“Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

First of all, The resort is magnificent! We went from Fort Lauderdale, FL so the trip was easy.
The property is just wonderful and really captures the true essence of Costa Rica. The staff was beyond friendly and the rooms were perfect. The resort was extremly organized in arranging our transportation to and from San Jose as well as any and all excursions we wanted to take. The hot springs were all wonderful and extremly relaxing. There is so much we could say, but at the end of the day the resort was above any and all expectations we had. I have not one fault with the resort as it was operated as a true 5 star resort along the lines what you might expect from a Ritz/Four Seasons. We spoke to many other guests and all of them felt the same way we did. I dont have anything negative to write here as it was simply a terrific weekend excursion away from reality.
If you are looking for a honeymoon spot and want to be in a romantic setting, I can't imagine too many place being more romantic.
Birthday, ammiversary, family reunions, anything! I would recommend it for all!!
Obviously we had a magical time there...I hope you take this review and visit this wonderful location and experience everything we did.
Oh, one regret, we didn't have time to visit their other resort, peace lodge, but will certainly do so on our next visit. I hear wonderful things about that resort as well.
Thank you for reading this review.
Greg & Maria

Room Tip: There are no tips! every room faces the volcano! That is one of the wonderful things the owner was c...

1,194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Redington Shores, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I have had the opportunity to travel to many beautiful destinations over my 40 years. I took a risk and chose a brand new country (Costa Rica) and a brand new resort to celebrate my 40th birthday. To my surprise, I ended up spending my 40th at THE most amazing resort I have ever been to... The Springs in Arenal, Costa Rica. They thought of everything. The numerous mineral spring/pools all over the resort were refreshing and beautiful. We even had a fresh Mineral pool on our back patio. We just need to press a button and fresh HOT mineral water straight from a well was pumped into our pool. Now I realize why The Springs was rated as one of the best views in the world. The smoking Arenal Volcano was framed perfectly out of the giant painless window in our room. The service matched any 5 diamond resort I have been to. There were almost too fast sometimes. They never said no. Anything I needed, was their "pleasure". We befriended many of the staff... knowing them by first name, and we were only there 4 nights. The ratio of customer to help was amazing. I felt like I had 3-4 people personally waiting on me. They spared no expense in the innovation of this state-of-the-art tropical resort. We WILL be back.

Room Tip: If you want a pool on your porch, ask for the honeymoon suite. However, the numerous pools all over...
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel was fine, but I would NOT recommend visiting this property in the low season. We went in October 2011, and not all of the pools were open. Food was okay but very pricey. Rooms are really nice, and the pools are a treat. But, I thought the property was in low-season mode, and guests should pay accordingly.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I went there as part of a fully paid for 4 in 1 package form Anywhere Costa Rica. we were dirvien down 2 to 3 miles of dirt road to reach the hotel. When we arrived we were told there was a $5.00 charge for a locker "so much for fully paid for tour". The most disappointing thing was this was the "Hot Springs" part of the package. The pools were lukewarm at best, about the temperature of a swimming pool in Boston in the summer. The fact is the farther you go away from teh volcano the cooler the water gets and this place is miles of the main road. Major disapointment.....

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight, thanks.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband I were in La Fortuna for several days staying at a very nice resort. I told him that I had heard about The Springs Resort and Spa from another couple and it sounded wonderful. So we decided to take a drive and see for ourselves. When we approached the resort I knew we were in for a treat. We went to the front desk and I introduced ourselves to the Front Desk Manager, Patrick Mahoney. I told him that I was in the travel business and wanted to take a tour. He could not have been nicer and was thrilled to show off the property. After the tour we inquired to see if they had availability and we were thrilled to learn that they did.

The next day we packed up and moved to paradise at The Spring resort and Spa. Once we got settled in there was no need to leave, the resort has everything a vacationer would want at your fingertips. The view of the Arenal volcano was wonderful from our room. We loved to wake up and see the moneys and Humming Birds outside our patio. We went Kayaking down a white water river, we spent many hours relaxing in the mineral springs. While at the resort we met so many other couples and families who were also having a wonderful time. Many of whom we are still in touch with. The food was fabulous and the pool bar is a must. There is also an animal reserve on property that is free to all. I had never been so up close to wild animals. The staff was eager to make sure that our stay was the best experience possible. In fact we had an early flight back to the states and had planned on staying at a Hampton Inn near the airport, but Patrick (our new friend) told us that they had a sister property called The Peace Lodge that was only 45 minutes from San Jose Airport and that this resort was equally as impressive. I couldn't imagine that this could be possible, so we decided to stay our last night at The Peace Lodge. Patrick was right, The Peace Lodge, while very different wass just as wonderful. Our only regret is that we didn't get to stay a couple of extra days at The Peace Lodge. We are now planning to return in March and bring our 13 year daughter, she will just love the experience. If you have the opportunity to stay at either property you will not be sorry. Over the top!

Room Tip: everyroom has a wonderful view of the volacano
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I were married just last month and spent part of our honeymoon here at the Springs and it would have been the most perfect time, except for some cockroaches in our room. :( It was our 3rd day in and we had some food out and by the end of the night, saw and killed 3 or 4 huge roaches. I was traumatized! We had moved rooms, the first was a smaller room 2 doors down the infested one and then we were moved to another honeymoon suite next to the infested one. But we still saw and killed at least 1 or 2 roaches a night, it was unacceptable and we were very surprised by this and how such a great resort could have this problem. It's unfortunate, but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you see any cockroaches, change rooms, try for one higher up in the resort and try not to have fo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We were staying at the Four Seasons in Guanacoste and went for one night to the Springs Resort. We decided to go first class and rented the villa (Villa Calatea) which was gorgeous. We had our own golf cart to get around and were right across from the secluded Perido Springs pools. These pools and grounds were absolutely gorgeous. The views from the villa were breathtaking. The things we did not like were a) having to wear a rubber wristband. We felt like we were at ClubMed. The told us it was to disguinish the importance of the guests. Aren't all the guests important? b) We had no hot water in the master bath c) the hairdryer was from the 1960s d) the service in their premier restaurant (Las Ventanas) was the worst. We were happy to get back to the Four Seasons after this.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!