I went to The Springs Resort and Spa in La Fortuna in June 2011 to celebrate my birthday. Although I was excited to check the place out after seeing it on The Bachelorette, the road leading into it is quite deceiving because it's very rough terrain, but then opens up to this beautiful resort!
The hotel is gorgeous. It's fairly modern, but a bit rustic, all wood, etc. It has an amazing view of La Fortuna and Arenal volcano. There are about 5 levels in the hotel, with things on each floor - restaurants, spa, gym, bar so be prepared to walk up and down a lot of stairs. However, if you wish, the hotel staff will drive you to and from your suite in a golf cart so that you can relax.
We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which is the same as the regular suite, only with your own hot springs hot tub. Pretty awesome! The room is very large with a lot of space to put your things, the bathroom is large, there is even enough space for 2 chairs in the room to lounge in. The patio looking at Arenal volcano is really lovely for both the view and there are 2 hammocks for your relaxing enjoyment!
There are 18 - yes 18! hot springs pools on the property. About half of them are up by the hotel and the others are down in the forest, complete with a water slide. The varying temperatures and minerals in each were very interesting and fun to experiment with! There is also a regular swimming pool, with a swim up bar for both drinks and food, which is handy when you're hungry but don't want to get out of the pool.
There were quite a few people staying in the hotel, but it never felt over crowded which was nice. You could really enjoy the experience without feeling like there were a lot of people around. And it IS an experience. That hotel is LUXURY in Costa Rica. It's beautiful, serene, relaxing, all of the services and amenities are top notch, the staff is great. The package came with a spa credit which we used for a couple's massage and it was wonderful!
Overall, it was an amazing weekend trip and I will stay there again any time I go back to Arenal for a visit. It's pricey, but well worth it!
The couple of disappointing things were that the volcano didn't erupt at all so no flaming red lava at night like I was hoping. However, I've been told that it's very inconsistent and there's no 'right' time to see it, you're lucky if you do, so I was expecting not to see it. The other thing was the kids. It's a very serene, romantic resort and screaming kids splashing in the pools and spas took a bit of the ambiance out of it. However, I wouldn't let that hinder anyone without children from going because it is so spacious there, you can be on your own a lot of the time in the springs pools, at a restaurant, in the spa, or your suite.
You really don't have to leave the resort for your whole stay! Lots to do, and the beauty of it all will make you not want to leave. Highly recommend!
- Also Known As:
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- The Springs Resort And Spa At Arenal Hotel
- The Springs Hotel
- The Springs Resort And Spa Costa Rica/Arenal Volcano National Park
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A world class luxury resort featuring spectacular Hot Springs, picture perfect views of the Arenal Volcano from every guest room and four restaurants including our famous Ginger Sushi Bar and Las Ventanas fine dining. Enjoy our 18 mineral-laden, artesian hot springs and our 14,000 square foot Spa and Fitness Center. On our exclusive 165 acre rain forest and riverfront property we offer horseback riding, river activities, ATV and hiking tours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Venere, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Springs Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.