“Fabulous yoga instructor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat

Save Saved
You added Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat to your Saves list
Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat
3.5 of 5 Spa   |   600 mts NW from Bar Apolo 15 | Pavas, Carrizal, Alajuela 1112-4050, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Summer Discount
Ranked #7 of 30 hotels in Alajuela
london
“Fabulous yoga instructor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on our tour of Costa Rica. Tamara, the yoga instructor was great and I did 2 classes with her at the end of both days having been out walking during the day. Pura vida's yoga studios have great views too, over the valley. The food was great as were the serving staff. We had a large spacious room that overlooked the valley and walking through the gardens was a delight. The treatments were, frankly, too complex to understand and a little pricey
all I wanted was a straightforward sports massage so I waited until I got home.

Room Tip: Every price range catered for, top end very luxurious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have lead yoga retreats yearly to this facility since 2000 through Global Yoga Journeys and every time has proven to be perfect. Accommodations cover a spectrum from tentalows to individual chalet doubles. Food is abundant and caters to those who like chicken and fish and vegetarians will be very happy. Eco adventure tours are varied and fairly priced. I will return in February 2014 with another group.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I spent 7 days at Pura Vida and loved every minute of it. The landscaping was lush and beautiful, creating a private, tranquil environment. We stayed in the Pagoda, a luxurious and spacious cottage with a lovely outdoor shower. The food was fabulous, healthy, innovative, and delicious. The yoga instructors on staff were excellent ( we had Marysol), and the spa treatments were to die for. I especially recommend Alex for a facial. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I can't say enough good things about the place. My only criticism, a minor one, is that they didn't provide enough toiletries and you have to ask for fresh towels and a hair dryer. As I say, very minor issue. The experience overall was "pure bliss" and I will definitely return.

Room Tip: The Pagoda is ideal for a couple who want luxurious and spacious accommodations. The outdoor stone s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

A great place, the quality of the rooms was very good, large glass walls overlooking the forest. Nice birds flying around, beautiful flowers and plants; reception staff quite friendly.The food was very good, I wish deserts were healthier, such as with agave syrop or stevia, but not full of sugar. There was no yoga every day as mentioned, but did not really needed it as the place was awesome and invited to meditation.
Cons:
-rooms have no phones and you are not able to call the reception in case you need something
-quite cold, both in the wet and dry season; very rainy in the wet season and cold at night, and aparently even colder in the dry season, I wonder if it is ever warm and how do they do when colder and with no heating...
-prices for massages/treatments are high (they are higher than in the US)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Aventura, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I returned home last week after spending 9 wonderful nights at this beautiful resort. This was my first time to a yoga retreat and I wasn't really sure what to expect but this place totally exceeded my expectations on every level.

I really enjoyed getting back in touch with nature.The grounds are very well maintained and simply gorgeous with beautiful flowering plants full of hummingbirds and fruitbearing trees loaded with papayas, coconuts, mangoes and citrus all along the walkways. It is the perfect setting to relax, unplug and rejuvenate.

The food was healthy and delicious and served buffet style in the Dining Hall, the spa treatments were outstanding to say the least, my room was spacious with an amazing view of San Jose and kept spotless by the housekeeping staff. The instructors in the yoga classes were second to none.

I could go on and on but what really makes this place so special is that every single member of the staff is genuinely kind, caring, nurturing and completely dedicated to ensuring that every guest gets the most out of the experience and that is why I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I returned last week from Pura Vida after a 7 day stay and I fell in love the first night I arrived. The grounds are so beautiful....I felt like I was in another world. I cannot say enough good things about the staff working there. They would greet me by name with a smile each time. The kitchen was AMAZING!!!!!! They prepared oil-free meals for me during my stay and each meal was soooo delicious.
I had an amazing facial and myoskeletal massage by Alex. Her spirit is infectious! She just made me feel so comfortable.
The yoga classes were excellent. I had a few private classes because there wasn't many MBS participants while I was there. Each teacher has there own style but I learned so much (and was pretty sore too :)
I highly recommend doing the white water rafting if you get the chance. It was an experience of a lifetime :)
I will definitely be returning here. Just what I needed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I just spent 5 nights at the Pura Vida Spa and loved it! The grounds are gorgeous, the food is delicious and it was so peaceful.
A friend and I stayed in a Vista room, room 201. It was very spacious, had a large balcony with an amazing view of the town below and mountains all around. The shower pressure was wonderful. There is no a/c but the temperature is moderate so the room stayed comfortable. There is no ceiling fan either and we made sure to leave windows open to keep the air circulating (there are screens on the windows so no bugs to worry about).
We were part of a group and many of our friends were staying in A-frame rooms so we saw some of those as well. They also had balconies but the room and balcony were not quite as big as the Vista rooms.
The food was amazing! All meals are included. Breakfast usually consisted of eggs, a wide variety of fresh fruit, several yogurts with various toppings, bread, homemade honey and peanut butter and so on. Lunch and dinner alternated between fish and chicken dishes (the mustard chicken was so good!) and soup, bread, salads, vegetables, grains and more. And each lunch and dinner included a light dessert as well. There was also a cash (or charge to your room) bar for wine, coconut water, wheat grass shots and more. Free coffee, tea, and filtered water was available at all times.
There are various tours available for a fee, all listed on the website. I went on the Waterfall Garden tour and the Skywalk tour. Both were incredible. The Waterfall Garden tour is a half a day through a park, nature center and along a path by the waterfalls. The path is a little bit steep on the way out but nothing too bad. Also in the park is a butterfly garden which was wonderful and a hummingbird garden which was amazing. I would recomend this tour to everyone. The Skywalk tour was a little more challenging but just as wonderful. It is an all day tour. From morning to lunch is a hike through the forest, over five different suspended bridges with the chance to spot all kinds of wildlife along the way. We saw a sloth, many birds and a few brightly colored tree frogs. After lunch is a ride on a pontoon boat down the Rio Tarcoles towards the mouth of the Pacific. Expect to see crocodiles, more birds and possibly an iguana sunning by the river. Our driver and our tour guide (who happened to be the same for both tours) were absolutely wonderful.
In addition to the organized tours a few friends and I arranged to go into town, to Alajuela, one day. Anyone working at the reception desk can help you organize a taxi and give you tips on where to go and how to get back. We visted the Alajuela Cathedral, Central Park and the main market. If you have a sense of adventure I would say to definitely go explore in town a little bit.
I did not participate in any of the yoga classes offered as I was part of a yoga group with our own instructor but I can say that the studio rooms were gorgeous. Large windows with great views, adjustable lighting and ceilings fans, all mats, blocks, etc available.
All in all this was a great place to get away from it all and relax with the opportunities available to explore the countryside a bit. The rooms are comfortable, the food delicious and best of all, the people of Costa Rica were all amazingly warm and friendly.

Room Tip: Vista room 201 has a great view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pura Vida Spa & Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!