“New Club Rio is a MUST DO in the Arenal area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“New Club Rio is a MUST DO in the Arenal area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just came back from a great trip at The Springs Resort. I have been to Arenal many times, and I was interested to check out The Springs Resort's new adventure area called Club Rio. We first did horseback riding through the rainforest which was amazing. They take great care of the horses. The stables looked clean and the horses were well fed.

Although the rock wall is just being finished for high season, we were lucky enough to do it when we were there! The wall has 4 different difficult levels and you can choose which level you'd prefer. After you reach the top, you can rappel down on a rope! This was one of the nicest rock walls I have ever seen.

My favorite part of the trip was definitely the tubing adventure where we got to race through the rapids on individual tubes. It's a great alternative to white water rafting that works well for couples and families (with children older than 12). I was very impressed by all of the tour guides we met at Club Rio, but the guides that assisted us with the tubing adventure really made our trip fun while always keeping safety in mind. I loved that after the tubing tour, you literally float down the river till you get to their natural hot spring pools. The view is a amazing and the pools are so relaxing.

The Club Rio package is a great value. It's $99 and it includes two tours at Club Rio, a day pass to the beautiful hot springs and an authentic Costa Rican lunch. Many tours only allow you to do one activity a day, but this is the perfect place to do many tours in one area without having to travel around. I would recommend this tour to EVERYBODY looking for a full day of adventure!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I recently spent a weekend at The Springs Resort and Spa. Wow! What an experience! From the minute you arrive, you know you are in for a treat! The welcome cocktail, the friendly and helpful staff, the incredible volcano views and the amazing hot springs. I absolutely loved Club Rio! What a fantastic way to spend a day!! We started off with horseback riding, then did the rock wall climbing, had a fantastic lunch down by the river, then went tubing down the river. The tubing was SO much fun!! The fact that all of these activities are right there on the property makes it easy to not have to leave the resort! I would definitely recommend this amazing resort to anyone and everyone. I can't wait to go back!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I just had the opportunity to experience this beautiful property this past weekend and can't say enough positive about the property and the Club Rio. Well the hotel itself is amazing with beautiful rooms with breathtaking Volcano views. THe hotsprings are wonderful because they offer so many all over the property there is always a quiet spot for your group or a couple to find privacy. I have stayed at this property before but this time around I got to enjoy the new Club Rio which is a huge value. Not everyone can afford to stay at the Springs Resort but everyone can enjoy wonderful hot springs, adventure activities and a great day in this 5 star environment. They offer Horseback riding, tubing, wall climbing and kayaking along with lunch or dinner and the hot springs as a day trip. If you are in Arenal it is a must. THe horseback riding was beautiful its not a dull trot on a boring path. Nope you travel over hills, canter in open fields, ride through the rainforest and even cross a river with the well maintained horses. The wall climbing was fun and challenging and is followed by a fun rappel down the side of the wall but the best part of our trip was the tubing. Such beautiful scenery and a fun time. The guides are the best. They are there to take care of you and keep the group together. The river is gorgeous and the ride fun and funny. ITs great to go with friends as it is so much fun to see them riding down the river and enjoying themselves. I had fun but the best part was seeing my friends faces of excitement and thrill. Once at the end of the river they have the lost hot springs which are at the base of a natural waterfall. I am certainly describing paradise and suggest everyone visit Club Rio during your stay in Arenal. The food was top notch as well!

Room Tip: The Alta vista on the 2nd floor have the best volcano views but really you can not go wrong with cho...
Rocklin, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Costa Rica, starting on the Pacific Coast (near Tamarindo in the Guancaste region), and wrapping up our trip at the Springs Resort. I cried twice at this resort. First when I arrived, and again when we left. Drive is long, but gorgeous and we debated actively whether it was more beautiful or lush than our previous benchmark, the road to Hana. We decided that Costa Rica wins.

We stayed at the Palm Villa which was incredible so I cant comment on the other rooms, but as best put by Ferris Bueller " if you have the means...I highly recommend it". It is a magical place and I continued to be amazed at the level of thought and engineering that was put into every aspect of the resort. To begin with the location is almost unable to be described with words. The volcano is the star of the show and I don't think we found a single location at the resort that didn't put it front and center. Likewise the jungle and springs. My wife called it 'jungle Disneyland' and you couldn't get a better jungle location if you tried. Truly the archetype for a tropical jungle. The first night we took our (included with the villa) golf cart for a brief drive around the resort and came across amazing fireflies, and the sounds of the frogs, insects and smell of the rainforest was an incredible way to open up the trip. As for the villa, every consideration was thought of, it was HUGE, with our own private spa, two hammocks (an outdoor seating area) with a hummingbird feeder. Inside a huge comfortable raised bed, which faced a huge window framing the volcano (what a way to wake up), and two glass doors with screens on them so you can sleep to the sounds of the rainforest. Huge walk in closet area, bathroom also HUGE including a outdoor shower space (my wife almost cried when she saw it!).

Having our own golf cart was really fun and great. The food was impressive and represented a fine technique, moisture control and inventive touch to the preparation during our entire stay.

Prices (I felt) were actually reasonable, certainly much better than the resort we'd stayed at on the coast (JW Mariott), so we felt much better menu and food at better pricing which was a pleasant surprise. Food was great. We took a couples body polish and massage which was excellent and romantic. Nice to get the couples treatment together and they were very accommodating. The focus of the resort is of course, 'the springs' and they were as advertised. Since it was the off season, we found out we were one of 22 couples at the resort which had 150 daily employees - so we felt like we had the place to ourselves. The water is amazing - we spent our first night going down the waterside and floating peacefully secluded looking up through the canopy to the stars and full moon....secluded, romantic and totally relaxing. Staff let us know that during the busy season it is a totally different experience, and I found ours was amazing to have the level of service and privacy which made it so romantic - rainy season? forget about it. Water is warm and so nice.

Volcano seems like something out of a movie and I was fascinated by it. Its so close, and we were treated to smoke coming off it while we were there. Staff said it only started smoking a couple weeks ago, so we felt lucky. Every time I looked at it I expected it to rumble and start erupting - when you think about the classic volcano, this is it - real and huge and incredible.

We were in our room during the 5.8 earthquake which we felt - was really cool and not scary (to me anyway) and amazing to see the lights sway and water slosh out of our private hot tub. I've lived in California most of my life and had to goto Costa Rica to finally feel an earthquake (I felt two while we were there).

Apparently we stayed in the same villa as Willow Smith when she was there with Will Smith filming earlier in the year which was a interesting side note for us and we found pics online of Will standing in front of his villa. We also had the pleasure of a Villa "cat" which we nicknamed Ceelo - because like Cee-Lo we had our personal cat! Very sweet cat (we are cat folks) who we wanted to bring home with us so that was unexpected and very cool. The cat rescue was also amazing to get to be that close to jungle cats - really sweet. We did not do any of the other activities but they looked fun.

To summarize? We have traveled all over the world, from Hawaii/Maui to Europe to Mexico (both coasts - LOVE PLAYA del CARMEN) and have seen some amazing things. The Springs set a new benchmark. A Very special place, special people. I left the JW thinking Costa Rica - nice but I probably wouldn't go back. I left the springs thinking this is where I want to retire and I can't wait to bring my kids, tell my friends and have been gushing about it ever since.

You will be amazed. Don't hesitate. A bucket list item for sure.

Room Tip: Palm Villa was amazing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at The Springs for a long weekend in October. My husband and I went for relaxation, leaving our daughters at home in Hollywood, FL. It was paradise. We had the BEST time. The views of the volcano were incredible. October is low season in CR because of the rain -- don't let that keep you away. It only rains for short periods of time. And the cool rain actually feels nice as you soak in the warm natural spring pools. Plus, we felt like we had the place to ourselves... so romantic and relaxing! The staff was extremely fun and friendly. We had been to the Arenal before, and the views of the volcano on this trip were the best we have seen. We can't wait to go back. This time we will bring our daughters -- they will love everything the resort has to offer from water slides and rock climbing to horseback riding and kayaking, the Springs has it all!

Santa Cruz, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Took my mother over there. We went with the couple of our friends.
The location is a little bit remote (off the main road). You need a good 4 wheel drive to get there, especially If the weather is bad. However, you have great views of Arenal Volcano if it is not covered with clouds.
We shared a beautiful suite with a nice terrace and again with breathtaking views of the volcano. Though our friends told us that even their basic rooms are very good.
I have been to Tabacon Resort before and to be honest I prefer their thermal pools. They look much more natural than the Springs' ones. Unfortunately, the main pool in Springs contains too much chlorine in it, and the staff just throws it inside the pool (you can see this white undiluted powder) which makes it very unattractive.
About the service. In the evening the service in the restaurant was ok and the quality of food was acceptable, but if you have a car just go to La Fortuna town and eat food over there - much better food, service and prices.
Breakfast selection was ok, but service was terrible. They try to ignore you, especially if you are a woman. It looks like men- waiters are ashamed of serving ladies-guests. Plus they are not trained at all. I think it is unacceptable for 5 star property with such a price tag.
You can take a hotel shuttle (runs every hour) and go to see their zoo with rescued animals - very sad. Or you can take a tube adventure on the river. Unfortunately, we were not told about that during check in, so we missed on the river adventure. Again, lack of customer service.
All in all, it could be a really great 5-star property. Please improve your service!

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Let me preface this review by saying that I was born in Costa Rica but now live in the United States and travel yearly to Costa Rica with my children and husband. We have stayed at the springs 3 times, the most recently in August of 2012. Not only it is beautiful and romantic, with a spa where you can get a massage while looking at the volcano, but we also find it to be very kid friendly. My kids loved getting milk shakes at the swim up bar and we found the restaurants to be very accommodating. It is not inexpensive but we always feel like Kings and Queens when we stay here. The rooms are lovely, with amazing views and comfortable beds. (they will set up beds for the kids when requested). I would sit outside on the room's patio drinking my coffee and watching the volcano erupt, it is amazing.

Room Tip: All rooms have wonderful views, one on the upper floor lets you avoid some stairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!