“The Magnificent Springs Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“The Magnificent Springs Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

From the moment we arrived to The Springs Resort & Spa (around 7:30p.m from our 3 hour van ride from San Jose!) we were greeted warmly by the staff! We were escorted to our two story Oropendula suite, I was fortunate to stay in this beautiful suite for 4 nights! It was just my cousin and I so we each got a floor to ourselves!

The Room: Oropendula suite

This is their $750 a night room, but so worth it! You walk in and you're in awe. There's a lot of wood and bamboo , so it gives you that luxurious wooden cabin feel. There is a small hallway to the first floor main room, along the way you pass the bathroom, equipped with a double sink, a walk-in shower (with seat), a walk-in toilet area, and the best Jacuzzi tub I've ever seen (honestly my favorite part of the room!jk but I love spa tubs!)

Once you enter the main room floor, you have a King size bed facing the main window---giving you a view of a lifetime---the Arenal Volcano! There are two chairs right in front of the window. Of course there is a full mini bar with a great wine selection. The balcony is awesome, equipped with a patio table, two rocking chairs, and two hammocks! Plus it has one of the best views in the world! The humming birds fly right up to the balcony...we did spot the feeders which draws them to the balcony. And you'll surely hear them and the jungle come alive around 5am. The only down-side to the balcony were the wasp. But if you ask the staff to take down the little nest the wasp create (on the daily basis) they do, so no worries. And at night the wasp sleep so you really don't have to worry about them too much!

Now onto the upstairs room, it's a open space with a king size bed, and a living room area (two couches and a coffee table)...other than the living room the set up is quite similar to the downstairs room with a mini bar and balcony. The upstairs bathroom room however only has a shower so if you want to use the tub you would have to go downstairs!

Both rooms come with flat screen TV's, DVD, radio, and ipod stations. They have this surround sound feature, so you can choose the rooms where you want to have the music...even in the bathroom, which I loved!

The Resort and Amenities:

The Resort itself is built on a side of a mountain which is why all the rooms face the Volcano! It is one of the most beautiful resorts I've ever seen!There are pools and springs everywhere! I only found one or two springs to be hot to my liking but that's because I love really hot water but they are all really nice and relaxing! There is one spring with a water-slide in the Perdido Springs area, that I didn't try but my cousin did and loved it.

The main part of the resort, has about 4 levels--this is where the front desk gift shops, restaurants, spa, and the gym are located. I didn't get to go to the gym but It looked great everything you need if you want to stay in shape while you're there! I did go to the spa my last day and had a hour Swedish massage which was quite heavenly. You get a robe and slippers, and you have access to the spa amenities like the sauna and lounge room.

The Restaurants:
We ate at Tres Casadas every morning...a very Typical American-like buffet. Nothing spectacular. Their Sushi bar is pretty good. And their dinner at Tres Casadas wasn't bad either. We did order room service one night, I had a steak, mashed potatoes and veggies and that was quite good. My cousin is a pescatarian and she'll liked their selections as well. I think for such a spectacular resort, the food could definitely be better. I would love to see more Costa Rican cuisine on the menu. But I talked to the Operations Manager and he insured me that the food is something they are working on. I went a few months ago so it could be different now!

Club Rio:

We loved Club Rio which is their outdoor adventures part of the resort located down the hill. They have a bus that takes you every hour. We were able to experience tubing down the river..which was a lot of fun! The river is a little rocky but nothing you can't handle! We also went horse back riding through the jungle and up a mountain side...it was my first time on a horse, interesting to say the least. But it was awesome experience! They have a guide with you the whole time so you feel pretty safe.

Overall I loved the resort! And if you are in the La Fortuna Area you should stay at least a night or two or simply go for the day!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This was by far one of the most AMAZING rooms I have ever seen in my entire life. The resort itself will take your breath away with all the pools, hot tubs and landscaping - but then they top it off by having hot pools in the jungle WITH A WATERSLIDE!! It was absolutely fantasic. The room was so much more than I expected as well. Very spacious, comfortable and the view was incredible. They have so much more on the resort to offer and you MUST make time to go to Club Rio at the bottom of the hill that they will shuttle you down for. They have an Amazing hiking trail complete with more hot pools and a beautiful tree. They have rescue animals including Ocelots, Pumas and Monkeys that were a real treat to see. They offer horseback riding down there as well as kayak & tube rentals for the river. I needed more time for this resort and will absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room. You don't get the high ceilings, but you get your own private hot...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Allentown NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We informed the front desk when we checked in that we had just come from Peace Lodge and they had a lot to live up to. The resort and the views are beautiful but the service fell just a bit short compared to Peace Lodge but was very ggod all the same. The room was lovely and coffee on the balcony with the view of Arenal Volcano was spectatcular. The sushi bar was great and would highly recommend. Breakfast buffet was a little pricey, if you have a car go into La Fortuna instead. Took the ATV extreme tour and it was GREAT! Highly recommend that tour. Ecoglide Zipline is right down the road and again if you have a car just drive yourself over to save money. Same with Arenal Hanging Bridges,,,an easy 15 minute drive from the hotel(once you get out of that horrible driveway that is ;) Overall I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We did not stay at the Springs, but we did purchase a pass ($40 pp for 2 days) so that we could enjoy the hot springs. This resort is absolutely beautiful and the hot springs are amazing. There are more than 20 pools and they are surrounded by rainforest with spectacular views of the volcano. We ate at the swim up bar and had a fantastic lunch and delicious drinks. The staff was very nice. The only reason that we did not stay here is that it is very expensive. I'm glad that we were able to get a pass to enjoy all of the property activities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Took an overnight trip with my 14 year old daughter arranged by my Spanish immersion school in Flamingo Beach. Oh my goodness, what a treat! Our "room" was actually a duplex, and very private. We were surrounded by flowers and plants of all kinds, as well as an actual garden in our bathroom shower - breathtaking! I want a bathroom like this at home now! The resort provides scented oil, candles and a box of matches to complete the experience. Somehow, they manage to seal the doors and windows so completely that there was not a single bug in our room (which came complete with a non-fridge and coffee maker). This, in and of itself, is huge in CR - I didn't think it could be done. The grounds are breathtaking; the staff is accessible and friendly (Costa Rico in general has the friendliest people I have ever met). There is staff driving golf carts around that are available to pick you up and take you to your room/home or from it, to anywhere on the grounds (although we chose to walk; it's just too pretty to rush it - and you may see howler monkeys or various beautiful birds too). The only reason I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 is the food. It is pricey and mediocre at best. I also agree that the "hot springs are not really hot, just warm. Although if they are naturally heated by Arenal, that really can't be helped unless they artificially heat it. LOTS to do around the area too, including horseback riding; guided tour through the rain forest; white water rafting; nature tours via water or land; zip lining; and the nearby Fortuna waterfall is one of nature's most beautiful sights. The scenery here is worth our whole trip. We were able to see a part of CR we have missed by sticking to the beaches.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Walnut Creek, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel was over the top. So beautiful and clean with amazing views of the volcano. Loved all the pools and it was not even crowded. The rooms are amazing and the staff is so helpful.
I told my husband "pinch me...i must be dreaming". We loved starting our day in the gym. It is the nicest gym I have every seen. The spa is beautiful and the grounds are well manicured.
With that said there are a few cons:
Dining- I did not want to eat a breakfast buffet every day. $20 pp and six in my family added up. I wish they had a little coffee bar with pastries and bagels for people who don't want to spend a lot on breakfast. Not enough places to eat at the hotel. Food was decent.
Location- Get ready for your "costa rican massage". 10 minute bumpy road to hotel from main road. To go to town costs about $50 roundtrip/family. Everything is pricey in CR.
Do the ecoglide zipline and tarzan swing. The tarzan swing was the hilight of our trip. I would definitely want to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Monroe, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The resort was as advertised- beautiful and unique. The thermal pools are small and isolated - you can have one to yourself quite easily. The staff is over the top in service (especially Jerry the bartender who treated my insect bite - a full service swim up bar!). The flora is magical, humming birds everywhere. Rooms were spacious and lovely. Free wifi.

The food - meh. Since it was not an all inclusive and the place is fairly isolated you are kinda stuck. Especially for the $18 breakfast. Also, the much vaunted volcano view wasn't there. I think this was due to low cloud cover during the "green season". Still, we know it was there!

Despite that, our family loved this resort and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!