“Looks Great - Poor Service/Passport Theft = Worst Hotel Ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Springs Resort and Spa

You added The Springs Resort and Spa to your Saves list
The Springs Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Montana de Fuego, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Washington, DC
“Looks Great - Poor Service/Passport Theft = Worst Hotel Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The Springs was the start of a 2 week vacation touring Costa Rica bouncing across the country. After my stay here I was REALLY worried that the rest of the trip, worries were unwarranted - all subsequent hotels were absolutely AWESOME (Arenas Del Mar and Finca Rosa Blanca).

The Good: Initial intro to the hotel - gorgeous views and property, room has a comfy bed, nice bathroom and SPECTACULAR view to the volcano. There are also feeders all over the property so you're guarnteed to see a huge number of birds and small mammals who come to feed.

The Meh: If you like natural springs (I do) go to Tabacon. The Springs is like Disney Land, manufactured nature with spring water pumped into artificial structures. It's pretty but...

The Ugly: The staff were just off (very apparent after staying at the other hotels) going through the motions out of due dilligence vs. any real enthusiasm. Out of three eateries only one was open during the stay - during one dinner the power went out and we ended up having dinner (mmmm steaks, fish and wine) in the dark with guests moving to other tables if you choose to do so. Breakfasts left much to be desired with the best food coming off resort. Good luck finding a Tico meal here.

Booked a few trips off campus and I figured this is the time where my passport was stolen from the room - after going out on an ATV/Caving tour (was a LOT of fun - do it if you're here or arrange through other hotels) and was heading out the next day. The next morning go to pick up my passport from the bedstand and it's gone... First time I don't put it in the lockbox (figured - good reviews, nice hotel and let my guard down). Anyhoo, commence the comedy of errors, even if I had the passport the concerige was 45 min off from when we needed to be at the airport/car ride over. Eventually we get agreement from hotel to pick up 100% of van ride to Arenas Del Mar which later went down to 50%.

Later on called to inquire about the passport and was given the old run around, passed onto 4+ people, etc., manager is not available. Finally I emailed the Springs when I get back Stateside which reached the Manager. He was very professional in handling the situation - covering a night of the stay to compensate for additional cost to get to Arenas Del Mar and magically the passport was found.

If you stay there, lock up your stuff or even better go to Tabacon instead.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Just got back from my second stay at The Springs. The place is phenomenal. I can't imagine a better place to stay for a family. The entire property is finished out very nicely. You have to wonder how they accomplished building it. The rooms are spacious and the patios are a great place to relax. The service is wonderful. Johnny at the concierge desk is a very helpful resource for activities. I had done all of my research so I knew what I wanted to do but it was nice to have him facilitate it. He also arranged a Safari Float with his buddy named Gravein (sp?) which was awesome. We saw about 50 monkeys, a huge snake, blue jeans frog, bats, sloth and lizards. Another person worth noting is a young man named Marvin. He opened up the kids activity room when I mentioned my son was disappointed it was closed (open every night on first visit). Apparently it is usually only open when they have a lot of kids in house. The pools are gorgeous, water slide is fun, the river area is amazing - there is just so much to do and they do it all well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hopewell Junction, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

My husband, 10 year old son and I had the most magnificent stay at The Springs. We love to travel and explore new places and Costa Rica was one of the best vacations we've taken. The view from our balcony was right out of a sceen from Jurrasic Park! I have never before seen an active volcano and it is truly an inspiring sight to see.
The rooms were large, very well maintained and beautifully decorated with a eco-luxury vibe. We spend much time on the large balcony, (equipt with hammocks, tables, and comfy chairs) just soaking in the incredible view.
We loved the hot spring pools, especially the main pool with the infinity edge that also had a front and center view of the volcano. The spa was fabulous also, with, yes, views of the volcano from the lounge area.
The staff could not have been more helpful. It was my 40th birthday and I returned to my room to find a third flower arrangment, bottle of wine and towel animals. Johnny, the concierge, was so helpful with all of our tours and transfers. Due to Irene, our stay in Costa Rica was extended by a day...wish it were longer. Due to the threat of the storm's impact on NYC we made back up plans just incase we were to stay longer. Johnny came through again with making arrangments for us at the Peace Lodge if we needed them. Sadly, we returned home but we WILL return to Costa Rica. We are hoping to try out The Peace Lodge as well as return to The Springs.
To the manage,ent and staff at The Springs: Thank you for making our Costa Rica trip 'Pura Vida!"

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This review is for the 2 day visitors pass to the hot springs. You get access to the pools, free dinner and a cat tour. The pools are lovely and you have amazing views. The swim up bar was really nice. Dinner sucks, although the tres leches was good. I was really put off by the service though. First off, you get the snooty vibe from the reception because you are a 'visitor'. Then the guy handing out towels did so with great reluctance because we did not have 'towel tickets' (what?!). What really annoyed us was the handling of the cat tour. We were told to wait near the front desk and they would inform us when the shuttle arrives at 4. We did just that - only nobody informed us until 4:10 that the shuttle had already left. The person handling the tours (wish I had his name) did not really care and almost told us to head back, if not for one of the tour guides who was around and offered to take us with him. We saw a few wild cats and a spider monkey. Overall we did have a good time relaxing at the pools after our day hikes and I learned to swim for the first time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rathdrum, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We loved staying here, the hot springs were to die for and the food was amazing. The only complaint I have is that it didn't really feel like you were in costa rica in the condos, it was very modern, but for some people that is what they want. I would absolutely recommend arenal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This was our 1st time in Costa Rica, What a beautiful country, its raw, authentic beautiful will captivate you.... We simply loved "The Springs" The Staff was very warm & attentive. I would highly recommend this resort... And when we return, We plan to stay at "The Springs" Again....

Enjoy,
RR

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here with our three kids for 3 nights and 2 days. The resort is beautiful and the kids enjoyed exploring the various pools and going down the waterslide. We used the hotel as a base and spent one day one a hike of the rainforest and one day white water rafting. We booked the tours through the hotel concierge, Johnny, who was very helpful with a number of requests. I also went with our oldest daughter on an ATV ride at the property. We had a junior suite which was big enough for us and our three kids. All of the rooms have a great view of the volcano. We had hoped to go on a lava tour at night, but were told when we arrived that there hasn't been lava for about six months. They have several dining options, all of which were good, but none of which was great. We highly recommend the property and would go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!