“My favorite Costa Rican Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal Corin

You added Hotel Royal Corin to your Saves list
Hotel Royal Corin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4,2 Km West of Catholic Church | on Road to Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
$231 (USD)
Sydney, Australia
“My favorite Costa Rican Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

After wanting to visit Costa Rica for 10 years, I finally made it this September. I arrived at Royal Corin in the pouring rain, and it was wonderful to find myself in such a luxurious place. I ended up with a wonderful room, the views of the volcano and hot springs were amazing. Herman at the front desk took care of all my needs, and personally made my stay a roaring success. He quickly and efficiently arranged all the tours I wanted, without which I might have missed the experiences I went there for. What a pleasure it was to have the hot spring pools right there to dip in any spare moments between tours, without having to travel outside the hotel to enjoy them. I had not planned on getting a massage in the spa, but so glad I did. I get massages all over the world, and never know what to expect - they can range from great to horrible. I was lucky enough to have Carolina, who gave me the best massage I'd had in years! When I arrived I was in a lot of pain and walking slowly - when I left I was free of pain and walking well. She was awesome! The restaurant and bar staff seemed to be on Tico time, but that was minor. I will definitely stay at Royal Corin on all my following pleasure trips to CR!

Room Tip: I didn't have time to try the fitness center so couldn't rate it. All rooms have a view of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Roy C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal Corin, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Janet N:

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our comfortable facilities as well as service and constant concern of our staff for your comfort. Especially, thank you for having chosen our hotel as a travel destination and we hope that on your next visit to the area, have your visit again to offer you our services.

Roy Cerdas
Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The second day of our stay we went to the Spa to get a massage. At the end of the massage my mother got trapped in the bathroom because the door knob got broken. The hotel staff was very nice and they seemed truly worried about the situation. One hour later (my mother was still trapped in the unventilated, small and hot bathroom) the manager came and reprimanded one employee that was trying to help because he was damaging the broken door knob!! What is more important, at trapped guest or a door knob?

After a long wait, and my mother desperate inside, one employee had to climb to the roof, get inside the small bathroom and disarm the door from the inside. As soon as my mother was freed we were anxious to get out of that place. At our check out the manager was very rude to us and charged us the room and massage. At this time, a week later, we have not gotten any refund or apology.

Also, the air conditioner at my parent's room did not work since the first day. We reported it and someone came to fix it without success. Again, we did not get a discount, room change or apology for this.

Apart from that, the staff (except for the manager off course) was very kind and friendly.

I stayed at this hotel on September 14th, 2013 with my family. Reservation #19751, we got 3 rooms for 7 adults.

I definitively don’t recommend this place. Please don’t stay here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Roy C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal Corin, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Due the situation the Manager on Duty, took the solution that was the response that he consider to be most effective and efficient, unfortunately any mechanism is exposed to fail or be damaged. Referring to do not make any charge per stay and service, it was a decision that is not taken on the basis of the situation, however was granted a late checkout of the rooms. We regret that this has caused a great displeasure and we offer you our apologies.
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed there for nine nights. The rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was great, they were very helpful in finding activities for me to do and giving directions to attractions in the area. The issue was the bartender at the pool bar was very slow and more interested in his phone. The location is very good, a lot of things to do nearby and the views of the volcano are second to none. The restaurant was very good and the free breakfast was also very nice. Overall a great hotel and I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Corin for 2 nights on our 7 night visit to Costa Rica.

The Good: the rooms are very nice, the usual amount of spaciousness, a very nice shower with 3 different settings (an overhead rain shower, a removable shower head and multi spray shower coming out of 6 small jets/sprays from the wall (a word of caution, our shower leeked a bit under the door). We were greeted with a very refreshing cocktail at check in. They have excellent free wifi. The heated by hot springs pools were very nice after a day of exploring. Every night a knock on the door around 5:30 would bring a pleasant small sweet delight. Not only was our room made everyday but they actually change the sheets every day! Complimentary bfast was good. Happy hour from 6-8, 2 for 1 drinks, any drinks you like. Dinner in the restaurant was good (I would say on par with dinner that we had at Don Rufinos). Amazing views of the Arenal Volcano. Extremely nice staff ( the grounds keeper who speaks zero English pointed out one of the many iguanas on the property "Evita". When Evita would not stop for pictures he went inside and came back with a banana to feed her so she would stay put for photos, very special).

Cons: our room was smelly. Very smelly. It could be because the air was turned off prior to our arrival due to low season but it stunk. We aired out the room and turned on the air but after 2 days it still slightly smells. I recommend bringing fabreeze or Lysol or a candle. It's really unfortunate that it was so smelly.

In our 2 days we journeyed to La Fortuna waterfall, did the sky trek zip line, ate at the hotel restaurant, ate at Don Rufino (we tried to have dinner at Benedictus because of the great reviews but they're closed until November 1st, boo.

I will write a review of Don Rufino separately but in a nutshell it was good, not great, also not too too pricey.

Also the zip line was awesome! We also signed up for the sky walk but we cancelled due to extremely heavy rain.

The fortuna waterfall is amazing! A rough walk down about 1/3 of a mile worth of steps leads to a gorgeous waterfall and a nice cool pool for swimming ( not directly under the falls it's actually very dangerous). The walk up is a doozy too. $10 for entry to the falls, a must see if your legs can make the trek.

We loved la fortuna, it was an amazing part of our vacation. We also spent time in Playa Hermosa and Manuel Antonio National Park, I'll review these places separately.

A fantastic vacation

• Stayed September 2013
Roy C, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal Corin, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thanks for your comment, we are pleased to know that your stay was generally pleasant. Usually at this time of the year for being rainy season humidity increases and is a bit difficult to control it. We will try to improve this aspect for future customers.
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Hotel and view are lovely- pools lovely although some pool areas are in disrepair. Staff very friendly except at pool side bar compared to remaining staff. Rooms great clean!- small issues with maintenance for lighting in shower stall and bathroom. Overall wonderful

• Stayed September 2013
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Clean, well appointed Luxury Hotel. Amenities, particularly the hot-springs, services and personnel were very good and responsive. Rooms are very good and clean. Security and restaurant food was good and service was very good. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor was very good, connectivity was very good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a great stay - hotel is beautiful and the view is unbelievable! There was great access to all kinds of tours and adventures for exploring - hotel would set it up so everything was easy. Spa was spectacular so I went a couple of times. :-) Going into town is a quick trip if you want to do some souvenir shopping or get a bite to eat. Don Ruffino's was AMAZING for dinner - highly recommend it!!! Overall a fantastic place to stay and I would recommend it to all my friends.. Only disappointment was the food. It was quite expensive considering that it was fairly average quality and the dishes weren't that exciting. Maybe because we were there off-season? Nonetheless, still a great place to go!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great because they all face the volcano!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Royal Corin? Share your experiences!