It can be difficult to find a reasonably priced hostel/hotel near the airport that is clean and offers early morning shuttles. I've stayed in 2 other other hostels in Alajuela that were both fairly disappointing. Maleku is a bit more like an inn than hostel and appears to be run by a family. When we arrived the staff member on desk was very friendly and warm, showed us around and didn't seem to mind that we showed up a bit early. I shared a private room for 2 with my sister. The room was very basic with a fan, double bed and bunk twin bed above. The bathroom was right across the hall. I saw it being cleaned 2 or 3 during my stay which was nice. We spent some time in the kitchen/common-in area. It's a bit cramped if you're planning to stay more than a night or two. I like that the hostel encourages guests to stay quiet after 11. Many people have early morning flights and the area near the airport is loud enough. I did think shutting the kitchen down for use at 9:30 was a bit early. 11 would make more sense. Our shuttle was great and super easy! I will most likely stay here the next time I fly out of Alajuela.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Maleku Hostel is run by a Costa Rican Family. It is located really close to the International Airport Juan Santamaria, San Jose. that actually is in Alajuela Town. Our location is really convenient for all those traveler arriving or Departing Costa Rica. 3-5 minutes Taxi ride from the airport SJO.Next to big Super Market with ATM, walk distance to restaurants, stores, movies & public transportation.Our Facilities:•Free shuttle to the airport (from Hostel TO Airport, starting 5am to 5pm)•Free internet &WiFi•Breakfast 7am to 10am (coffee, tea or orange juice, Cookies and fruit)•Lockers•Towels•Full Kitchen•Hot Shower in Sharing Bathroom, all rooms in our hostel have share bathroom.• Great location •Free travel information •Public transportation and cabs a cross the street•Parking: On the street(Please Note we don't offer Airport pick up)We have:2 Dorm Rooms with 6 beds3 Private rooms available All with Share Bath. We offer the best recommendations in Local transportation, tours, rentals, other great hostel around Costa Rica and more.We are open 24 hrs. But our Information staff usually is available to help you with questions from 8am to 8pm. Hope to see you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Maleku Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maleku Hotel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Hotel Alajuela
- Maleku Hostel Costa Rica/Alajuela