“Beautiful setting, very nice cabins.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Luna Nueva Lodge

You added Finca Luna Nueva Lodge to your Saves list
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   San Isidro de Penas Blancas, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 158-4400, Costa Rica   |
“Beautiful setting, very nice cabins.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Our family stayed at Finca Luna Nueva Lodge for three nights over Christmas 2012. What a gorgeous view we had from our cabin! We had a couple of rocking chairs on our porch to relax and admire the lush plants and wildlife. Our cabin was just a short walk to the hot tub and meals and not far to the reception area. This place is paradise for walkers; lots of hiking trails to take by yourself or with the option of a guide. I loved the fact that rubber boots are lent out for walking through the rainforest. Ishmael was a wealth of information on the farm tour, I only wish I had brought something to take notes with. My kids appreciated the wi-fi and I appreciated the lack of media. As for the food, I was impressed with the first dinner, and although the meals were different every night, they were not exceptional. I was hoping to have something savory or unusual or even a luscious dessert for Christmas dinner, but that did not happen. Yes, all the information we read said the roads are not great so we knew in advance to get a SUV. That being said, we never did have to engage the four wheel drive. We appreciated the retreat to FLN after spending most of the day in La Fortuna seeking exciting adventures. The hot tub was a nice way to wind down at the end of the day.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alejandra Q, Hotel Manager at Finca Luna Nueva Lodge, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello Roz M,

Thank you for telling us about your experience with us on TripAdvisor. It helps us a lot to improve our services.

We appreciate your observation about the food. I like to tell you that we are working in new menus just for the breakfast time and since March 2013 we have menu a la carte for lunch and dinner with more option for ours guest.

We are appreciate that you said “Finca Luna Nueva was the most unique experience that you ever had” It's a great way to spend your vacation in Costa Rica near the Arenal Volcano! We're glad you liked Ismael - he works hard and we are very proud of him.

Best Regards
Alejandra Quirós Rojas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

What a cool find! Unique opportunity to stay on an organic farm and see everything in its natural environment. The facilities are beautiful, clean, and provide everything you need for a comfortable stay. The restaurant has delicious food, breakfast included in price, and many items are directly from the farm.

Nearby are awesome activities: Tabacon Hot Springs, Hanging Bridges, hiking. All within an easy drive.

Recommend going to Tabacon Hot Springs, worth the extra money for beautiful pools, waterfalls, and lounge areas. Walk the Hanging Bridges without a guide: easy and you can see everything on your own.

We stayed two nights, which was a great to see the area, tour the farm, eat wonderful food, and try some of the activities. Highly recommend this!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamston, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I spent our 1st 3 nights at Finca Luna and loved it! Couple of hours from airport. Not easy to find at night, but thanks to a friend that met us at airport led us there. We would still be looking for it had he not shown us(ha ha)We rented a 4x4 for our trip. The road to the lodge is off the beaten path and rough, but loved the remoteness. Beautiful property,plants, flowers,birds,sloth gave us plenty of picture taking opportunities.Was wonderful to wake early to the sounds of nature each morning. What a great way to have your first cup of coffee.Breakfast was filling to say the least. Food was freshly prepared and delicious.Hot tub was wonderful to partake in after a grueling drive down to El Castillo(rough) and running into a huge bicycle race around Lake Arenal. We took 2 tours with Ismael one of the farm and one at night. He is very knowlegeable in what he does.Rooms in main lodge were large and sweetly decorated with towel animals each day. Plenty of hot water on demand. Hammock outside our room was relaxing.Beds were comfortable and large. All the staff went out of their way to accomadate our needs even making me a special ginger tea grown there to help with a cold I was getting. Thanks to Ismael again for informing us of a wonderful butterfly farm just west of Tanque. Lots of birds feeding right out my husbands hand. Got to see the bluejean dart frog.Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in main lodge big enough to sleep 3 people
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed three nights at Finca Luna Nueva in March 2012. We had a truly awesome time there. The room was beautiful - we were in one of the buildings that was farther away from the main lodge, and everything was new and gorgeous wood and the bed was comfortable and there were always fresh flowers in the rooms and hammocks to lie on outside. The best part was being on the farm and in the jungle - we did a number of hikes around the property, including a night hike which was really cool. The food was amazing - so fresh and healthy and delicious. Our favorite guide was Ismael, he was super informative and friendly and helped us spot a lot of wildlife and understand how the farm works. I would definitely recommend and go back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Morristown, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We drove (5 hours) from Liberia to explore the Arenal area. Finca Luna Nueva Lodge was our base. The lodge is about a 1/2 drive south from La Fortuna. It feels very remote - and reminded me of summer camp as a kid (except for it is much more exotic). The accomodations are relatively basic & rustic (stayed in a bungalow).

The pool was refreshing and clean.

The food is grown right on the property, relatively simple & pure.

What makes this Eco-Lodge so special is the people & the connection to earth. You feel absolutely grounded & alive while you are there. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

A special thank you to Ismael on the Farm tour, he is very friendly & knowledgeable! Also, thank you to Marisa at the front desk. And Olga, thank you for arranging yoga for us - our class was so grounding and enjoyable.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you are looking for typical American hotel lodging, don't stay here. If you are looking for a beautiful, unique rainforest experience, however, don't miss Luna Nueva! I have stayed at Finca Luna Nueva twice--once with my mother and teenage daughter and most recently with 3 women clients who I took as part of a holistic wellness program. My stay was for 3 nights both times. Casa Luna And Casa Sombra both offer nice eco lodge rooms--pleasant, clean, and rustic, and make you feel like you are in a giant treehouse. I strongly recommend a nap in a hammock. Toucans and hummingbirds make regular stops in nearby trees, and you may spot the occasional monkey or sloth. As far as the comments about noise, I would say that Casa Sombra and some of the individual cabins are located further away from the hustle and bustle, and might offer more evening silence, but the trade off is a longer walk to WiFi access, pool, and dining--depends on your priorities. The food is prepared with fresh, seasonal ingredients, many of which are produced on the property. There is plenty to choose from, and meals almost always offer something new to try. Since ginger and turmeric are the primary "crops" grown at Luna Nueva, many recipes feature these two super foods. The demand for their cookbook indicates that most people love the meals served at Luna Nueva. The various farm tours are interesting and educational. Steven Farrell is an amazingly knowledgeable resource and his tours are not to be missed. I would say he is the college professor you always wished you would have had. Exceptionally high praise for Ismael and his tours, as well. His passion for the preservation of the rainforest is contagious, and his friendly manner makes for an especially fun learning experience. After experiencing a rain forest tour somewhere else, my clients' comments were unanimously, "after Ismael, no one else can measure up." I have been on every tour offered, and will probably repeat most, if not all of them in the future. Everyone at Luna Nueva goes out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The pool is great, as is the chemical free hot tub. There is a peaceful yoga studio located out of the way that offers the perfect yoga environment. Massage therapist, Kinga, is amazing, and will leave you wishing you could have a massage every day. The best thing I can offer to anyone considering a visit to Luna Nueva is this: my clients were all new to eco travel and we visited several places during our stay in Costa Rica. Luna Nueva headed their list of "must go" places. I am a single middle aged woman and would be very comfortable staying there alone. FYI: I suspect a 4 wheel drive might be necessary during rainy season, but my small rental car has easily gotten me there during my past two dry season visits. I would call the lodge to confirm if in doubt.

Room Tip: Individual private cabins offer privacy and quiet. Family cabins are more accessible for kids and a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Spent 4 nights here in Jan 2013. Our cabin was rustic but comfortable and adjacent to primary rainforest. We appreciated the in-room coffee! Our night rainforest hike was quite amazing and Ismael, our guide, was astoundingly knowledgable. We also enjoyed the farm tour and medicinal plant tour. All the staff were friendly and we enjoyed the delicious and healthy restaurant meals with much of the food grown or raised on site. Had a lot of fun creating pizzas for the wood oven one night. It is about 25 minutes from La Fortuna so tours with Dafasio cost a bit extra for pick-up and drop off (I believe $20 pp). We viewed lots of birds and wildlife here. Enjoyed a massage as well. This is a great spot to relax, explore and just chill in the rainforest.

Room Tip: the cabins are somewhat rustic but quiet and pretty much in or adjacent to the rainforest.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Finca Luna Nueva Lodge? Share your experiences!