“Honest people in a wonderful setting” 5 of 5 stars

Arilapa Bed & Breakfast
Imas 2, Itiquis, Alajuela 50038, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #29 of 53 Alajuela B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Honest people in a wonderful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We came expecting a cheap place (because relatively it is) that had internet and a bit of a grumpy owner (because in the emails he is short and to the point). This was not the case. The setting for this beautiful hotel is amazing. There is a stream that goes through the property, beautiful tree and birds, friendly dogs, amazing food (for breakfast and if you want to dish out the $15 for dinner even better dinner) and amazing guests and hospitality people. We liked the people who stayed there. We liked the hotel owner (who ended up bring out lights so we could play on the stage they built in their back yard). We liked everything and couldn't have hoped for much more. The only thing that can play a factor is that while it is on the bus line and the owner is happy to help when asked for cabs or what'not (i think naturally he's a bit quiet) the place is a little outside of town so if you want to be able to walk from the hotel to the shopping strip this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pocatello
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Arilapa B and B has beautiful grounds, but that is about it. It is a nature filled spot away from the city with a river on the premises. The owner seemed "high" most of the time and was yelling and ranting around the compound. The breakfasts were marginal as well as the services. A paid shuttle was supposed to be provided from the airport, but was not. We had to get a late night taxi, and when we arrived at Arilapa, we were treated as if we were creating a big burden.I would only go back to enjoy the gardens.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at Arilapa. Dinner at an awesome place was recommended, beautiful view. Taxi's were needed to get around, as they were with any other place except for chain hotels, which this is not. Local decor and art gave you a flavor of Costa Rica, as did the fresh am brew and local cheese on the breakfast plate of french toast. If you are traditional and stuffy, this is not for you, but if you like to be in nature and appreciate beautiful grounds and the charm of a family run bed and breakfast, make your way here. The host and hostesses were kind and generous. This Oregon and NC traveler approved!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

We came late at night,had to take a taxi although they say they have free pickup.We were put in a sort of flat on top floor of reception.after 26 hours travelling,very tired. No hot water,no towels no soap,just a bed.The sofa was dirty from the dogs and ther seemed to be reperations ongoing. Not a sign of the nice rooms on the website.They might have changed owner,as I can not recognize him from other descriptions. Poor breakfast with beens,rice and bacon and a piece of bread. No fruits or jice as we had in all other places in Costa Rica.The strangest was the leaving: We were promised breakfast at 06 and a taxi 06.30. at 0610,no breakfast but a taxi came.It was agreed to take us to alajuela to catch the bus to Monteverde.The taxidriver and our host said hurry up and throwed our things unlocked in the back.the owner left. the taxidriver said something in Spanish like that the bus would not stop in Alajuela,so he would take us to San josé.We could say nothing. The bus would leave san jose at 06.30 and it was too far to be able to catch it. The taxi dropped us at the wrong place- we left the taxi in a hurry to try to catch the bus,but too late.So,we had to wait 8 hours for the next at 14.30 in the afternoon(only 2 buses/day)The worst thing was that I lost my Iphone in the mess and we had to pay 40 dollars for no use at all and spoiled an expensive trip-day.As it was our first day-it was just the worst start.I was so angry over lost time,money and Iphone and the stupid hotel-owner who should arrange everything in the morning.
I can not understand why it is recommended in the lonely Planet_I would not recommend it to my worst enemy!

Room Tip: we never saw the room from the pictures!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Jarvenpaa, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stayed here for the last 2 nights in Costa Rica with my family. We got a very pittoresque cabin by the river and it was the most beautiful! Children went playing in the river along with the host family kids. The breakfast was delicious, allthough for our very early last morning they forgot to leave something to eat for us, dispite what was promised.
I am very happy we stayed here our last days, enjoying the sun, the garden and the river, rather than staying in noisy&unsafe city of San Jose (or even Alajuela). Especially if you are travelling with children: NO NOT STAY IN THE CITY, IT IS NOT WORTH IT!
I thought the neighbourhood was not so bad, and we did got some groceries from the tiendas along the road. Very clean and nice kitchen at the main house. Also thanks for the use or the washing machine!
If I ever go back to CR, I will defenitely start my travels from this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

The room was good, large with comfy bed but extremely poor lighting and very gloomy - definitely not the "bright rooms" as claimed in the Lonely Planet guide. There was a pane of glass missing from one of the louvered windows so not ideal security and made for a pretty cold night despite the very welcome thin duvet. The shared bathroom was reasonable although looked like it was undergoing some renovation as all the tiles had been riped off the walls and the shower temperature was mildly lukewarm at best. The owners were lovely though although pretty quirky. There is nowhere to eat around Arilapa within walking distance and as the hostel is at the end of a dark road in what looks like a pretty dodgy area of town, I would have reservations about recommending to single women travelling alone. The owners were very kind and did provide me with some food the evening I arrived as I really did not relish the prospect of trying to find somewhere to eat without any transport. There is no airport shuttle service despite what it says on Hostelbookers and the "gourmet" breakfast describe on Arilapa's own website leaves a lot to be desired. I'm a vegetarian and was given meat sausages! The grounds did look lovely but unfortunately I didn't have the time to appreciate them properly as I arrived in the evening and left the following morning. I would recommend this place with reservations though as described above. Bring ear plugs as the river is relentless.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at the B&B in our last night in San Jose. We had a great spacious room - that was nice, but everything else was disastrous. Worst: tiny little ants were all over the bed and we couldn't get rid of them, so slept with/in them. The bathroom did not have tiles but painted chipboards and a continuous-flow water heater. Toilet and sink seemed as they hadn't been cleaned for a while.
The B&B was quite far away from the airport as well and due to the evening-traffic we paid 20 USD for the taxi. The way to the airport was early in the morning so they didn't drop us off as well (although advertised) - though it was cheaper then.
The owners have been friendly and helpful though. But we didn't ask for a new room as is was quite late and as I said the last evening.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Arilapa Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!