“Great place to stay by the airport” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn

Save Saved
You added Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn to your Saves list
Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   400 Meters West From the Soccer Field | San Antonio Del Tejar, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 52 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Smithers, Canada
“Great place to stay by the airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Trapp for our last night in CR as we had a morning flight home.
Fantastic place, Clean comfortable large rooms, excellent grounds, fantastic dinner
Soo Relaxing place to stay in such a busy city.
Loved it.
Free shuttle to the airport even at 5am - & they had coffee ready for us before we left
Great hosts:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Fort Bridger, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were amazed that such a beutiful property was only minutes from the airport. Property appeared to have 8 rooms, balcony, decent beds, pool, nice grounds surrounded by enough trees that you could not tell you were just off the main street. Quiet even close to airport, San Jose apparently does not have many red eye flights. We had dinner and it was very good, I assume the complimentary breakfast was also, but we were catching a flight before it was served. No AC none needed. Old style craftsmanship, expect a sticky door or two.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pineville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a beautiful serene location. The grounds were outstanding with plants, tree birds and the sound of the river to add to the peace. The rooms were large and very clean. For a night or a week these people make you welcome as if you are in there home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Trapp Family Country Inn was the ideal place for my family to start and end our vacation. A scant five minutes from the airport, the Inn was like an oasis in an otherwise rundown and ill-kept neighborhood. Protected by a fence topped with barbed wire, the grounds were large, green, and included many fruit trees that our boys enjoyed climbing. The staff even allowed them to pick and keep some of the fruit. Although there are several "American" hotels near the airport, the Inn was recommended to us because it provided a more authentic Costa Rican experience. We really enjoyed our dinner, although it was a bit pricey for a family of five. Maybe fluffystella2004 had a different cook since her review of the meal was not great. The free breakfast was even better, and included eggs, toast, juice, fresh fruit, hot chocolate or coffee, and the BEST rice and beans I have ever had. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, providing advice, suggestions, and directions, all of which proved quite valuable. Having traveled extensively in South America, Europe, Russia, Mexico, Canada, Central America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the U.S., my husband and I have developed a great appreciation for opportunities to experience the local culture -- and one of the primary ways to do this is by staying in more authentic lodgings. Thus, while the Inn did not perhaps meet the exacting, sterile standards of a five-star American hotel, I found the accomodations to be a wonderful introduction to Costa Rica. Our fan did a great job of cooling the room without being noisy at all, the sheets had a fresh scent and feel, and the room was spacious. While I will concede there may have been a faint scent of mildew, I was not entirely surprised given the locale and annual rainfall (and thus the lush green surroundings) -- coupled with the lack of airconditioning. Overall, we had a wonderful experience and would definitely stay here again. While some of the complaints of those who have posted previously have some merit (e.g., we saw several bugs), I would encourage those considering the Inn to consider cultural differences, such as the lack of window screens and the tendency for unscreened open air dining in Central and South America. If you are interested in embracing the culture and having a more authentic Costa Rican experience, I recommend you stay at the Inn. If you want to feel like you are stil in the U.S., stay at one of the chain hotels near the airport.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I arrived at the Trapp Family Inn and it was just beautiful. The grounds were well kept. It looked like a secret hacienda in the heart of a busy and noisy city. It is close to the airport which helped since I had a very early AM flight. The staff was very helpful and professional. They arranged my taxi to the airport and everything went off without a hitch.

Now for the inside of the hotel. My room was on the ground floor and as I was lead to my room I noticed how run-down it seemed. When I got to my room I was greatly disappointed. The walls had the strange growths on them, the bathroom...oh the bathroom. The shower had mildew on the shower curtain. I was afraid to touch anything because it just seemed like it hadn't really been cleaned properly. This applies to the whole room. I tried turning the ceiling fan on and it cranked noisily and very slowly without creating a breeze. At this point I was afraid to pull back the covers of my bed. There were stains on the comforter and when I did pull back the covers, there was a long black hair. Did they even change and wash the bedding? I searched the bed for signs of bugs but all I found was what looked like flecks of dirt. I had a very uncomfortable sleep in my room because I kept imagining all the dirt, stains and stickiness touching me. Yuck!

Dinner was very expensive and I should have been honest with the staff but I didn't want to hurt their feelings but the food was quite awful. I had ordered a meal which consisted of rice, chicken breast with two slaps of processed ham on top smothered in cheese. I think there were vegetables served with it but I ignored them since they were pretty rubbery. However, the glass of white wine I ordered was the best part of the meal. I should have asked what it was.

I hesitated to review this hotel because I tried hard to like it but I couldn't keep my opinion to myself and hopefully this review will be taken as an honest critique for the hotel to make very, very necessary improvements.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
washington dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed at this little inn for the last night of our stay in Costa Rica. I reserved a night here based on reviews I read on Trip Advisor. The inn is very conveniently located close to the airport, and is hidden behind a secure gate with a guard. The grounds are beautiful be it small. I did not get a chance to use the pool. The people in the office were ok not overly friendly or talkative. We were not able to be dropped off here so we were dropped off at theholiday inn (not the most friendly folks at holiday inn) and we were picked up by the staff at Trapp. The wireless Internet in the room would NOT work... you have to sit in the main house to get the password and a signal to their other signal. The do not advise you of this and do not count on their computers as the are ancient (see photo)

The grounds were nice the ground floor room was a bit dusty and musty, the bathroom was not that clean, probably the worst thing was the bathroom. We ate at the Trapp as we were tired and the town outside looked like an unsafe area. The food was very average maybe overpriced for what it was. I should also mention that there were spiders, mosquitoes and lots and lots of large ants.

I would not stay here again eventhough it was quiet, I would look for another alternative.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Very nice with helpful staff and pleasant surroundings

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Trapp Family Country Inn? Share your experiences!