The Springs was the start of a 2 week vacation touring Costa Rica bouncing across the country. After my stay here I was REALLY worried that the rest of the trip, worries were unwarranted - all subsequent hotels were absolutely AWESOME (Arenas Del Mar and Finca Rosa Blanca).
The Good: Initial intro to the hotel - gorgeous views and property, room has a comfy bed, nice bathroom and SPECTACULAR view to the volcano. There are also feeders all over the property so you're guarnteed to see a huge number of birds and small mammals who come to feed.
The Meh: If you like natural springs (I do) go to Tabacon. The Springs is like Disney Land, manufactured nature with spring water pumped into artificial structures. It's pretty but...
The Ugly: The staff were just off (very apparent after staying at the other hotels) going through the motions out of due dilligence vs. any real enthusiasm. Out of three eateries only one was open during the stay - during one dinner the power went out and we ended up having dinner (mmmm steaks, fish and wine) in the dark with guests moving to other tables if you choose to do so. Breakfasts left much to be desired with the best food coming off resort. Good luck finding a Tico meal here.
Booked a few trips off campus and I figured this is the time where my passport was stolen from the room - after going out on an ATV/Caving tour (was a LOT of fun - do it if you're here or arrange through other hotels) and was heading out the next day. The next morning go to pick up my passport from the bedstand and it's gone... First time I don't put it in the lockbox (figured - good reviews, nice hotel and let my guard down). Anyhoo, commence the comedy of errors, even if I had the passport the concerige was 45 min off from when we needed to be at the airport/car ride over. Eventually we get agreement from hotel to pick up 100% of van ride to Arenas Del Mar which later went down to 50%.
Later on called to inquire about the passport and was given the old run around, passed onto 4+ people, etc., manager is not available. Finally I emailed the Springs when I get back Stateside which reached the Manager. He was very professional in handling the situation - covering a night of the stay to compensate for additional cost to get to Arenas Del Mar and magically the passport was found.
If you stay there, lock up your stuff or even better go to Tabacon instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park