“Convenient and Close to Airport” 4 of 5 stars

You added Maleku Hostel to your Saves list
Maleku Hostel
50mts west of Nuevo Hospital | SJO Airport area, Alajuela, Costa Rica   |
Nanaimo, Canada
“Convenient and Close to Airport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed here both on our first and last night in Costa Rica. It was extremely close to the Airport, Cab should cost you less than $5 US. Clean comfortable rooms, never used the kitchen or common area much as it was just a place to stay after we flew in and before we flew home.

Staff were friendly and helpful (especially in helping me when we first stayed and my baggage was lost - in connecting with my insurance company to file a claim via skype).

Breakfast was very basic - but exactly as advertised: bananas, cookies, juice and coffee - expect no more or less. just across the road from a mini supermarket and walking distance to the bus station. Stay here if you are looking for convenience!

Room Tip: Road out front is very loud from rooms right by front desk - but might be unavoidable.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

When I arrived at Maleku hostel, I've got straight away all information I needed. I went for a walk and when I came back they offered me a coffee. Really a friendly place. Clean and well located, 5 minutes from the airport.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hostel was clean and Pamela, at the front desk was nice and very helpful. All the amenities you really need are there: fridge, dishes, simple breakfast, computer for internet, a fan in the room. We chose the private room and had a lot of room. The location isn't the greatest in terms of finding things to do - but about 5 minutes away from the airport! And they also offer a free shuttle to the airport (especially when you have a 5am flight when you need to make a special request for a cab).

Room Tip: Private and shared rooms are both available (3 ppl can sleep in a private)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon arrival to Maleku my friend and I had just encountered the taxi ride from hell, so we were very thankful to be welcomed by the owner of the hostel with a warm smile. The hostel was very safe feeling, extremely clean (which I gratefully appreciated after spending the last 21 days in Costa Rica in and out of dozens of different hostels), bedrooms were very spacious and well equipped, and the bathrooms were very clean. The only down fall was the loud traffic from the road but when you were as tired as we were, it didn't really matter. Coffee was kindly ready at 4 AM when we were up and getting ready for our flight the following morning and the very convenient airport shuttle was SO nice. We will definitely be staying here again when we come back to Costa Rica; perfect hostel for either the first or last night of your stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
la playa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have been in Costa Rica for 10 years and stay here most of the time on my way to airport or coming back to Costa Rica. Only 3 minutes from the airport and they have free airport taxi. It is in Alajuela which is close to many worthwhile attractions such as volcano Poas a great day trip. The hostel is cozy, confortable and clean. Very friendly knowledgable staff, they have always helped me out with all my needs. I will stay there again and reccomend for sure. Pura vida!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Escazu, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

It can be difficult to find a reasonably priced hostel/hotel near the airport that is clean and offers early morning shuttles. I've stayed in 2 other other hostels in Alajuela that were both fairly disappointing. Maleku is a bit more like an inn than hostel and appears to be run by a family. When we arrived the staff member on desk was very friendly and warm, showed us around and didn't seem to mind that we showed up a bit early. I shared a private room for 2 with my sister. The room was very basic with a fan, double bed and bunk twin bed above. The bathroom was right across the hall. I saw it being cleaned 2 or 3 during my stay which was nice. We spent some time in the kitchen/common-in area. It's a bit cramped if you're planning to stay more than a night or two. I like that the hostel encourages guests to stay quiet after 11. Many people have early morning flights and the area near the airport is loud enough. I did think shutting the kitchen down for use at 9:30 was a bit early. 11 would make more sense. Our shuttle was great and super easy! I will most likely stay here the next time I fly out of Alajuela.

• Stayed July 2013
Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I highly recommend this hostel for anyone flying in/out of the international airport as it's only a $5 cab ride away (but they also offer a free shuttle to the airport). It's the cleanest hostel we stayed in while in CR for 3 weeks. There are private/dorm rooms, the prices are very reasonable, the staff is very helpful and downtown is a short walk away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Maleku Hostel? Share your experiences!