“Lovely hotel, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal Corin

Save Saved
You added Hotel Royal Corin to your Saves list
Hotel Royal Corin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4,2 Km West of Catholic Church | on Road to Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Special Price
50% DISCOUNT RACK RATE
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This review is a bit overdue as we were in La Fortuna in Sept/Oct 2009. We loved this hotel! We were greeted with a cocktail and hand towel upon arrival and the staff were very welcoming. The hotel is gated so you know you're safe (even though you pretty much feel safe everywhere in Costa Rica anyways). We loved the contemporary decor of the hotel and it looked fairly new and always clean. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was fantastic - it was like a spa shower! It was spacious and had one of those showerheads mounted at the top with various settings! We dinned in the restaurant and really enjoyed the food. The hotel breakfast was abundant and the fruits were so fresh! Pool and grounds were beautiful. The location: it was not really close to anything but a lot of the nice hotels are like this in this area. Royal Corin is on a street that a lot of hotels are located (but they are not side by side as the properties are large and separated by empty land). We found that the location didn't make a huge difference in this area because all tour companies pick you up at the hotel anyways. We did go into town a few times and took a cab which was reasonably priced - it was about 5 to 10 minutes out, depending on where you go.
German, at the front desk, was very helpful in giving us local advice and suggestions for activities, which they also book for you.
We loved this hotel and would highly recommend it. We would stay here again if we're back in La Fortuna!

Room Tip: We found that the standard room was plenty for the two of us.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Saint Johns, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We enjoyed the views from both sides of the hotel and used the hotel as our base for zip lining and canyoning. If the volcano has still been active, this would have been an ideal location. We has superb views of the volcano even from our bed. Breakfast wast great. Dinner was ok but a the menu selection were some what limited.

If you are most interested in nature I would recomend staying in the observatory. The La Fortuna sidie of the mountain is much more developed for farm land. The observatory side is covered in tropical forrect. Royal Corin is on the road haeding to the park. So it's closer than than the hotels in town.

Despite the comparative lack of forrest, staying at Royal Corin is all most like being in an aviary. You wake up to birds singing and see them all aournd from you balcony in the front or in the back. The first day I thought a large moth had flown in to the lobby but then I realised it was a humming bird.

Royal Corin is a very good place for families to stay. It is much like staying in a nice chain hotel in the states. It's clean, modern and has nice decore.

By the way, the wireless internet is limited to the lobby and the Lava Lounge the top of the hotel. If you bring a laptop, you can use an ethernet cable in the room to connect. We were using and Ipod touch. So this was not an option for us.

Room Tip: Great views. Like staying in a nice US hotel. Doesn't have Costa Rican character or history like...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

My girlfriend and I started our week trip to Costa Rica with a 2 night stay at Hotel Royal Corin. This wasn't just any romantic getaway, this was the trip I asked my girlfriend to marry me. I wanted everything to be perfect, and the Royal Corin delivered.

I started our week long getaway with 2 nights at Hotel Royal Corin. Prior to our arrival, I was able to book a taxi from SJO to the hotel. I emailed the hotel several days before our arrival and the staff quickly confirmed our reservation and even provided his contact information in the even we were delayed. The driver was on time and met us outside baggage claim. He even stopped during the trip for us to take pictures of a sloth, and to get a snack.

When we arrived at the hotel, we received a welcome drink, received our keys and were provided with a list of activities over our 3 day stay. The staff was extremely helpful with all of our needs.

The rooms were very nice - very comfortable beds, tile floors, air conditioning and great views overlooking the pool and the volcano. There was a safe in each room to lock up our valuables, and the TV was equipped with cable tv (however there were few channels in English).

One night a bad thunderstorm came through and knocked out power to hotel and the entire town for 3 hours. Everyone remained calm and just enjoyed the quiet out on the patio where there were emergency lights.

The pool area was very nice and clean, although we thought several of the pools were far too hot. We liked that there were several small pools that gave the area a more romantic feeling.

The food was at the hotel was very good. The breakfast buffet was full of traditional Costa Rican items, including fresh fruit, black beans and rice, eggs, etc. We looked forward to the buffet each morning to start our day off right! We had dinner at the restaurant one night - both of us had the beef tenderloin and were very impressed with the quality.
We highly recommend the safari float tour - we saw all kinds of reptiles, rare birds, a small alligator, two-toed sloth and a family of monkeys!

We also took a cab over to the La Fortuna waterfall. Although it is a steep hike up and down the mountain, the views were amazing and worth the work out. The workers at the front entrance to the waterfall were kind enough to call a cab for us to take us back to the hotel; we just had to wait about 20 minutes for the cab to pick us up.

All in all, I though the Hotel Royal Corin was a great value, close proximity to many downtown La Fortuna (just a few minute cab ride) and many activities, and allowed us to relax as we started our trek around Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights. Our teens had a separate room (2 queens) that was a bit nicer than ours (1 king). We had a problem with the air conditioning in our room and they did fix it but after a day it got warm again.
Overall I like the hotel. I thought it was clean and the service was very good. The hot springs were great in the evenings- not a lot of people using them while we were there and the included breakfast was very good. We did eat in the dining room the first night and it was very good as well.
We did have an issue with the internet connection. They provide a cable so you can connect a laptop in your room but the only wireless for our ipad was in the lobby and according to my teen daughter that was very sketchy. They did have 2 computers in the lobby for guest use but often there were long waits for those.
This hotel was very close ( 5 min) to La Fortuna so it was easy to go in for meals, snacks shopping etc. We had a car but a taxi would not cost much. We were able to walk to Benedictus Steak House which was right next door and was very good.
I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Avenel, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I read all the other reviews before I wrote mine, because I didn't want to seem unfair. After reading some of them, I am not sure if most of the people stayed at other hotels in Costa Rica. I did & I compared the 2 hotels staff & atmosphere. If you want a 5 star hotel that is "uptight & unfriendly, then stay at Corin. Don't get me wrong, it is not every employee at Corin that makes you feel unwelcomed, but there were a few. Specifically Julio behind the front desk. Every time I asked a question, he answered very blunt & was not helpful. His answers were short & made me feel like I could not be free to ask my questions. You don't want to feel like that when your on vacation.
During breakfast the waiter went to every other table, but mine to offer coffee/juice. I literally got up myself & got my own coffee in this "five-star hotel". Never again will I go back or recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Costa Rica. I had to ask them to send an iron to the room which had a crack in the base, so the water kept leaking out. I was so frustrated at this point, I didn't ask for another.
There was also another man at the front desk complaining about his stay, so I was not the only one.
The hotel itself is beautiful & very modern, but again the atmosphere is nothing compared to Hotel Parador in Manuel Antonio. Hotel Parador could give this 5 star hotel a lesson in treating their customers.
Not only am I writing this review, I am sending an email to the manager of the hotel about my experience. Let's see if he responds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Locals consider this property small. We loved it. Do all of your travel adventures through the hotel. We got a travel company who charged us more than hotel. Close to many activities. No night life which is fine with me. Springs open until 10 pm. Free breakfast begins at 6:30 am and was always excellent. Place was immaculate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cartago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed at the Royal Corin to celebrate our first marriage anniversary. They have the 5 star hotel sign at the lobby and let me tell you: these guys really know how to give a 5 star treatment to their guests.
Every single employee we talked to was extremely kind, no matter if you are Costa Rican (we are) or if you are from other countries.
Welcome cocktail right after we set a foot on the lobby. Warm and professional lobby personnel. The hotel itself: Flawless, beautiful, clean, luxurious. We stayed at a master suite, it was simply breath taking.
We had our meals at its Emperador restaurant. The food was simply perfect, big portions of state of the art cuisine. Our waiter asked us the first night what the reason of our stay was? We told him we were celebrating our first anniversary, he congratulated us and continued giving us a great service. We went to our room after dinner, and 5 minutes later there was another waiter knocking at our door, to give us an imported bottle of champagne, courtesy of the house to celebrate our anniversary.... how is that for a surprise? And how is that for a staff that pays attention to the smallest details? The thermal pool was extremely relaxing, room service was quick and perfect, they knock on your door at least once a day to give you complimentary snacks, courtesy of the house. Anyway I could continue writing for hours, but I'll just finish saying this: The only problem the Royal Corin has, is the check out, because you are so in love with the place already, so you simply can't leave.

Room Tip: Master Suites are breath taking.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Royal Corin? Share your experiences!