“Beautiful accomadations in a great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Finca Luna Nueva Lodge

Save Saved
You added Finca Luna Nueva Lodge to your Saves list
Finca Luna Nueva Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   San Isidro de Penas Blancas, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park 158-4400, Costa Rica   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful accomadations in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a beautiful resort that is well situated for visits to the rainforest, Mt. Arenal and a wide range of outdoor activities. Rooms are private even in the multi-unit buildings; simple, but tasteful and well appointed; and are designed to let you experience the beauty of the rainforest. Food is wonderful using many ingredients from the's resort working, organic farm. Hosts will help you find the right activities and vendors for what you want to do. I was there for a meeting during the rainy season. Our group of about 30 people met on a large, outdoor veranda with a large overhanging roof. The experience of sitting outdoors while the rain poured down a couple of hours each day was wonderful. All in all, a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
FincaLunaNueva, Manager at Finca Luna Nueva Lodge, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello Valerie,

We really appreciate your kind words.

We do our best every day to provide our guests a home experience. Hope you feel like that.

Looking forward to see you again.

Warmest regards!

Luna Nueva Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ciudad Quesada, San Carlos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I visited Luna Nueva. last week. and i found in love of this amazing hideaway. i love yoga, but this has been the best place to conect whit your chakras. delicious food. great staff. very original Tea tour.

I recomended the room number 10 it has a amazing view of the forest.

very romantic.

I appreciate the help of Alejandra and trisha whom make my stay very enjoyable.

Room Tip: I recomended the room number 10 it has a amazing view of the forest.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Amazing place, very relaxing! the night tour is the best, you get to feel nature, and enjoy the sounds of the forest! The food is impressible good, and healthy. thank you to all the staff for great attention! I will be back for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'll start with the positive. The property is beautiful. Beautiful wildlife, fauna, buildings and rooms. The pool is very relaxing. The staff is absolutely fantastic. Very attentive and very friendly. The on-site tours are great, especially the night tour with Ismael. The on site interns are great. Very knowledgeable and really care about what they are doing on the property.

On to the negative. Most of these things are minor, but were somewhat of a nuisance. The walk to the building where the rooms are is quite a hike from the main property area. While walking isn't bad, after a long day of hiking elsewhere the last thing you want is a 5-10 minute walk to your room. The food was way overpriced for what it was. I understand the whole healthy and homegrown mentality of the property, but for $17 a plate, I was unimpressed. You can go into town (Fortuna) and get a much better, tastier meal for a lot less. This leads me to my next point. Getting into town is quite an adventure. It was $30 each way to get to town and back. My suggestion would be to find a tour that has pickup/drop off included. The location of this place was very inconvenient. However, the staff is great at finding transportation for you.

The most negative part of my experience at Finca Luna was a lady who must be in charge of the property's marketing,advertising or PR of some sort. During our stay, she was hosting a journalist from the Tico Times. This PR lady had to be one of the most pretentious people I have ever come across. First of all, she never once greeted us to ask about our stay, or even for a friendly hello. And, there were plenty of opportunities. In the common areas of the property, she made sure everyone heard her conversations about how great her lifestyle choices are. This came across as very pretentious,fake,attention seeking to my wife and me. We were highly put off by her behavior. It almost made you feel inferior to her superiority. I also found it contradictory how their (the property) practices were all about purity,health and giving back to the earth, when they're biggest buyer is P&G.

Sadly, this lady had a very negative effect on my trip. Which is terrible, because the staff and property are amazing. Stay here if you'd like a secluded weekend from everything. Hopefully you won't run across this lady. Bring money if you plan on going into town. Enjoy, if you chose to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the main/common area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
FincaLunaNueva, Propietario at Finca Luna Nueva Lodge, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
"We are very sorry that this guest’s experience was not all they had hoped for. Part of the attraction of our eco-lodge is that it is approximately thirty-minutes from the noise and activity of the city. We often have guests who come, even for extended periods of time, and never venture off the property because they are happy to bask in the surrounding nature and experience something totally different from their normal urban lifestyles. Our meals are "slow food" expressions of the fruits and greens from our farm. We try to honor local ingredients, and we are different from restaurant food. As for the comments regarding our PR person, we believe that this was an unfortunate misperception of the PR person’s enthusiasm and love for Finca Luna Nueva and the Pura Vida lifestyle. She's really a caring and wonderful person - it's our hope that this guest will give her a second chance to connect. Finally, Finca Luna Nueva is privately owned and operated by committed organic farmers, and the comment about P&G is inaccurate."
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

To those who want to experience the true luxuries of Costa Rica- this is a well coveted and hidden gem. An experience that envelops you in nature, comfortable accommodation, organic food grown on-site and a tour through biodynamic gardens that blew my mind. Trails to hike as far as the eyes can see - all the amenities i needed for comfort and a natural experience that i'll never forget. The owners are such pleasant people with a love for sharing this special place. I learned so much, i relaxed and got real rest, i explored and had many laughs with the guests there. All around amazing and i've been all over Costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Takoma Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I visited this lovely spot in September, 2012 and enjoyed every aspect of my trip. This farm is preserving sacred and native seeds and plants and unlike many lodges, Finca Luna Nueva has a true mission in the world. But it also offers a peaceful and restorative setting for those seeking the beauty of a rainforest. I enjoyed the simple but beautiful lodging, the open air eating and meeting spaces, the lovely pool and hot tub, the pathways lined with lush plants, and the early morning sounds of howler monkeys and migrating song birds. The staff is fantastic and helpful. It is very easy to arrange trips and I took an exciting river rafting trip and another outing to a set of swinging bridges placed in the canopy of the rainforest. I also saw the stunning Arenal Volcano - all within a half hour of the lodge. You cannot go wrong with this place - great location, great people, perfect setting, and you'll be supporting a visionary farm that is working to protect the plants and species of the rainforest.

Room Tip: There are a variety of lodging options. I didn't see anything that looked sub par. I enjoyed c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

You won't want to go home. This is the land that James Cameron must have visited before conjuring his "Floating Mountains of Pandora." It is spectacular everywhere, birds, frogs, massive trees, primeval forests, sounds from the dawn of time. All the while you are tucked in to the most lovely and comfortable setting, adjacent to a biodynamic farm (that's organic turned up to eleven) and the world's greatest medicinal herb garden. The staff is wonderful and the guides in Costa Rica have degrees in their knowledge of the flora and fauna and a love of teaching it to you. The food is fresh, local, generously supplied and healthy enough to be a fountain of youth elixir. I am going back and soon. If I ever become an expat it won't be just that I am in Costa Rica. I will be living at the Finca Luna Nueva Lodge in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Stayed in my own cabin. Totally delightful. It had a wonderful deck looking over the rainforest.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Finca Luna Nueva Lodge? Share your experiences!