“Mi Tierra was a disappointment!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Mi Tierra
2nd Ave. entre calles 3 y 5, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Mi Tierra was a disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We paid for a room with two beds, a private bath, a working TV and internet. We were put in a room with two beds but the bathroom was shared with the manager of the hotel, down the hall. We tried to turn on the TV and it couldn't be plugged in and did not function. The internet was not strong enough to access from the room. We went to lock the room and the key would not turn the lock. I complained to Roberto the manager and he put us in another room with a private bath. In that room the TV had just a few snowy channels and the fan was not functional. He also asked us to pay a higher price for the room that he moved us to. All in all we paid for things we didn't have. I travel down to Costa Rica several times a year and Mi Tierra will NOT be on my "return to" list!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Taupo, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Roberto and his staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel and our small room was clean, as was the pool. We were in a room at the back of the property and if it hadn't been for the dozen or so Canadian teenage boys on a trip we would have given the property 5/5. Unfortunately the boys were noisy until 1am approx. I did ask them to be quiet a couple of times with only moderate success. It appeared the the adult/s with them were in another part of the hotel so were not around to quieten them down for sleep.
The hotel was convenient to SJO, right in Alajuela so good for eating options within walking distance, and just another short taxi ride to Denny's for our shared shuttle pick up.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nelson, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Mi Tierra is in a good location for walking to sites and restaurants in Alajuela. And it is quite cheap. Beyond that I haven't great things to say about it. The staff are friendly but sometimes not as informed as one would hope. The room was clean and very basic. If things like maid service during your stay, or a towel that fits around you, or sheets the right size so they stay on the bed, or a safe in the room etc, etc. this isn't the place for you. We travel on a bit of a shoe-string but when in Alajuela in the future I was spend a bit more to get a bit more.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Our first night was at Hotel Mi Tierra. It worked out beautifully. There were only maybe two other people staying there that night. Breakfast was lovely and everyone was friendly and helpful. We had the number of beds we requested.

When we returned for our last nights the place was packed with teenagers and we were not provided with the number of beds we had reserved and the next night we were told we could get two beds but we would share a bathroom. I could not tolerate that situation at that time. We had to go elsewhere. The young man at the desk had to call his supervisor and he then accepted that we would not pay for what we did not receive.

If you are ok with noise and crowds and can handled anything out of the blue then this will be a fine place for you. I wish the owners and employees of Hotel Mi Tierra well!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Mi tierra was a good spot to overnight on the begining of the trip. Breakfast was filling an delicious and the staff was very helpful in getting our day started. The owner was really friendly and had great suggestions of what to do if you were staying in the area. More of the hostel feel rather than a hotel but for the night I really couldnt complain!

• Stayed March 2014
Ashland, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is very close to the airport, and convenient. The staff stayed till I got in, which was late. They are very accomodating, and speak English, for those who do not speak Spanish. I had a room with shared bathroom, as that was all that was available. The room was "bare bones", but clean. The neighborhood is not too quiet, but welcome to the city! Breakfast is good, and they are helpful with taxis, and other transportation. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ketchikan, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I should start by saying that I never actually stayed at Hotel Mi Tierra. I originally booked this through Hostelworld.com which clearly indicated a 24 hour cancellation policy for the hotel. Four days before staying here we had to change our plans and contacted the owner directly so they could have as much advance notice as possible. The owner told me that we would still be charged for our entire reservation as he had a 5 day cancellation policy! His reasoning was that he wasn't responsible for what was listed on Hostelworlds webpage as he had his own web page. I explained that if he didn't want to be responsible for a third party's webpage then he could simply not allow them to book reservations for him. It should be noted that he can provide whatever special terms and conditions he wants on Hostelworlds webpage. I never went to his web page and would have no reason to believe anything other than the terms and conditions listed on the webpage I booked through. He stated quite frankly that he didn't care and would be charging me for both nights of my stay. He did indicate if he booked the rooms then he wouldn't charge me but quite honestly how can you trust the integrity of someone who won't honor the terms and conditions stated through a reputable booking site! I contacted Hostelworld and in the long run they made sure I was not charged for the two nights. I am thankful I had booked though them and would encourage anyone to be wary of this establishment as there is a lack of integrity in the management!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Mi Tierra? Share your experiences!