Hotel is a 10 minute ($4.00) cab ride from the airport, which is why we chose it as we were flying out the next morning to fly to the Osa peninsula. It is on a quiet street, and the worker stayed up to check us in as our flight from Miami was extremely late. I can't say that the worker was very friendly upon our arrival, but it was midnight, so... We were shown to our room which was the only one with a private bath. The room is in a separate little building in the back of the garden, and you have to walk a pitch dark little path to get to it. I almost tripped on a step I couldn't see, and almost fell on my face which didn't make my fiancé too happy since I was 5 months pregnant. If you chose that room, bring a flashlight!! I was not impressed by the room; the sheets were changed, and the floor swept, but the ceiling was full of spider webs and dead and live bugs. This was my first time in San Jose, so I wasn't sure if this was the norm, but after staying at other places with higher ceilings which were spotless, I realized that it was the standard for this place. Also, the toilet wouldn't flush, and it took me a while to realize that they'd shut off the water, so I had to reach under the toilet to turn the nozzle on. The pillows and mattresses were thin and uncomfortable, but the included breakfast was very filling, and the social atmosphere was nice as everyone sits at the same table and chats. The room was tolerable for one night, but I wouldn't suggest it for a longer stay. When our flight to Osa was cancelled due to weather, we returned there, but they had no room and sent us to another place nearby which was $10 cheaper, and much cleaner named Hotel Paradise Alajuela (see my review of that hotel if interested).
- Also Known As:
- Vida Tropical b And b Hotel Alajuela
- Vida Tropical b And b Hotel
- Vida Tropical B And B Costa Rica/Alajuela
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ADVANTAGES OF VIDA TROPICAL - 5 minutes from the airport, but not on the flight path; walking distance to the center of the city of Alajuela; on a nice, quiet, secure street, in a friendly residential area; transportation to and from the airport is available at any hour of the day or night with the official orange airport taxis or we can arrange pickup(fare is about $7.00); a base from which to do day trips in the Central Valley, or overnight trips to more distant points; a place to stay during your whole trip if you're here to check out business opportunities, real estate purchase or rental possibilities or if you want to experience daily life in the Central Valley to decide if you want to move here permanently or part of the year; s place to enjoy an extended stay at very reasonable prices. We´re in Lonely Planet, Let's Go, and other travel books, reviewed on TripAdvisor and airbnb,and recommended in Thorn Tree and other discussion boards. Established in the Last Millenium before Y2K (1999), and enjoyed by 1,000s of guests. We accept Visa and Mastercard but NOT with the new CHIP security system. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Vida Tropical B and B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.