“Fantastic place to eat, rest and sleep” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 30 hotels in Alajuela
Santa Monica
“Fantastic place to eat, rest and sleep”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Great service, delicious food and the location is fantastic... close to the airport and a great stopping point before driving up to the Rain Forest. Love this place! There is a beautiful pool and the grounds are lush and clean. We all felt very safe and welcomed here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience here. Upon arrival the owner (I can only assume as he never spoke to us) was engaged in an interview and without acknowledging us asked his staff to "take care of that outside', "that" referring to the checking in of a guest at his hotel. The second day he was at the reception desk when I went in to arrange a taxi and again did not say hello or even look at me. The following day when we were checking out he was in the reception area and didn't speak to me, say hello or ask how our stay was. I found it odd that he spent hours doing an interview talking about how wonderful his hotel was but showed no interest in a guest who had actually paid to come to his hotel. Fortunately, the staff were all wonderful! The hotel offers a chocolate and almond oil massage and it is well worth the $75.00! Many of the rooms have limited privacy, if you open your curtains anyone walking by or sitting at the pool can see into your room. There is wifi available in the rooms. The gardens are beautiful, however, the garbage piled up just inside the gate is the first smell you are greeted with. The food was mediocre and the bruschetta we ordered provided each of us with one piece. The reasons we chose the hotel was because we were told the tour we wanted would pick us up at our hotel and that was not the case, we had to take a taxi (at our expense) to another hotel where we would meet the bus for the tour. The hotel is close to the airport (about 15 minutes) but the area itself is sketchy. Overall I would not go back there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 5 days ago
I am shocked that you felt that the Hotel Ownership was systematically ignoring you. Please understand that this was not at all intentional or representative of any policy or custom at the hotel regarding guest relations. As the Owner of La Rosa personally responding to your TA review, I would like to take this opportunity to both assuage your feelings of being personally ignored by me, apologize for any potential impropriety and to confirm that this was not an intentional act. However, please understand that with over 10,000 guests per year at La Rosa, I am sometimes unable to personally greet every person during their stay.
La Rosa has a very strong policy of developing our staff to the maximum of their capability. I thank you for your recognition of this service capacity in our staff. The Hotel Ownership has developed a close bond and a trust relationship with the Hotel Staff... in particular our key staff that are bilingual and are expected to provide primary hospitality, meaningful assistance and services to our guests. As Owner, I rely heavily on their capability, friendliness and professionalism to help us meet all our guest's needs.
It is true that I was significantly preoccupied with a film crew at La Rosa during your stay. I relied on the highly trained La Rosa staff to conduct day to day operations and as you indicated, they did a terrific job. Please understand that in no way was I, as Owner, sacrificing your stay for personal glory in front of a camera. In fact, we were supporting an independent film company from Quebec, Canada in their efforts to create a travel documentary on Costa Rica - not specifically Hotel La Rosa de America. It is true that they shot hours of film at La Rosa - mostly to be used as background shots and background information for their documentary. For both La Rosa staff and I, we feel great pride to have been chosen as a flagship destination hotel within such a beautiful country and if we can assist Costa Rica with increased tourism from around the world, then we feel honoured to help.
I do not understand why you felt that the hotel provided tours directly from our gate when we wrote twice to you in emails indicating that we would be happy to offer free assistance in your desire to take a specific independent tour but that you would have to take a short taxi ride to a competitor hotel. The hotel was just down the street where the tour started, due to the tour company policy, not ours. These emails were sent and received well before our cancellation policy would have taken effect if you had desired to switch to a different hotel. If in fact the tour company informed you differently, then you were misled and I would strongly suggest you file a complaint with them as they are a major and completely independent company from La Rosa.
The garbage situation was a result of our numerous mango trees dumping thousands of mangoes over a two week period that our gardener dutifully picks up so guests don't slip on them. The municipal waste removal for which we pay, failed to remove the bags of mangoes for the week and so we were left with a much larger than normal pile in our storage area.
If at some point I was brusque when you arrived, please accept that I am not used to being on camera and I personally was not expecting your arrival almost four hours ahead of our check in time. I do note in hindsight that you had indicated you would be arriving earlier and our response was yes as long as you were understanding about hotel cleaning and preparation needs. We had no problem with your early arrival and I do believe our staff prepared your room as early as they could. I hope you felt this service to be satisfactory.
Please know that at any time you could have requested to talk to the Hotel Owner, even if just for a social moment! I do get this request frequently and very much enjoy the opportunity to talk to interesting people around the world. During your stay in fact I talked to a guest for two hours from Los Angles and in the process met her brother who lived just down the street! Also, as Owner, I take unseen quality control at the hotel very seriously. Shortly after your massage, which I am very glad you enjoyed, I arrived at the hotel even though it was well after supper to question our massage therapist Sharon, on how the treatment was. She indicated all was well and I am glad to see your confirmation of this. Quality from our service providers is very important to us.
Regarding your concern about Restaurante La Rosa, I regret that you found the food only mediocre and would welcome suggestions for improvement. I am at a loss however as to your expectation of the volume of food in an appetizer. Our bruschetta appetizer comes as two baked slices of French style bread with the appropriate topping on an appetizer plate. It is designed to be enjoyed as part of an entire meal. Of course, as a solo dish, it is also enjoyable but as an appetizer it is not designed to replace a main dish - especially if one is sharing it as you indicate.
Finally, La Rosa has been extremely carefully designed to maximize privacy for guests when compared to sleeping in a box chain or compact hotel. Less than 25% of the property has any structure on it. The rest is devoted to our gardens. Without exception, no window looks towards another window and all rooms have quality double layered curtains. That said, your cabin was situated nearest to the pool area with your window approximately seven metres (22 feet) from the edge of the pool deck. If this was too close for you we would have been happy to have moved you to a more secluded area of the hotel - space available. For us, it is very hard to know as in reality, being near to the pool is one of our most popular guest requests! Of course each guest is different.
To sum up, I do thank you for your honest feelings both positive and negative. There is always room for improvement - even for Owners and I will certainly re-read and consider everything that your review has to comment on. Thank you for your submission.
Ouray, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My wife and I stayed two days at this wonderful haven in the commotion of the San Jose area. The hotel is small, very clean, quiet, and the staff are attentive and responsing. Edwin runs the dining room and makes you feel welcome. He takes care of the guests and is interested in each person who stays at La Rosa. It is quiet, the grounds are beautiful and it is safe. The pool is clean and in good repair. Very serene environment. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
It was our pleasure to host you at La Rosa! Thank you for your complimentary review of our hotel. We will pass on your positive comments about our restaurant service to Edwin.
We work very hard to ensure the hotel grounds and overall property are represented as you describe so we appreciate your noticing and taking the time to let others know!
We hope you had a great trip to Costa Rica and we hope to see you again soon.
Central Oregon, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful and well kept gardens, rooms clean, comfortable and very cute. Lots of chairs to sit in, clean and refreshing pool and Edwin runs the kitchen/ dining area and is a great cook! Ask him for his special drink- the Edwin Special- it's wonderful! Coffee/tea is available by the pool early in the morning before breakfast. You can walk to the small local zoo- Zoo Ave, which has really nice exhibits, is clean and all shaded. Please note that entrance fee is twice that of the locals , which I think is a bit unfair and could cause foreign visitors to stay away. You can also walk down the street to local eateries.
I would advise you to communicate clearly on price for taxis and transportation. I had a group of 7 and made arrangements well in advance for transportation for the group to Sarchi and was told the taxi fare would be $20 round trip - total. When we returned the driver told me the cost was $150!!! I had copies of all email correspondence between me and the hotel that clearly showed me asking if that If the $20 was the total for my group they repeatedly said yes. They shrugged their shoulders and said sorry, that they meant it was $20 per person. It put a real damper on the travel budget and otherwise nice stay. I felt they should have honored their quote and paid the driver themselves, but I didn't want to be one of those ugly American tourists.

Room Tip: Make sure you communicate your needs
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for the review of our hotel and your kind comments about our grounds, rooms and staff. We will let Edwin know about your comments, as our Restaurant server, he takes is social responsibilities very seriously and obviously enjoys being around people. We are lucky to have him and his depth of experience in our service!
We understand your feelings about double pricing at some institutions. ZooAve uses the higher tourist fee to help subsidize the cost for locals - especially local children coming from schools. So it may be a frustration, but at least the money is going to a good cause - at least in the case of ZooAve.
Please accept our apologies regarding the confusion with a transfer to Sarchi and back. We regret any communication issue that may have existed in this case regarding the $20 per person v/s $20 total charge issue. Hotel La Rosa is not an authorized travel agency and though we try to assist guests as best we can, we do not accept any payment or benefit from any of these service providers and they are not affiliated with the hotel. We simply pass on the information that we have been given free of charge on behalf of the guest and the guest remains responsible for booking conditions and payments with any company they decide to use. That said, we pride ourselves on our ability to assist guests with their travel plans and consider it one of the cornerstones of our success. We make every effort to ensure accuracy and we try to recommend the best service providers that we can given the guest preferences.

Notwithstanding the above situation, we deeply appreciate your desire to also recognize the many positives that you list in your review! If you are return to Costa Rica again soon, we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at the hotel!
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've stayed at this hotel 4 itimes and just love it. It's small, very clean, quiet, and the staff are attentive to your every need. Edwin runs the dining room and makes you feel welcome. He is a sweetheart and I always look forward to seeing him. He takes care of the guests and is interested in each person who stays at La Rosa.
This is a great hotel for families or singles. It is quiet, the grounds are beautiful and it is safe. The pool is clean and in good repair. There is a pot of fresh, delicious coffee out by the pool or the front porch by 6am so you can drink your coffee while watching the butterflies among the flowers. Very serene environment.
I will not stay anywhere else and recommend it highly.

Cindy from Texas

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Repeat guests are always very important to us. Thank you for your loyalty! We are glad that we are able to meet and hopefully exceed your needs each and every time that you stay with us!
Our server is a very important part of our staff, and his experience is valued by us in both providing excellent service in Restaurante La Rosa, but also in helping to lead the younger employees and provide the "glue" between the Restaurant and the Hotel. We will definitely pass on your respects to him.
We have recently increased our coffee service. Now we also can provide various steamed options as well... from Espresso, to Mochas, Lattes etc... These are available any time after 6 am or so.
We look forward to seeing you back at La Rosa many more times. Thank you again for your review!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My family consisting of my wife and two children stayed at the hotel on 06-29-2014 overnight. The stay was wonderful. The staff was great and very attentive. They even had a night watchman patrolling the grounds after hours. I felt very safe and comfortable during our stay. The only noise that I experienced during our stay was from the cheers of fans during and after the Costa Rica victory during the World Cup Soccer match which they won. We had food delivered from Cheris Bar Restaurant located near by. The food was good. No complaints on Cheris Bar Restaurant either. The children, one a teen and the second 9 years old were both completely occupied by the beautiful clean pool on the hotel grounds. I do plan to stay at Hotel La Rosa de America again as soon as possible.

Thanks

Van Clarke

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We look forward to seeing you again at La Rosa in the near future! It is always pleasing for us to see the children enjoying our pool area especially now that we have all new furniture, chairs, recliners, sun shade etc.
The World Cup for Costa Rica is now over. Exceptional showing however for the country considering its size. This was why you heard so much cheering. The whole country almost came unstuck when their National Team beat three former World champions!!
We are glad you enjoyed the food at the local restaurants. Maybe when you return, you can try some of the fare from our new Restaurante La Rosa to compare! It would be out pleasure to introduce you to our new restaurant offerings.
Thank you for your review! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Pura Vida!
Maidenhead, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

La Rosa de America is a small hotel in the suburbs of Alajuela, ideally situated for Juan Santamaría airport which is some 15 minutes away. The hotel is not very easy to find and may not be in the most salubrious area but this is of no consequence once you pass through the gates and enter this lovely property. The villas are set around the perimeter and are not overlooked. We were lucky to be accommodated in villa 15, which is one of two new villas set away from the main area of the hotel which provided seclusion and tranquillity. The room was spotlessly clean with new bathroom befitting a modern home and with the luxury of a bath. Each villa is decorated with roses around the doors and windows providing delightful individuality. The pool is a good size and is clean and well maintained.
The gardens are the piece de résistance of this property. The gardener tends his plants with expertise and tender loving care. He welcomes your interest and is happy to show you around. At the time of our visit the orange blossom and gardenia were in bloom providing a heavenly perfume in the evening after the daily showers. He even picked some flowers for me to have in the room. The garden centres on the main road are well worth a visit just to see the amazing variety of healthy plants. There are many birds to keep you occupied when sitting under the veranda of your villa.
All members of staff were courteous and helpful. One young man in particular who spoke excellent English took time to chat and exchange experiences from around the world. He also gave us tips on the local area. The breakfast was plentiful but not spectacular.
The local restaurants are okay but if you have your own car then it is worth taking a five minute drive to Aroz con Mango restaurant on the main road to the left. This has a good choice of dishes and the restaurant overlooks a ravine. It is also reasonably priced.
I do not think I would change anything about this hotel. It is extremely good value. Having spent time in the rainforest it was nice to return to a comfortable bed, AC, TV and free Wifi.

Room Tip: 15 or 16 for privacy
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Detailed reviews such as yours are a great help to travellers around the World and also to business Owners seeking to know what is being done well vs what needs improvement. Thank you for taking the time to write in such detail!
Of course we are glad that you found us! Sadly, most car agencies and taxis direct people through the town of Alajuela which is confusing for everyone as there are no street names instead of down the highway which is a much easier route. For any future guests, please do consult our website location page for printable directions to our hotel.
We are very proud of our gardens and we are glad that you enjoyed them. We will pass on your comments about our staff.
As we speak, they are actually re-paving the main road. Hopefully that will make walking easier on the road sides... and driving too!
Thank you again for your review. We hope your trip to Costa Rica was everything you hoped it would be!

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!