This review has 2 aspects to it that offset each other for an overall average rating; the physical hotel facility is beautiful. The grounds, hot springs and pools are unique. Also, our room was spacious, beautifully furnished, with fine wood trim all over and it was very comfortable. The views and terrace were outstanding. But there is something lacking with too many employees in terms of their knowledge of matters affecting guests, attitude, and the service level provided at this hotel. From having done a good deal of traveling and staying in similarly rated luxury hotels, I would say that too many employees at this hotel are in need of better training. I should be clear that some of the employees were pleasant, well informed, and seemed to care about their guests; however it was not the majority of what we experienced. Here is just a few examples during our stay of less than a week:
- Multiple food orders coming out completely wrong in one of the restaurants;
- Outside restaurant reservations made prior to my family's arrival, which were confirmed via email to me prior to my arrival from the hotel that I later learned (on the night we were to go out of the hotel to dinner) were never made;
-Being told by the hostess on New Years Eve that the dinner included a bottle of champagne only to have to argue with the waiter 10 minutes later as his understanding was that it only included a glass of sparkling wine. Then when the waiter finally agreed that we were supposed to get a bottle, and about half the bottle was poured for us, the bottle was taken away and I had to ask for it back and the waiter then lied to us and said it was already empty which was absurd as we saw the half full bottle taken away; and
-Being told on New Years eve that the buffet ends at 10:00 for dinner and they begin to take it down at 9:45 (on New Years Eve!) so we then went down to the bar and had the bartender tell us that the bar closes at 11:00 - yes, on New Years Eve!
With the proper training of employees, this could become a first class hotel but they have a ways to go vs. their competitors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park