“Nice place to visit with the family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
orange county, ca
“Nice place to visit with the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were able to get a 2 day pass for the springs from our hotel and we had a great time. The property is huge and it felt almost empty when we went in July. The kids could jump from pool to pool and we generally had the pools to ourselves. The pools were clean and the staff were friendly. There are some pools where you need to climb from one to the next over the cement poolside that is made to look like natural rock. The kids came away with some scratches on their toes.

We did not stay at the hotel, just visited the springs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed with another couple in July for three nights, but I wished we would have stayed longer! It was by far the most amazing location/resort I've seen! Definitely do the hanging bridges, zip lining, and canyoning! I can't wait to come back and bring my kids when they get older!!!! I am absolutely in love with costa rica!!!

• Stayed July 2012
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Beautiful hotel, grounds, rooms. We had one of the 2 bedroom suites with the most spectacular view of volcan Arsenal. Pool area was great and the wildlife reserve was very interesting. My only complaint was no elevator to our rooms on the 3rd floor (my elderly mother would have benefited.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Short Version:
PROS: the staff was super helpful, even upgraded us to one of their nicest villas, very accommodating, helpful at recommending the best excursions and activities and even helped set them up for us. The resort it self is beautiful with over 20 hot springs, all very clean and well-kept. I would recommend staying here for couples or families since there's so much do on the actual property without traveling.
CONS: The food was okay, not the best and definitely over priced. The wifi never worked.

Detailed Version:
As soon as we checked-in, we got greeted with welcome drinks and a short tour of the property. They drive golf carts around the property and take you to the room since its such a big resort. Although it was big, it didn't feel commercialized, its still was very true to Costa Rica and I definitely felt I was in another country but with all the facilities of being home. We got checked-in and they kindly upgraded us to one of the best villas on the resort (some of the bell men told us Will Smith stayed in our same villa a month before with his family!). The views from all the rooms face the Arenal Volcano so each room had an amazing view no matter what. All the rooms were clean with the occasional bug creeping in that is just unavoidable in the rain forest. Our villa even came with a sweet cat that hung around our whole stay there! We later found out it was a neighbors cat but often comes to the resort since many customers end up feeding it (as we did). It was also so nice when we came back from our activities everyday to see our clean room with a new towel animal on the bed; we had an elephant, turtle, swans, etc. Super cute and very thoughtful!
The activities that are offered at the resort were awesome. We ended up doing the tubing and 4-wheeling. The 4-wheeling tour was amazing! It was just me, my husband, and the instructor and he took us for an hour long tour (theres several other options) across the property but we had the chance to see the most gorgeous views! We drove along all different types of roads, rain forest, mud, grass...it was a true ATV experience. The instructor also took our camera and took great action shots of us while riding around.
The tubing was my husbands favorite. Again, it was just me and my husband and THREE instructors! It was amazing floating down the river (which was graded 2-3). The instructors made us feel very safe and even when we got stuck in rocks, it was so much fun. The best part of the experience was that they video taped it for us for free and gave us an edited version when we checked out. I highly recommend tubing if you're not going to go rafting. It was also nice that we got such great service and it was so personal. Each instructor made sure we had a good time and were super friendly and informative. The resort also offered horse back riding, kayaking, and several other activities that we didn't have a chance to do.
I can't say enough good things about all of their staff. Each of them from the moment we checked-in to checking out, to the waitresses, hostess, instructors, and bell men...they were all so helpful, kind and fun to be around.
The hot springs were also the best part of the resort, obviously. The were all very clean and maintained well. They open from around 8am to about 10pm I think. I wished they were open a little longer in the evening for late nights, but other than that, they were the most relaxing pools. They range from 103 degrees to some very cold ones. They have around 20 different springs. One pool has a bar where you can order drinks and food from. Another one has a slide. They all range in temperature and have signs in front of them so you know what to expect before getting in. They have towels and baths located around each of the pools so it was very convenient. At night, they are all lighted up and made for a romantic evening. Since there were so many pools, it felt very private which is something my husband and I very much appreciated.
Another great thing about this resort is that it is located in the best spot, only 20 minutes from downtown La Fortuna, the La Fortuna Waterfalls, and Star Trek zip-lining. Beware of the rocky roads though that lead up to the resort. If you are weak when it comes to motion sickness, please take medicine before you ride ANYWHERE in Costa Rica since ALL the roads curve in every other direction.
The only "bad" things I can say about this resort is that the food was not up to par, especially when we ate outside the resort in La Fortuna and honestly had the best food I've ever eaten at this restaurant called Don Rafinos. The breakfast buffet (which is the only restaurant opened for breakfast on the whole resort expect room service) was the same everyday and little expensive since I don't eat much to began with.
The other thing was that the wifi kept going out so we never had access to the internet to check important emails, make other travel arrangements, etc. But, they still tried to help whenever they could, which was part of their great customer service.
I HIGHLY recommend staying at The Springs and look forward to bringing my whole family here the next time we come to Costa Rica. PURA VIDA!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hoover, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I just returned from spending 9 days in Costa Rica and this property was the best. The room was very clean and upscale, the mineral pools and bar in a swiming pool were great. The food in the casual dining room was average but the food in the formal dining room was horrible. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was great. The fitness room and spas were excellent. I suggest that you spend one day in the nearby town of La Fortuna and experience authentic Costa Rican people and food. I will return to this paradise in Costa Rica!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Springs Resort and Spa had atleast 2 maybe 3 staff members per guest. They were great. I have 4 kids all under 10 and they couldnt get enough of the CLub Rio that they have on the property. Club Rio is on the resort property and provides lots to do. My kids went tubing every day down the river and it was the highlight of their trip. Not to mention the 20 plus pools they would hop from one to another. This is a must stay location and I will be back with my family. Clean and very friendly. I travel often and I was pleasantly surprised with this hidden gem. Views were great and activities were perfect for the family. Spa is open late so after the kids went down my wife was able to go relax and get a massage. We will be back.

Room Tip: only like 45 units here. I would ask for the Villa Calatela i believe it was called. This villa is...
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I travelled w two fourteen year-olds in early July. Of the three places we stayed in Costa Rica, this was our least favorite. Compared to the eco-resorts and beautiful nature in other areas, this hotel seemed like an American cousin came to Costa Rica and built a castle. Our rooms were grand, and the kids loved the big screen TVs, the pools, and the game room with every gamer's favorite. But that's not why we came to Costa Rica! The food was okay; breakfast was the best meal by far. A waiter removed a lunch item from our bill because it tasted like fried rice with chicken out of the freezer section of a US grocery store. It felt like the waiters knew that their tip was added on automatically so there was no need to make an effort. The hotel service was only fair - the front desk would transfer me to the concierge and no one would answer. After three attempts, I asked the front desk attendant to have the concierge call me - and the concierge never did. On the plus side, the grounds are beautiful and well taken care of. But overall, I wanted a more ecologically minded experience with staff that really cared.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!