“Nice hotel pleasant staff highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Tel Aviv
“Nice hotel pleasant staff highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in our first and last days in Costa Rica, the hotel is very close to the airport rooms are very nice, clean and pleasant, staff very pleasant, helpful and give you the feeling of a family hotel. We enjoyed the hotel and staff very much, the place is highly recommended

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We enjoyed hosting you at La Rosa! We appreciate our returning guests very much! Talking with you about your trip and even places in Israel was interesting. I hope you had a great (if long) flight home! Thank you for your multiple stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here on our first and last days in Costa Rica. The 'hotel' consists of chalets set in a small but well-laid out tropical garden. Rooms (S1 and 8) were adequately sized and clean with comfortable beds. Hot water in the shower, reliable toilets (not always the case in CR) and a good restaurant. No A/C (we had two cool nights), but a good room fan. A nice, clean pool which we didn't use.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello again! Thank you not only your very positive review but for being our guest twice! Repeat guests are very important to us. We are glad you enjoyed our Restaurante La Rosa. It is new for the current high season and is proving quite popular with guests.
Our Superior Rooms have A/C. We don't offer it in our Standard Rooms in an effort to provide greater price options for our guests. As you indicated in your note, seldom is it needed in the climate that La Rosa enjoys.
We hope you had a great vacation and we thank you for including us in your travel arrangements! Hope to see you soon.
Pensacola, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I did all the planning for my trip to Costa Rica on my own. As a lone traveler with no concept of the lay out of the land, neighborhoods, and the like, it is always touch and go when I've arrived at some places. I had never been to Costa Rica -- and Spanish? I know none except a few words. Colones? My gosh...the translating of that in my head after a long 2 days of travel blew my mind. Amanda was so helpful to me on my first day there. She was so warm, friendly, and helped me out with teaching me about colones and the exchange. I won't say I mastered it by any means, can't create a miracle in my math challenged brain....but she did give me a helpful hints which helped out tremendously.

I was taken aback by the beauty of the grounds. One always sees the marketing pictures of a property -- and more often than not, there is disappointment. This hotel was my first choice based off the internet description and pictures. I happened to find it after hours upon hours of research. It was actually quite by mistake I came across this hotel name. When I arrived, I was transported into a paradise. It felt so tropical and peaceful. So much so that I elected to stay at the hotel for a full day just to listen to the birds sing while looking out at the beautiful landscape. The shower took some getting used to, but I did master that by the time I left. I loved the fact that I had my own outside entrance and a chair on my porch just to sit and enjoy the outdoors.

Taxis come quick if needed. Amanda even scheduled one of my tours from top to bottom...getting me booked and arranging for the taxi to pick me up the next morning. That is great customer service!

The breakfasts were delicious -- my favorite being the fresh fruit. And the one dinner I had there, Chifrijo,....I would love to get the recipe. I have wanted it again ever since. I think I would have gotten the appetizer version had I known it would be so plentiful. I sadly could not finish it all.

Julio, a maintenance worker, was very friendly. He took the time to talk with me and was interested in the adventures I did throughout the day. He really made me feel welcomed in a strange place. And to be fair, all that I came into contact with were very friendly. I think it comes from the top down. While my interactions with the owners, Alexandra and Robert, were primarily through email (which solidified for me I made a good choice), I was treated with kindness each time. Even more so when I was unexpectedly delayed in Houston causing me to miss a whole day-and-half in Costa Rica. Furthermore, I listened as Robert spent a fair amount of time assisting one of his guests who came down to purchase something. He did research, talked with a contact, and then discussed his findings with the guest. Amazing! I don't know that Disney World even does that.

I am so grateful I stumbled upon this hotel in my research. I don't think I could have made a better choice. It is kind of out of the mainstream so it is quiet and there are restaurants within walking distance, but if looking for the sounds of the city, this place isn't in the thick of it all. I was also concerned that my room didn't have a/c given the temps were going to be in the mid-80s -- but I didn't need the a/c. I was completely comfortable with the windows open and the ceiling fan. It also took me two days to realize I didn't have a phone in my room...PERFECT.

The pictures on the web page do not do justice of the beauty and serenity that one feels here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Haha! Getting used to the Colon exchange rate can, well take a while. Knocking off the three zeros and multiplying the remainder by 2 will get you close to the equivalent in USD! I am very glad to hear that Amanda was of so much help to you. Thank you for letting us know. We always ensure our staff is informed about online comments such as yours.
We are very glad that you experienced everything as it should be! Fast taxis, property photos that actually represent reality, great tours, and that you so enjoyed our gardens and property. Thank you for taking the time to let us know! Our staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work is paying off. We hope to see you again in Costa Rica soon! Florida really isn't very far away!
South Rockwood, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My third trip to Costa Rica- and I've learned (after 66 years -and much travel), it's important to have a good night's rest before and after a long air flight for you and your entourage. La Rosa is the perfect place to stay after arrival, and before trekking about the countryside. A $15 van (arranged by the hotel) gets you to La Rosa de America from the airport with all your bags and companions- they'll even have arrange a driver who has your name on a placard meet you after clearing customs. If you rent a car, don't try to find your way around without a GPS. Street signs don't exist- and traffic rules are questionable.
Nice pool, no traffic noise and fumes, clean rooms, great staff, computer for your use, occasional exotic birds, beverages and meals available, fantastic gardens and breakfast included= its a no brainer. GARDENIAS! You can't stay at any Holiday Inn for what La Rosa charges. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Splurge- get a bigger room for the few extra 10 or 20 bucks, you're on vacation! For a few extra...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
We agree completely regarding the need for a good night sleep after plane travel or again before getting on a plane! We are glad to have meet your expectations in this regard!
We like Gardenias too - we call them perfume on a stick!
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much appreciate the feedback and the fact that you found everything to your satisfaction!
Hope to see you again in Costa Rica soon!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel came highly recommended to me...and it didn't disappoint. The rooms were modest and clean. The pool area and gardens are wonderful. The food is also wonderful. Like every hotel in Costa Rica, the WiFi doesn't seem to be available beyond the reception and the closest rooms to it. However, this is a very small quibble.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Robert_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Recommended guests are so important to our business! Fully 20% of our guests are recommendations from past guests! We are very happy to have fulfilled both your expectations and that of the guest who recommended you!
We have been working at length with our Technical Support Contractor to create a more comprehensive WIFI at La Rosa. Normally most cabinas have good signal on their covered porches and about 70% have good signal inside the rooms. Because Hotel La Rosa is built to withstand the potential of a heavy earthquake - 8 or more, it is made of steel reinforced concrete - the perfect construction to break WIFI signals. We are currently pursuing a system that will simply beam the signal through the windows of the rooms. We hope to have this system on line soon.
We are very happy that you enjoyed our new Restaurant so much. It has only been open a short time and is primarily being run by La Rosa employees as a reward for their hard work in the past. Many of the staff have interest in, but absolutely no business experience so we felt that with La Rosa providing the opportunity and oversight this would allow the staff the chance to test their capabilities. It also allowed for two extra full time jobs for families in the La Garita area. It is gratifying to see our guests enjoying the experience!
Thank you for your review and the time you took to provide feedback to future travelers!
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed 2 nights, flying in from Europe. As arranged for by the hotel, the driver was waiting for us @the airport (so no hassle with taxi drivers, and yes, maybe we paid a couple of bucks more, but that was well worth it).
The hotel itself has got nice and clean rooms, a decent pool and is conveniently close to everything. The staff is really nice, the restaurant ok, but there are many places around where you can eat. We would recommend it to anyone who doesn't need or want to go into SJ.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel! We appreciate your comments.
We offer the private shuttle service in significant part due to the predations of may of the taxis at the airport. Our private meet and greet service costs $15.00 whereas an official taxi will cost between $14 and $16 normally and a non-official taxi will cost whatever random amount they feel like if it is not firmly per-negotiated. We are glad that you benefited from this service that Hotel La Rosa provides on an 100% at cost pricing.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at La Rosa, and that you enjoyed eating at Restaurante La Rosa as well. You are absolutely correct that there are a number of other local cuisine options - many perfect for lunch as most close quite early.
We were happy to host you! I hope you had a good flight back to France!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you're thinking of going to Costa Rica and you are landing in San Jose, La Rosa should be your first stop in the country. He staff is incredibly helpful and will help you navigate the whole country and plan your trip, especially if you are short on time there. The weather is perfect in the area, neither too cold or too hot so it's also a good place to stay for a week or so and lounge by the pool which is very often deserted during the day.

The rooms are very clean and you will not find ants and other bugs inside, which we were definitely happy about. The grounds are very well-kept and the flowers and trees are beautiful. The rooms are very cute and cozy.

The restaurant: I am a vegetarian, so I did not necessarily expected to be catered to... but I was! The food was great and very well-priced! You will find many overpriced restaurant in Costa Rica, this is not one of them.

Basically, we found this hotel was a gem and a wonderful place to stay a few days!

• Stayed January 2013
It was our pleasure hosting you at La Rosa for the majority of your stay in Costa Rica! I hope that our recommendations for things to do and see allowed you to really enjoy the countryside while using us as a home base!
I am glad that our new restaurant was able to easily meet your desires for vegetarian choices and that you found the prices and quality correct!
I hope that your car started in the minus 30 temp you were going home to! Yikes.
I am glad to have met you in Costa Rica and hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!