“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Ontario
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This was my second trip to Costa Rica and this hotel was number one on my list of places to return to. I will not go through all of the things that are repeated through all of the reviews: friendly staff, beautiful atmosphere, safe and secure, as I think this is well established. Instead I will mention some of the less commonly noted things.

The weather in this area of Costa Rica is much more consistent and reliable than other parts of the country. I always want to go and see the other parts of the country but seem to be happiest here, where I consider to be "home base".

When visiting other hotels I realized that the beds provided leave much to be desired; I was quite comfortable at La Rosa. I understand they are upgrading some of the rooms to include air conditioning; however, i did not feel it was necessary as it cools off to be a comfortable temperature in the evenings.

They serve butter with breakfast, not Costa Rican margarine (which tastes nothing like margarine we have here in Canada, it tastes awful!). The complimentary breakfast is a basic breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, variety of cereal, variety of fruit, some meats and cheese and banana bread. This was just enough for me to rotate what I ate each day and not become tired of the food.

The hotel staff let me treat their hotel like home; they provided me with a wine opener to use, allowed me to borrow extra glasses, let me reheat my leftover food from an outside restaurant in their microwave etc. They even allowed me to borrow a cooler to keep my drinks cold by the pool!

I truly felt welcomed as part of the family at this hotel, noted by all of the staff remembering me when I returned after a week of traveling around the country and climbing Cerro Chirripo (the highest mountain in Costa Rica). Oh, and the staff here also helped me make reservations to climb this mountain well in advance of my trip (they only allow 40 climbers per day so you must book months in advance).

The owner was in the process of upgrading various features of the rooms and asked me if I had any suggestions for improvements, I mentioned a hook to hang my clothes on in the bathroom would be nice, and sure enough they installed a towel rack the very next day!

I don't know what else to say other than you simply must visit this hotel and see for yourself. They won't claim to be perfect, but if a problem is brought to their attention they will do their very best to find and implement a solution.

Hope to see you there as I plan to return to this hotel for the third time! :)

Room Tip: I stayed in Cabin 4, it was lovely.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, February 11, 2012
Hello Flash Traveller! Thank you for your glowing and detailed review of our property! Also, thank you for being a return guest. We appreciate the loyalty you have shown to return to our Costa Rican Airport Hotel after a two year period away!
I have to laugh at your observation of the margarine. I'm sure it is a personal preference thing but I happen to agree 100% with you. That is why we won't even cook with it in Restaurante La Rosa. Generally one gets what one pays for and local margarine is very cheap.
You are welcome for the extra towel holder that was put in your cabin at your request. We actually had the original one on hand that was removed when the cabin was modernized and so we just had to put it back! No problem!
We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your second trip to Costa Rica, including the incredible Cerro Chirripo Climb and we look forward to whenever the next time is that you wish to return! It was our pleasure to help in your trip plans!
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stayed here our first and last night of our Costa Rica vacation. Beautiful grounds, nice room, 15-20 minutes from the airport, and very friendly staff. And a good price. Highly recommend this hotel. Have dinner at Chery's around the corner.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our Costa Rica Airport Hotel! It always makes us happy to know that a guest has returned to us at the end of their trip after using our hotel as their entry to the country. We very much appreciate your loyalty to our hotel!
We believe that we give exceptional value for services to our guests when compared to the competition. To be recognized for doing so means we are "on track" with this effort - thank you.
Again, thank you for your review, your recognition of our staff's friendliness and your loyalty to be a return guest to Hotel La Rosa!
Orford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed there with our 3 girls and my mom before she left for Canada (we are still here for 3 months) and had a family suite that was perfect for us. The furniture and bathroom is a bit old, but all was clean (and smelled pretty strongly of cleaners...). The pool was pretty cold adn breakfast was really average, but it was quiet at night and near the airport like we wanted. We did not eat at the hotel for dinner (they offer a fixed menu at a fixed price), but went 5 km West to La casona del Maiz and had a wonderfully tasty (and cheap!) Tico dinner with great ambiance! The next day we had lunch at Restaurante Mirian (comidas tipicas) even closer to the hotel and the food was great (the best arroz con pollo and beef empenadas we had ever had!).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for your review of Hotel La Rosa de America. We appreciate the time you took to write in to us! We are glad you found our hotel ideal for families. We have worked to ensure La Rosa is safe, secure and suitable for families with children.
Cleanliness and Sleep Quality are two of our most important standards with which we measure our success. To fail in either, suggests we are not delivering a suitable product. We are glad you found both to be exceptional.
We feel that you were looking for something different with respect to our restaurant fare. We appreciate that all guests have different tastes. In our opinion, the many different points of view from guests is what make this business so interesting! For example, last year, Hotel La Rosa hosted guests from 121 different countries!! Our breakfast selection is designed to appeal to the greatest number of guests from a multitude of different backgrounds. Our new Restaurante La Rosa offers primarily Italian pasta choices for supper for the same reason. However, we are actively studying customer responses and as a result, we will be adding local Tipico options to the menu as well starting Feb 6th 2012. Our Supper Restaurant is still very new and we are still refining the menu to best suit guest desires!
We are glad you were able to find exactly what you were looking for in some of the local restaurants nearby. As you indicate, there is plenty of choice in our area for Comidas Tipicas (local food) - in our opinion, one of the strengths of our location!
Again thank you for your review! We are glad that your family enjoyed staying with us at La Rosa!
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I began and ended my first trip to Costa Rica at Hotel La Rosa de American and highly recommend it! Our plane arrived late on the night of November 25 - around 11 pm, which meant we were arriving at the hotel after it had closed for the night. One of the great bonuses of this hotel is its close proximity to the airport. It was a quick cab ride to the hotel after a long flight and this was a great relief! Upon arriving to the hotel, we were instantly greeted by a very friendly security guard and escorted to our room. The security guard was sure to carry our luggage to the room, he insisted on it. He gave us a complete rundown of our room as well as office hours, breakfast hours and provided us with the wireless internet password so that we could email our families that we had arrived safely in Costa Rica. This was a wonderful way to start our vacation! I felt very welcomed to this hotel.

The room we stayed in was very clean and quite cozy. It had everything we needed for a wonderful stay at this hotel.

This hotel offers a buffet breakfast with a variety of fruits, cheese, meats, cereals and eggs. My favourite however was the banana bread - it is absolutely delicious and a must try while staying at this hotel. This breakfast offered a great variety for those that are picky eaters and allowed me to have a great boost to my day. Not to mention, on the way in each morning, we were greeted by all the staff members, which is a pleasant way to start your day!

I was very excited to see the hotel the next day in sunlight as I had heard great things about its beautiful gardens and inviting atmosphere. I was not let down. The gardens on this property are very well kept, offering a variety of different plants to please ones eye. There are many bright and beautiful flowers to look at. These vibrant gardens offer a peaceful atmosphere. You can clearly tell that this hotel takes a lot of pride in creating a relaxing atmosphere that is both beautiful and serene.

The staff we encountered were all very welcoming and cheerful. There was not one day that went by that I was not greeted pleasantly. It was evident that the staff at this hotel not only took pride in working at this hotel, but were really interested in making your stay there as comfortable and easy as possible. The staff of the front desk helped us to arrange an excursion white water rafting and arranged a cab to come and pick us up when we moved on to another hotel. This made my vacation much less stressful. This hotel definitely excels at answering your travel questions and arranging details of your trip (such as excursions, transportation etc.) so that it can be as leisurely, stress free and as organized as possible. If you have questions - ask! They're willing to help - whether it be the owner, manager, cleaning or maintenance staff! We managed to get a chance to speak to the owner personally while staying at this hotel and he was also very pleasant, helpful and has put a great effort in to his hotel. He was sure to take any suggestions we had to help make this great hotel even better. The staff of this hotel are definitely like one big happy family!

When we returned to this hotel for the last two night of our stay in CR, they had just launched an new dinner restaurant - "La Rosa". The menu offered an italian style menu. The meal typically started with bruschetta, offered a pasta dish with your choice in sauce, meat etc and ended with a desert dish. We dined here both nights and were not let down. The bruschetta was to die for and the pasta dishes offered a tasty dish that reminded me of home. It was very comforting and I would strongly recommend trying this dinner menu if it is available when you're there.

Overall, this was a fabulous stay. I strongly recommend this hotel for your stay in CR, whether it be the beginning or end of your vacation, or to stay there for your trip. You won't regret it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed and flattering review of our Costa Rica Airport Hotel. We very much appreciate your recognition of our efforts and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!
We will ensure that our Reception and Night Staff get the opportunity to read your review. They take great interest in their online report cards!
We will also forward your comments to our kitchen staff. Our restaurant is very new and so, positive feedback such as yours is of great help to us as we embark on this new guest service!
Returning guests to La Rosa are for us, an expression that we are getting it right. Moreover, guests who return to Costa Rica, in part to simply revisit us at La Rosa are very valuable to us! We hope that you will return again to Costa Rica soon and visit us here! Then you can see all the ongoing changes that we are currently implementing!
Again, thank you for your glowing review of La Rosa! Hope to see you again in Costa Rica soon!
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

i enjoyed my stay here at hotel la rosa. the staff was nice and made sure we had a positive experience with them. the first night we stayed in cabin two, which i believe had a regular shower, or at least i had no problem using it. there were some dogs barking in the area, but they stop after a while (not the hotels fault), we just made sure to have the windows shut in the bedroom and bathroom. the night we arrived it was really windy and our door kept shaking, but i was so tired from travel that i passed out anyways. breakfast was nice, a good mixture of things, fruit, eggs, ham, bread roll, banana bread (yum!), coffee, and orange juice.
we had a scheduled pick up from our car rental place that didn't arrive on time, and we were able to use their computer and phone to try and contact them. the staff allowed us to stay on the premises until our shuttle arrived (an hour late!), which was nice because we sat by the pool, and i got to walk around and look at all the beautiful foliage.
the last night we arrived early evening, and received room one...which was missing a television? which in the end didn't matter because we had to wake up early for a flight. it was just strange that our last room had it and this one didn't. the power kept going off, thankfully the alarm had a back up, but we couldnt really tell why it was happening in just our little sector of the property. we were also told that they would bring us a bagged breakfast for the morning, but no one came to our room that night. when we woke up for our flight the bag was waiting for us outside our door. la rosa was nice and scheduled a taxi to pick us up early to bring us to the airport.
i would definitely advise la rosa to update their pamphlet! especially for the restaurant. we would have loved to try it out but i wasn't feeling well, and knew nothing about what was on the menu. overall i had a very good experience and would recommend staying here

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review of La Rosa! We are happy that you and our banana bread became well acquainted! It was no problem to give you a late check-out. We understand that the sometimes less than punctual service delivery of other agencies not associated with La Rosa can be a frustration.
Please allow us to apologize for the lack of a TV in Cabin 1. You are absolutely correct, normally there is one. However, a guest had just dropped a TV (who knows why) and as a result, the picture was scrambled. The TV was deemed unrepairable, and so we had to get a temporary replacement - we just were unable to get it in time for your stay. We are planning to replace the existing TV's in the new Superior Rooms with Flat Screen TVs however this will not be possible for about another month. Until that time, most rooms will still have the smaller old style TVs.
Normally Costa Rica experiences very little in the way of wind. However for about a 2 week period at the end of January, strong outflow winds are common throughout the Central Valley. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about these winds except constantly keep the pool clean and insure we have options available in case of an interruption in power. Fortunately the electrical provider is becoming more and more capable in providing reliable power to it's customers.
We are glad that our services worked for you and you got your breakfast Go-Bag, and your transfers. Thank you for reminding us about our in Room Pamphlet. The only reason more detail is not included about our restaurant is because the menu is still in flux. As soon as we tailor it most specifically to guest needs, we will get those books updated! In the mean time we are providing menus at reception.
Thank you again for your comments! We appreciate both your praise and your points for improvement.
Maple Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel and everything was amazing very beautiful gardens. Waking the singing of the birds was wonderful addition to the spectacular breakfast we had.

I recommend this hotel for people who want to spend a spectacular night.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We appreciate the time you took to write back to us! We are pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast so much and even more importantly, our morning La Rosa bird choir cooperated for your further enjoyment!! The revitalization of our Gardens has actually attracted a lot of new bird life, butterflies, and hummingbirds and so we are happy to see guests like yourself enjoying these new members of our La Rosa family!
Again, thank you for taking the time to write us publicly. We appreciate your review.
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is the fourth time that the Cornell Wind Ensemble (@48 students) has stayed here as part of our performing and service-learning tours. It's proximity to the airport, friendly and accommodating staff, and secure and beautiful grounds make it a must when we visit. My only complaint would be the barking dogs late at night and early morning...but that's Costa Rica!

Room Tip: The Suites are nice and far enough away from the pool so the noise is minimal. There is also a room...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
As always, it is a great experience for us to host Cornell Winds. The first time we did so in 2008 we were pretty concerned about a group so large however now with our expansion it's no problem!
We are proud to be one of your anchor hotels each time you visit Costa Rica. We are honoured that so many Cornell students, upon coming back to La Rosa at the end of the trip called us Their Home in Costa Rica.
All the La Rosa staff very much respect and appreciate the benefit work your group does for promoting musical education here in Costa Rica. Both my manager and I were very happy to have the opportunity to attend your Gala concert this year in Santa Ana!
In regards to the dogs, we have stepped up our campaign to train the owners, as to us, it is their mindset we need to change. The rest will follow. Also, in select rooms, we are installing air-conditioning, This will allow guests to close windows. Our area is very quiet and and as a result any sharp noise can seem magnified.
Again, hosting Cornell is our pleasure! We hope to see you again in 2014!

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!