“Close to the airport and friendly, helpful staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Mi Tierra
2nd Ave. entre calles 3 y 5, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Close to the airport and friendly, helpful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Mi tierra was a good spot to overnight on the begining of the trip. Breakfast was filling an delicious and the staff was very helpful in getting our day started. The owner was really friendly and had great suggestions of what to do if you were staying in the area. More of the hostel feel rather than a hotel but for the night I really couldnt complain!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ashland, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is very close to the airport, and convenient. The staff stayed till I got in, which was late. They are very accomodating, and speak English, for those who do not speak Spanish. I had a room with shared bathroom, as that was all that was available. The room was "bare bones", but clean. The neighborhood is not too quiet, but welcome to the city! Breakfast is good, and they are helpful with taxis, and other transportation. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ketchikan, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I should start by saying that I never actually stayed at Hotel Mi Tierra. I originally booked this through Hostelworld.com which clearly indicated a 24 hour cancellation policy for the hotel. Four days before staying here we had to change our plans and contacted the owner directly so they could have as much advance notice as possible. The owner told me that we would still be charged for our entire reservation as he had a 5 day cancellation policy! His reasoning was that he wasn't responsible for what was listed on Hostelworlds webpage as he had his own web page. I explained that if he didn't want to be responsible for a third party's webpage then he could simply not allow them to book reservations for him. It should be noted that he can provide whatever special terms and conditions he wants on Hostelworlds webpage. I never went to his web page and would have no reason to believe anything other than the terms and conditions listed on the webpage I booked through. He stated quite frankly that he didn't care and would be charging me for both nights of my stay. He did indicate if he booked the rooms then he wouldn't charge me but quite honestly how can you trust the integrity of someone who won't honor the terms and conditions stated through a reputable booking site! I contacted Hostelworld and in the long run they made sure I was not charged for the two nights. I am thankful I had booked though them and would encourage anyone to be wary of this establishment as there is a lack of integrity in the management!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Close to airport - A taxi ride way awaits a smaller hotel I would have thought it more a Hostel than Hotel. The room (Limon) was bare basics. It could sleep 4 in a pinch - double and single bunks. As we only needed a bed overnight it fit the bill. Rooms clean, but the pillows, not so nice.
The bathroom is located outside the door and down some stairs which I found to be slippery. There is a pool which is small and I did find that area cluttered however my plans did not included and dip. There is locked parking (for 2-3 cars) however by the time we arrived we had to park a block or so way (Hotel paid for parking) and it is very important to NOT leave anything in vehicle. Breakfast included - pico de gallo and was wonderful. Owner was super friendly. I would have never stayed here other than travelling with a friend who made reservations.
Would I book again?? This was my first stay in Costa Rico so I had nothing to compare with. If you are only looking for a place to sleep over and get a good start to the next day, well this place would be adequate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed our final night in Costa Rica at this hotel and it was very nice, clean, basic and the staff is great. The room was spacious (there were two of us and we had a double bed and a bunk bed in our room and there was lots of space for luggage, etc..). It was very clean and very comfortable. There is a TV and a fan in the room and again, its super clean. Our flight was really early so we missed breakfast, and we arrived too late to enjoy the pool, but the sitting area, pool area, and breakfast area all looks really nice (and again, CLEAN!).

The only reason I am not giving this hotel an "excellent" rating is that there was no hot water and the cold shower was rather uncomfortable. There is really no hot/cold water faucet so its just one temperature, which in our case was cold.

All in all, its a nice hotel, basic, very affordable ($50/night if you are paying cash) and I would likely stay here again before an early flight out.

Its a $5 cab ride, about 5-7 minutes, so its super convenient for an early or late flight.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
South China, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

You might be surprised, after reading all of the positive reviews, at the bare-bones basic level of comfort here. Yes, the staff is nice and it's a quick taxi ride to airport (not free shuttle). Our tiny room "Alajuela" had the double bed with threadbare sheets jammed against the corner, a huge window to nowhere, paper thin walls, and dim lighting. It felt a bit like a jail cell. The common area was basic with grungy furniture. The stone floor was slippery and I saw a woman fall. The stairs leading down to our room were dangerous. The wifi only worked by the reception desk. I guess that young backpackers, and adventurous kayakers are happy here, but even though I prefer modest, locally owned places over hotel franchises, this hotel was NOT mi tierra. Baby boomers beware!

Room Tip: Don't choose the room "Alajuela."
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our flight was cancelled due to a snow storm. We were supposed to stay 2 nights. Roberto forgave our first night even though he would not have been able to rent it out last minute. This gesture was very much appreciated. We arrived at 3am a day late, as our new flight was also late. They opened the gate for us, and let us park our car inside the gate. We never got a chance to meet Roberto and say thanks in person, as we left in the morning and he was out with a tour. The room was basic, but had everything we needed. We had breakfast in front of the pool, watching birds. It compensated for a terrible start of our vacation due to weather.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Mi Tierra? Share your experiences!