“Very Good Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

50mts west of Nuevo Hospital | SJO Airport area, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Very Good Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Clean and convenient location, friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in a room for five which was very comfortable. Clean communal shower rooms / toilets. The basic breakfast was just fine. Although there is no dedicated parking, we left our car outside on the road with no problems (there is a security guard opposite, although no connection to Maleku, who looks after the houses further up the road). Excellent value. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Leon, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hostel has really good connection to the int.airport, they offer free shuttle buses. The hostel is quite small, but very comfortable with friendly and helpful staff.Offer some dorms and private rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here on my last night in Costa Rica, its a great location near the airport, staff were friendly, good rooms, clean place, even had a basic breakfast. Also transfers to the airport were included within the price of the stay. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We stayed in Maleku as our first stop in Costa Rica.
It is very clean and home-alike.
The staff was very friendly and informative.
Great place to start/end your trip.
A bit noisy from the road, but it didn't bother me from sleeping good....

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Belize City, Belize
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Staying at Maleku hostel will save you a ton of time and money by sleeping less than 5 minutes from the airport. They have really clean rooms and facilities. The kitchen is small, but fully equipped. They have 24 hour reception staffing. Free breakfast includes coffee, juice, bananas and some packaged cookies. The common area has a T.V. and computer with free Wi-Fi. The beds were above average for hostel comfort and I slept great. The hostel and neighborhood is quiet, although I always recommend traveling with earplugs. Overall, I had a great experience staying here and I would recommend it as the best place to stay if you have a layover in Costa Rica.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Montezuma, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stopped there as i wanted to say good bye to a friend who was leaving the next morning.

First i arrived and the receptionist told me the price for the nigth in colones with a rate of 560 colones for a dollar. I told him that the rate was wrong and i showed him the rate of the bank that day which was 540 collones for a dollar. He rectified and gave me the righ rate. But if they take 20colones per every dollars they receive that is quite dishonest.

Second: i arrived there at 9pm and the kitchen was closed as cooking time is only until 8.30pm.

Third: My friend and i were discussing in the commun area have a discussion at very low voice level. We went outside for a smoke at 11pm and for that i had to wake up the security guard (in which hostel/hotel in the world the nigth guar is sleeping???!!!!). There for as he was probably a bit upset by that as i walking back in he told me that me and my friend had to go yo our dorm rooms and that we couldnt talk anymore. I explained him that it was our last nigth of conversation and that we were very quite he got uptset said that a lot of negative things and aggrzssively. When 15 minutes later we went for an other smoke the guy also told us that it was the last one and after that we had to go to bed. I tried calming him down and saying that i didnt wanr to bother him. I gave him my hand to shake as a peace sign he refused to take it and became mute.
I have been 6 times to costa rica and over all i spent in total 18 months here. It is the first time i have felt so uncomfortable and unwanted in a hostel.

I have been traveling for the past 10 years on and off and this is probably one of my top 3 worse hostel i have been.

Avoid it avoid it avoid it

• Stayed May 2014
melbourne australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here on 2 different occasions, has a great location, not in San Jose itself, great location if you need to get to the airport for an early flight. Hostel has a homely feel & thankfully is not a party hostel, use of kitchen was great & breakfast was fine, would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Maleku Hostel? Share your experiences!