“Favorite place we have ever stayed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cerro Azul Arenal

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel Cerro Azul Arenal
1 km sur y 600 m oeste de la iglesia Catolica de La Fortuna, sobre la entrada principal de La Catarata. | 600 meters west from the road entrance to La Fortuna Waterfall, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica   |
Fresno, California
“Favorite place we have ever stayed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This place was perfect for us. We visited Arenal with our three small children, and the separate cabins were perfect. Management was always very helpful: getting us taxis into town, recommending age appropriate activities in the area, and taking care of anything that arose. The location was great, being a 3 dollar taxi ride away from La Fortuna. The waterfall was a 7 dollar taxi ride away. It is also a short walk from a chocolate tour which we didn't have time to do. The flowers and trees on the property were beautiful. Not many bugs for a location right next to fields and a short walk to the river. There were butterflies and humming birds all around every day, and we even saw some toucans and other exotic birds. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow on either end of the row. #1 or #5. We loved # 1!!!

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Loveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

we stayed for 3 nights. cabins were very charming. great waking up to hummingbirds. both Tatiana and Alvaro were great. very close to La Fortuna, Arenal volcano, hot springs, La Fortuna waterfall and Cerro Cheto

Room Tip: pay with cash. get discount
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We just had one night in La Fortuna and this place was perfect. The rooms are very basic but comfortable and clean. The porches are the place to be with a lovely hammock on the back porch to listen to and watch the wildlife. The front porches have nice views of the volcano. We didn't have the breakfast as we had an early pick up so can't comment on that. But the owners were so friendly and helpful. A real gem. And if you do stay here, be sure to check out the souvenir store next door. Really, really nice wood work at fantastic prices with the family living in the back. Another small, family run business. And take the chocolate tour town the street. Lots of fun!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here with my young daughter for several days. We had not planned on traveling to this area and were both feeling tired on a mid-trip lull, yet the family members who run Cerro Azul were extremely patient and helpful. Tatiana made numerous calls to check on transportation options and activities and everyone made helpful suggestions on the best places to go.

The rooms are spotless and beautiful and open in the back to chairs, a table, and

I will say that this is a 20 minute walk from town and it gets very hot for that walk so this place is perfect if you have a car or are ok with taxis that add up a little after a few days going back and forth ($3-4 each way) or to other locations ($20 each way to some places you may want to see). This is the place for people who would like to be a few minutes away from town in a peaceful and quiet space.

I highly recommend Cerro Azul and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014
Harlingen, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul for three nights in June 2014 as part of a larger trip to Costa Rica. The very high TripAdvisor ranking of the hotel among hotels in the La Fortuna area and the large quantity of very positive reviews from former guests were the deciding factors in me choosing this hotel for my brief stay in La Fortuna.

Making a reservation was relatively easy, with my e-mails answered typically within a few hours by Tatiana, the daughter of the Aragon Family. Upon providing my credit card details to secure my reservation, Tatiana sent me a reservation confirmation, which listed my arrival and departure dates, number of nights, daily rate, number of guests, and total amount which included tax. At my request, Tatiana contacted Interbus on my behalf and made reservations for a transfer from San Jose to La Fortuna and La Fortuna to the airport. Tatiana then e-mailed me the details of these reservations, including confirmation number and pick-up times.

Upon arriving at Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul, I met Tatiana, was given a welcome beverage (cold pineapple juice), and shown to my private cabin (#1). Afterwards, Tatiana and I discussed my plans for the La Fortuna area, and she provided information regarding visiting the La Fortuna waterfall, the Arenal Volcano National Park, and the Tenorio Volcano National Park. At my request, she contacted a tour company and made a reservation on my behalf to visit the Tenorio Volcano National Park after we discussed the details of this tour (cost, length, etc).

The bathroom of my cabin featured ample but variable hot water and good water pressure in the shower and clean towels of good quality. A large soap dispenser was positioned above the sink and in the shower. A small security safe was mounted on shelving, and the entire bathroom was very clean throughout.

The bedroom of the cabin featured two full-size beds, both with great sheets and big, fluffy pillows. The mattresses of both beds were a little broken down (especially on the edges) due to sleeping and sitting by former guests. The wall-mounted air conditioning unit was very effective in cooling the bedroom and the entire cabin in general. Satellite television was provided with most channels in spanish and a few (BBC) in english. A mini-fridge and coffee maker was also provided. Similar to the bathroom, the bedroom was very clean.

The front porch of the cabin had two wooden chairs for sitting, while the back porch had a small table and chairs and hammock. Both porches were well-lit when you flipped the appropriate switches inside the cabin.

In the mornings, I was given a choice of the Americano breakfast or the Tipico breakfast. And each morning, I chose the Tipico: a fried egg, gallo pinto, fried plantains, toast, sliced fruit (watermelon, pineapple), juice, and coffee. Breakfast was served at the picnic tables on the front porch of the yellow Aragon Family house across the street from the hotel, and was an extra $7 per day (VERY worth it). The front yard of the house, and the hotel property itself, contains many flowering trees and bushes, and it was a pleasure to eat breakfast on the front porch and watch the many hummingbirds flit from flower to flower in the cool mornings. I also saw and heard several toucans in a tall tree about 300 feet from the hotel in the early mornings and evenings, and even heard a Howler monkey early one morning.

The hotel has WiFi, and Tatiana was gracious enough to let me borrow her laptop for a few minutes each day so I could stay in contact with family back in the United States.

Beer and water are available for purchase, and the front desk contains many tour brochures for white water rafting, canyoning, ziplining, and several other activities.

The hotel is located on the same road as the La Fortuna waterfall, with the Chocolate Tour site located only a few steps away from the hotel. From the hotel to the edge of La Fortuna is a 25-minute walk, with a much quicker ride in a taxi between $3 and $4, depending on where you were heading in town.

Tatiana and her father were very gracious about calling a taxi for me whenever I needed one. The hotel's semi-exclusive taxi driver, Warner, spoke spanish (I do, a little) and was very knowledgeable about the major tourist attractions (natural and man-made) in the area.

At check-out, I received a 6% discount on the room and breakfasts for paying in cash. It was during the check-out that I also paid for the Interbus transfers and the tour to Tenorio Volcano National Park. Tatiana never asked for money up front before making reservations for the transfers and tour.

The aspect of the hotel that I really liked is that it is a family-owned-and-operated business. All of the money spent on rooms and breakfasts at Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul stays in La Fortuna and is not sent off to a big company in San Jose or another part of Costa Rica. Because of this, Tatiana and the Aragon Family are currently building a sixth cabin (there are five right now) with plans to build up to four more cabins and even a restaurant on-site.

If you're looking for an economical stay in the La Fortuna area at a great family-run hotel, I highly recommend Hotel Rancho Cerro Azul.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had the perfect stay at Hotel Cerro Azul! We loved our cabin in the jungle, it was secluded, quiet, quaint, and romantic! Also, the family was so kind and accommodating. The rooms were very clean and the perfect size. We loved watching all the animals on the porch, we saw hummingbirds, butterflies, horses, and beautiful birds! We could've stayed on the porch all day! The breakfast that they cooked at their house was delicious, one of the best Gallo Pinto's I have had in Costa Rica! I would highly recommend this place to anyone coming to stay in Arenal!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We really liked this hotel. Very well maintained. It is family run and we were very well taken care of. The owner and his daughter helped us out when our daughter was stung by an ant. It was nice to have plenty of storage and shelving in the room, a refrigerator and air conditioning. I loved sitting on the back porch watching all the birds!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Cerro Azul Arenal? Share your experiences!