return transportation. However, despite being assured that this would be taken care of, the driver from The Springs still showed up and we had to pull to the bags out of the van and explain to every worker at the hotel that we cancelled our transportation and had other transportation.
While none of these complaints is overly egregious or terrible, it is not what you expect for a place in their price range. It is beyond overhyped and I am disappointed to have wasted money staying there. I guess they are content living on the notoriety of hosting one of the Bachelor shows.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa at Arenal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.