“Springs, springs, and more springs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
“Springs, springs, and more springs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

This is the sister hotel to the peace lodge located in the la Paz waterfall gardens My husband and I traveled here after a couple nights stay at the lodge. The Springs is really first class. The rooms are very nicely done and very clean. The patios have hammocks and humming bird feeders which is a great way to start off your morning. The humming birds are constantly buzzing around.

There are a variety of springs throughout the property which vary in size and temperature. It's a great way to spend a day soaking around.

As far as dining and food, I would say that there are a variety of options to choose from. The food is good but expect to pay top resort price. I would stay away from the sushi bar. It doesn't seem like the fish is kept cold enough and it appeared that they kept the oil that they use for the deep fryer in the fryer and used it day after day. The fryer was just out in the open...

If you're thinking about heading into town, la fortunate, probably think again. The hotel is situated down a long and bumpy gravel road so be prepared to stay on resort grounds. Although there are a few activities to choose from on the grounds.

My only concern is that they have an animal sanctuary as they do at the peace lodge. I am not a fan of animals in cages especially large beautiful cats. These animals need space to roam. I did not visit this area and would discourage it.

Overall, great place to stay for about 2-3 days. Staff is very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We didnt stay at this hotel however we used did the tour, used their pool and had dinner there. The pools were great with different temperature to choose from, drinks by the pool side bar was good even their dining room has beautiful view of the canyon and volcano.

Dumfries, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our entire trip to Costa Rica was amazing. My wife and our daughters stayed at the Springs from 22-26 June, and we didn't want to leave. After leaving the Springs we stayed at the Westin Playa Conchal near Tamarindo (about a 4 1/2 hour drive) for 5 more nights before we returned home. The Westin was alright but not amazing like the Springs. I wish we had stayed at the Westin first because we were spoiled after staying at the Springs. Anyway, here is my opinion about the Springs Resort.

Facilities: All of the rooms were fabulous in terms of comfort, cleanliness, design, functionality, and beauty. The pool and pool bars were also excellent. Since there are trees and flowers everywhere, the employees are constantly working hard (mostly at night) to keep the pools clean and they do a pretty good job.

Food: The food and food service at the Springs was superb but we wanted to explore a little. So we drove down town to La Fortuna to eat a couple of times. We ate at Los Brasitos and Don Rufinos and the food was very good, but the food at the Springs was better and not that much more costly...perhaps 20-30 dollars more per meal for my entire family to eat at the Springs. Bottomline...our dining experience at the Springs was excellent but it's probably worth the effort to try out the local fare once or twice like we did because the Springs is not all inclusive and it was fun to get out and explore the local restaurants.

Activities: We did zip lining, safari jungle rafting, tubing, horseback riding. The horseback riding and tubing was on the Resort and therefore very convenient. The ladies had a Spa day at the hotel that they really enjoyed. Some of the activities, like zip lining takes about an hour of travel time. The white water tubing (or kayaking) on the resort is fairly short and is probably not as challenging as some might prefer but it was perfect for us. We also enjoyed the zoo they have at the Springs. Our favorite activity was the horseback riding ($35 per person I think). We liked it most because of the guy in charge of the horses. His name is George (pronounced "orhay"). A former Costa Rican cowboy, George's knowledge of his trade, devotion to the horses, and the attention he gave to my family created our most memorable and enjoyable moments. I bumped into George several other times during our stay and he was always enthusiastically caring for his horses and greeting guests. I guess you can tell that we really liked George.

Cons: The only downside I can offer is the Springs is a bit pricey...but it really wasn't that much more than some of the other nice resorts. And I strongly suspect that they don't come close to the quality of the Springs. We charged everything to the room and the final bill was about $6K I've read some negative remarks about the hot springs on the hotel property but I can't really comment because we didn't take time to go to any of the other hot springs. As far as the dirt road to the Springs is concerned, it is a little rough. But it wasn't a problem for us at all. We drove a rented Toyota Rav 4 and had absolutely no concerns. We never once needed to put it in 4WD, even the one time we were driving through a pelting rain storm. You just can't drive much over 20-25 miles an hours without it rattling the vehicle to pieces. It just wasn't a big deal to us. Oh yeah...we spotted a Sloth in a tree on this road...very cool. We learned from a tour guide that you can find them by looking for trees with white bark and not many leaves (they like to eat the leaves). The general road conditions on the roads to and from Liberia were pretty good. I thought they might be horrible based on what I'd read in Trip Advisor. My wife did get stressed out a little because there are a lot of local folks walking on the edge of the road and riding bicycles and the drivers don't slow down. Clearly, you have to be much more cautious and vigilant while driving in Costa Rica than in the U.S. On our way back to Liberia, we saw a paramedics arriving to attend to a lady who we think somebody hit with a vehicle on the Pan American Highway. Disturbing.

On a side note...after we checked out of the Springs and were driving around the lake towards Playa Conchal, we were looking for a "German Restaurant" called the Gingerbread House that we heard was really good. Unfortunately the place was only open for dinner so we stumbled onto a charming little place called the Lucky Bug (which also happened to serve German food). We really enjoyed our lunch there. The food, landscaping, view from the dining area, and their artsy Costa Rican decor was very nice. Good place for a relaxing meal and great for pictures.

Most everything about our Costa Rica vacation was great, but the time we spent at the Springs was the very best of the best. My family unanimously agrees that the Springs was the "Best Place Ever". We want to go back.

Room Tip: The lower floors might not have as good of a view, but I really think they are all good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We didn't spend the night in this resort but took advantage of there 2 day $99.00 Club Rio package. We were able to use the facilities of the resort and go horseback riding or tubing. We went tubing twice and had a great time. The resort is stunning to say the least. The pools are amazing and so are the DRINKS... One of the waiters took great care of us the entire time we were there and we thanked him for his service. The food, not so great but that's Costa Rica!!!
Ive been to this country four times and I don't come for the food. I come for the adventure and location. Getting to this resort of the main road is alot of fun!!! Bumpy not paved for about 5 miles of up and down. Pretty hard to belive for a place like this. But once you get there your in paradise. It was rainy season but we got to see the entire volcano without any clouds. Stunning out of the main pool bar, look back and your in AWE!!!!

I didnt do the other springs in the area but this place is worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The place is Spectacular...everything about it is beautiful, the service is impeccable. the view is awesome the whole experience was awesome . THE PROBLEM WAS THE THERMAL SPRINGS WERE NOT HOT and the road to the hotel from the main highway was a nightmare of 3.5 kilometers and i have a 4X4...MAJOR DISAPPIONTMENT!!! other than that the place was out if this world

Room Tip: make sure the thermal springs are actually hot before you go or you will be terribly disappointed
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was the best vacation I have ever had. We were here to celebrate my 60th birthday and Wow what a place. I have never met such nice people and I have traveled extensively over the years! The staff from Jason at the front desk Andy at the pool barand the rest of the staff at the bars in the resteraunts and bars could not be better! Club Rio and out Tubing led by Byron, Orlando and Mario was so much fun! I would highly recommend tubing! The views from our room was breathtaking!! Thank you Springs Resort you made turning 60 a whole lot better! Will be back soon!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Alta Vista Room with a balcony but every room has an awesome view of the volcano to...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This hotel was fantastic. The staff were top notch, always catering to every need and going the extra distance. The facilities were immaculate and the scenery is breathtaking!! The pools they have there were pristine and relaxing. Unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Keihlor gave us an orientation of the hotel which was fabulous, and Donald the bartender at the Presido Springs bar made the best drinks I've ever had. We had one hiccup in that the transport we booked to take us to the hotel from the airport never showed. Natalia, the concierge, rectified a transport hiccup for us by discounting our next transport which we appreciated. The food was outstanding as well- I am definitely going back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!