“Excellent choice near the airport; great staff; very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent choice near the airport; great staff; very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My friend, her 12-year-old daughter, and I stayed here off and on (whenever we traveled through the San Jose area) during a two-week vacation in June/July. Robert and his staff were very helpful to us each time we visited. For example, they often let us use their phone to call other parts of the country, called cabs for us, made recommendations, etc. The hotel has a pet guinea pig whose name means "Piggy Bank" in English (very cute). My friend's daughter liked the guinea pig but especially liked the pool. The water in the showers was hot, the beds were comfortable, and the lights worked. AND we didn't have to go into downtown San Jose at all!

Food: We had a few good dinners at a local eatery called Chery's, and the breakfasts at the hotel (included in the price) were good. Robert sells wine, soft drinks, and a few snacks in the reception area. There's a computer there with Internet access.

I'm used to very modest hotels while my friend and her daughter are used to much more upscale places, but all of us were happy there. I think all of us would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

This hotel was the best. As a solo female traveler, this hotel was a life saver. The owners made me feel so welcome and helped me plan my 3 week trip round Costa Rica. The rooms are brilliant, the breakfasts are lovely, the staff speak perfect English and are the most helpful I have ever encountered. My origianal plan was to spend 4 nights there, but I extended my stay to 8 nights. It is very close to San Jose airport, perfect for tours to all the sights and lovely and quiet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
China Grove, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

We spent our first night there and it was easy to find (something not easy to do in San Jose). It was a great starting point on our adventure. The food was good, the neighborhood was OK, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

La Rosa de America is a lovely hotel in a quiet garden setting. We found the staff and owners (all english speaking) to be extremely helpful and kind. It was a great place to relax and unwind for a few days before heading out to see the rest of Costa Rica. La Rosa is not just a jumping off point but a great destination if you're looking to enjoy some down time. Many tours and things to do are available if that's your bent. Very clean and well cared for.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

My family and I are very pleased with our stay at La Rosa de America. It was very quiet and we loved the garden atmosphere of the hotel. Carlos and Grisska helped us with everything we needed during our stay, especially that we brought our baby with us, and answered all our questions. They helps us with calling cabs for us to ordering food to keeping our leftover food in the fridge to giving us tips about touring the city. They went beyond their call of duty. The breakfast was excellent - hearty and very nutritious. Our room was always kept clean. The furniture were a tad bit outdated, but suited our needs just fine. At first, I thought that the fan would not be enough in the Costa Rican heat, but turned out to be perfect. The nights were cool enough that ACs were unnecessary. If there was anything we would have liked, it would be hot water in the sink so washing baby bottles would be easy. Hot water would be a good alternative to sterilizing.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver Island, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

We just spent 3 weeks in Costa Rica. After reading Trip Advisor, I decided that Hotel La Rosa de America would be the best choice for myself, my husband and another couple travelling with us. Robert and Alexandra were very helpful giving me information via email before we arrived. We stayed 3 nights upon our arrival. La Rosa is close to the airport...but not too close to hear all the planes come & go. We booked the 3 night package that included the volcano, rainforest and coffee plantation tour. Once there, we enjoyed a relaxing atomsphere and wonderful hospitality from the Owners Robert & Alexandra, their delightful and talented children and great staff. The breakfast included each morning was just what we needed to start our day. A boxed breakfast was supplied if we had to leave early for an excursion. Be sure to try the Banana bread made by Alexandra. (Robert tells me the recipe only works with C.R. bananas. LOL) Rooms were clean and staff very helpful and friendly. I felt so much like family, I almost asked Carlos if I could help in the kitchen, but that's just me. After 2 weeks away, we returned to La Rosa for another 3 days before we flew home. Robert was very helpful helping us decide on another 2 tours to take (at good prices too!) I felt like I was home when we were there. We met lots of different people from many countries staying there as well.. I would definitely stay at Hotel La Rosa de America again! I could go on & on about La Rosa but if you are heading to San Jose, CR, give La Rosa a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
santa rosa,ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We stayed here the night before our return. It is very convinient top the airport. However i would recommend this place as a base to explore the area. The grounds were beautiful and rooms clean. Staff was very helpful. Even though you are just off the main drag you feel secluded. And the price is right. A great value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!