“A Great Escape to Pura Vida (The Good Life)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat

Save Saved
You added Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   600 mts NW from Bar Apolo 15 | Pavas, Carrizal, Alajuela 1112-4050, Costa Rica   |
Special Offer
Summer Discount/Giveaways
Ranked #4 of 30 hotels in Alajuela
Toronto
“A Great Escape to Pura Vida (The Good Life)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

I decided to treat my wife to a yoga retreat in the mountains, while I spent my days photographing the coffee harvest. We both discovered so much more, and had a hard time leaving the resort. Something neither of us had experienced before. One week really was not enough, and we will likely return for 2 weeks in 2007.
This is not your typical high end resort. Their packages include plenty of yoga, food and off site tours. I toured all of the available accommodations and they are all great. We were fortunate to get upgraded to their most luxurious room, the Pagoda, which is like a private chalet with a king sized bed, jacuzzi tub and an outdoor shower! The food is exceptional with nothing but healthy choices and enough chicken and fish to satisfy your typical carnivore (like myself). I had never tried yoga before, and this is the perfect location to start. I'm now hooked! The staff are really great, and go out of your way to make you feel welcome. We made great friends with them before the end of the week. There are also a number of great and relaxing spa treatments that are fairly unique, and well executed. Can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Outdoor shower, and great view
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Tips/Secrets — If you need anything, just ask. Also, wander into the coffee fields for some incredible photo opps!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2006

I looked for a place where a woman could go single, relax, have fun, and be safe. Also, i wanted to inspire some life changes to lead to a healthier life. There I learned how to meditate, practiced yoga with an excellent teacher, had full body holistic massages, and had great girl time with some women I met there. We were all journaling and focusing on personal growth. It was a paradise. Pura Vida is not a common spa. They are really a retreat with a perfect environment to get away from stress. But it was not all slow and calm, we also got to travel to see the Arenal Volcano, the hot springs at Tabacon, Poas Volcano, and La Paz Waterfalls. There was a lot of activities and the week was so enjoyable that I wished I could stay longer. The facilities were simple, but enough for someone who is looking to stay close to nature. Their gardens were amazing and the food deliciuly home made. I recommended it to anyone looking for a vacation where they will learn to live a better life!

• Liked — The program of classes and tours
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — Great place for single women and men
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york, ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2005

NOTE: This review should be for the Retreat, not the Hotel. It is misplaced under the Hotel.

I just got back from Costa Rica, and spent a few days at Pura Vida. I signed up for the 5 day Mind Body Spirit Program, and came to PV after 4 days at another yoga retreat on the Caribbean side (Samasati). Maybe because Samasati was set in a rain forest, I was disappointed when I arrived at PV. Although you can't really get a sense of the size of the space from the website, PV is on the smaller side, and it's hard to find the nooks and crannies (other than my room which had paper thin walls) for the natural relaxation you would expect at a yoga retreat. A bench is tucked in there, or a hammock over there, but I felt like I was on top of people, with nowhere to roam. And if you're coming to Costa Rica, a country known for its interesting outdoor spaces, this predominantly indoor place seems like a waste. The food was fabulous, and my yoga instructor was quite nice. The staff and massage people were great. But after the 2.5 hours of yoga, I was left with 21.5 hours in a cramped space, with a beautiful view of San Jose. But again, the purpose of coming to Costa Rica is to look at the ocean, or the rain forest. Nature. Eating the cost, I left after 3 days, and if you have any travel imagination at all, I would not recommend coming here. If you want to feel like you're in a condo in Florida, you will enjoy the place.

• Stayed November 2005
Rockford, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

I really enjoyed my stay at Pura Vida. They picked me up at the airport and I had a standard room which was very basic with a bathroom and showers around the corner. The food was great. Lots of fruits, vegtables, soups, chicken dishes and tofu dishes. Lots of juice and very good coffee. They had a hot tub on a new patio overlooking the city, and thier was another one over by the meeting hall. It was very beautiful at night to watch the lights. No tv, newspapers or phones, very quite and beautiful grounds and flowers and paths to walk around. They had a payphone in the office and internet access, but my cell phone also worked for $5 a minute which is At&T or cingular. I went on three excursions:Waterfalls with the hummingbird and butterfly conservatory. I enjoyed it even though it poured the entire time we were there. The second was the beach day trip, which was a nice ride to get out and see Costa Rica and the private beach was beautiful but the first beach at the hotel where we ate lunch was dirty. The third trip was to the volcanoe but it was to foggy so we went to a small zoo in town. That was okay, too. I got a little bus sick so bring dranamine because the little bus goes around and around on the mountains and the windows fog up so you can't really see where you are going. Seemed like it takes a couple of hours to get to any of the sights.

If I were to go again I would stay in a deluxe room with private bath/shower and a deck because I really enjoyed looking out at the city lights. The staff was very kind and personable. I was part of a very large retreat, so they were stretched for space but I never felt crowded or rushed. It was well organized and alot of planning was involved. If you have any questions feel free to email me and I'll try to answer them the best that I can.

• Stayed November 2004
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2004

I found the spa didn't resemble at all the image portrayed on the website (the pool isn't next to the hot tub - it is under the window of the office and was small and didn't look clean) and my general impression was that the place was run for the benefit and comfort of the owner and the small number of staff who all live there and eat in the restaurent. It is on a flight path (I kept thinking a volcano was exploding) and surrounded by a big fence with wire looking out over City lights (just like home). It is really designed for groups with their yoga teacher rather than individuals travelling in Costa Rica and is incredibly expensive for what it is - $140/night for a tent with a dirty old carpet, 2 yoga classes and a shared bathroom - but the food, which is also included, was delicious and the cook was charming and the gardens were well tended.

Been to Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!