“Best Mango's Flambe EVER” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Las Brasitas

Las Brasitas
150 m West to the Church, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
506-2479-9819
Website
Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Peace River, Canada
“Best Mango's Flambe EVER”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We just stumbled on this restaurant and ONLY had desser there.... the wait staff treated us very well and there were no Bananas for Bananas Flambe but he went to ask the chef who offered to make us Mangos Flambe so we went for it and it was soooo delicious. I am reading the reviews and surprised to hear what reviewers are saying? We didn't find it overpriced at all. We also enjoyed a hot chocolate and we shared both so it wasnt like we were spending a lot of money but the staff treated us very well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

58% Recommend
“Don't be desperate and go here. Listen to the reviews! I should have..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012 via mobile

Way overpriced. Steak not cooked medium rare even tho they offered it. Spent 60 bucks and left hungry! Very unsatisfying

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
La Fortuna
“Best food in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have to say my lunch today was THE BEST food I've eaten in Costa Rica, and I've lived here for five years. Make sure to go for the fajitas! And if it's the weekend, maybe chef Nerjel will concoct his amazing soap azteca (Aztec soup) for you. Luscious and filling. The wait staff was super friendly and respectful, and I enjoyed my meal in the lovely ambiance of this airy, open restaurant. By the way, they also serve pollo a la Lena (chicken cooked over a wood fire as opposed to by electric or gas), and this is, to my knowledge, the only place that offers this. I give it five stars . . . If you go, you won't be sorry.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Don't eat here!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Fodor's recommended this place, so we went for dinner. The food was awful and waaaay overpriced. I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wailea, Hawaii, United States
“Attempted to Rip me off on exchange rate and change...Stay Clear”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Just finished dining at this restaurant. I have to agree with several of the other posters that from the street, the place is very inviting. Throughout the meal, the service was fine, food was mediocre, but we didn't arrive expecting Wolfgang Puck. Time for the cuenta and it arrives at 37,200 colonies. I pay with a $100 bill. Bank Exchange rate is 503 to the dollar or 50300, but the restaurant is exchanging at 490 or 49000, which is expected. The waiter brings me change from the cashier (whom I'm assuming is the owner/manager...a woman in her 60's) with a $20 bill. At their exchange rate, the 20 bill is 9800 colonies. Subtract 49000-37200 and you get 11800 colonies...thus on top of the exchange rate, the cashier tried to slide a $4 or 2000 extra profit out of the deal.
I lived in Costa Rica for 7 years, my wife is Costa Rican, I was dining with her Costa Rican family, I speak extremely fluent spanish, to the extent of local slang, and believe me, this was not a mathematical mistake. This was a straight up attempt to rob a stupid gringo out of 2000 colonies. Believe me when I tell you that this is how I was viewed. This place does not deserve the business of any other tourist or costa rican local for that matter. Please Stay Clear of this place and enjoy your time in Costa Rica. It is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Fly the Bird at Las Brasitas as you cruise by:)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere