“Secure, quiet and nice garden” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Quebec
“Secure, quiet and nice garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We started our 3-weeks travel in Costa Rica with our two boys (nearly 5 and 6 1/2 years old) at La Rosa de America.

We took a family room, large enough but no-fuss. The garden was a nice place for the kids to run around after the flights!

We booked our tours with the owner, and his advices were perfect. We wanted something flexible and that is exactly what we had.

The room was very clean and spacious, but lacks a bit of modernity that should come with this price range I honestly think. It seems that the owner is doiing work on the property every year, so it should improve.

The new restaurant is a nice addition for newly arrived travellers, even if the good local restaurants are not more than 10 minutes walk away. Their included breakfast is very good, and the boys loved their banana bread (and our tour guides too!!).

A very good choice instead of the international brands hotels around the San Jose Airport.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
We are happy to have had the opportunity to host you in La Rosa! We take our role of the First introduction to Costa Rica for many guests very seriously!
Offering advice and suggestions for your trip was a pleasure. There is so much to do and see in Costa Rica, way more than the small size of this country would suggest! It is our hope that each of our guests has a great trip!
In regards to our furniture, you are correct, we are constantly upgrading and improving things. We are currently in the process of creating superior cabins for guests who wish to spend a little more for upgraded facilities including Egyptian cotton sheets and air conditioning.
Thank you for recognizing our new Restaurante La Rosa! Our kitchen staff have worked very hard to develop this restaurant into a successful addition to our Hotel services. We are very glad you enjoyed your experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

As tired travelers, we were greeted with a kind and warm welcome at Hotel La Rosa. Our flight was two hours late due to an electrical storm; however, the driver was at the airport awaiting our arrival. to transport us to our hotel. He shared many wonderful facts about the area and was eager to share life experiences. We were so pleased with his service that we requested him to take us to the airport the next morning. The charge was $15.00 one-way for two passengers.
There is a huge rush at the airport when people are arriving and hard to know which service to accept. We were glad that we made arrangements a head of time so that we just listened to hear our name called.
After we checked in and taken our room, we opted to use the computer in the lobby to check emails. The receptionist, Maria knew that we were hungry and thirsty. Without hestitation, a tray appeared with coffee for my husband and tea for me with the most wonderful homemade banana bread. From our first two experiences, we knew right away that Costa Rica would offer us the "Good Life." Our bed was fine and the hot shower even better plus we were able to see some of the Sunday night football game.
Do plan to be here during the daylight hours to tour the beautiful gardens and enjoy the pool. We also had a very nice and informative discussion with the owner, Robert Hick. Very impressed that he supports a book program to encourage education. The other staff member that we met was Grisska Elizondo who made sure that we had a breakfast of jjuice, fruit and banana bread to take with us since we were departing before the breakfast hours. Regret that we missed breakfast in a pleasant and quaint diningroom. However, coffee is provided outside the main office.
Would we recommend this hotel? Yes, we would because you start out with the wonderful culture of Costa Rica. We ,ade our reservation through Anywhere Costa Rica which handled everything very well.

Room Tip: All rooms face the gardens and pool. This is a one-story hotel with the parking lot on the other s...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a response to us! We are glad you found our Private Airport Service Pickup to be of benefit! Sometimes the wall of people standing at the exit of the Arrivals area at the airport can be a bit intimidating without a friendly face to greet you!
Our staff very much appreciate the online recognition they receive from travellers such as yourselves. In fact our Reception and Cleaning Staff follow quite closely how they are received by guests and of course, comments left such as yours make a big impact on their job satisfaction!
Our book donation project has been highly successful with almost 5,000 books donated to seven schools. It is your support that makes this possible, so the appreciation should go to our guests for taking the time to donate!
Thank you for recommending us! Our repeat and word of mouth guests are a significant and extremely important part of our business! We are glad you had a great stay!
Liberia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I went to stay at this hotel because I have some family that live in Texas and they came to visit me from there. I am originally from Costa Rica and I live 4 hours away from the Alajuela province and since they arrived at the Alajuela airport, we decided to meet at this hotel that is very close by. When I got there the first thing I thought was: " Nice place". When you first enter you can see the green garden and how everthing looks so detailed and clean. It is a small place but it had warm feeling like home. The receptionist, Grisska, was so nice and sweet she even said they were waiting for me and gave me the room key and took me to it. I am usually very picky about hotel rooms specially with the bed sheets because I have had bad expericences in the past, but when I first entered the room I was impressed by how clened the room was and it had a nice smell. I slept like a baby that day and I even dare to say that I slept better than at my own bed at home!!!!! Next day I spent some time with my family at the pool and it was nice and sunny area but I could still go under the trees if I wanted some shade. I loved the vegetation and it made me feel a lot of peace. And what is even better about this place is that is close to everything. We didn´t have a car so it was easy to get a cab and move around. From the hotels I`ve stayed in my own country I can honestly say. This is the best one!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
It is always nice to receive reviews from people living in Costa Rica! Thank you for taking the time! We are very happy that you received the type of experience with which we have been working to achieve for the past five years. It is very important to us that guests not only like their room, or the service, or the pool but they actually feel at home with all aspects of their stay with us! For a San Jose Airport Hotel, receiving recognition for our green surroundings and ambiance is key to our La Rosa Difference as we want guests to be truly able to relax after a long international flight to Costa Rica.
We will ensure that our cleaning staff and hotel manager are made aware of your kind comments.
Gladstone, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

I went with three other friends, and we had a room big enough to sleep all of us, plus another two or three people if we wanted. The room was spotless, and the grounds are meticulous, including a beautiful garden and pool. No AC, but it wasn't really needed. The staff was beyond accommodating, helping us with travel plans, and making an early breakfast for us on our departure day (breakfast is included every day). The neighborhood is safe, quiet, and walkable, at least by Costa Rican standards. The zoo and a butterfly garden is just down the street. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to recognize the hard work of the staff at La Rosa. Our staff take their role of personally welcoming guests to Costa Rica very seriously and they very much appreciate guest recognition through forums such as this.

Over the years, we have worked hard to gain the confidence of guests who prefer local, knowledgeable assistance with travel planning. We feel this helps set us apart from the "big" competition. Again, your recognition of these efforts reinforces our belief that we are on the "right track".

Through our hotel manager, we will ensure that the remaining hotel staff get an opportunity to read your review. Thank you again for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel La Rosa!
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I ended our honeymoon here. There is no AC not a problem, but you need to leave the windows open and there is no source of white noise. This becomes a problem when the guest next door keeps you up all night with drunken loud banter. We could not call the desk because there was no phone in the room and there was no one at the desk after 9. Of coarse a belligerent guest is out of their control however it was disappointing to end our relaxing vacation with a night like that. Location is right near the airport which is very convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
We appreciate your review about our hotel, services and sleep quality. Thank you for your recognition of the benefits of La Rosa, the location and the fact that your specific concern was not a direct failing of the hotel.
Regardless we are saddened to learn that you did not receive a good nights sleep due to the activities of another guest in the cabina next to yours. Our night staff reported these guests to management the next morning in their nightly report. They will not be welcome back to Hotel La Rosa. Due to the "nature" of their nocturnal disturbances, our night staff felt that to interfere, would result in a very awkward situation. Situations like this are extremely rare at La Rosa as we like to get to know our guests via email prior to their arrival.
It is unfortunate you were unaware of our 24 hour concierge staff. It is true that our Reception area closes for the night, however just outside Reception we have a trained, English and Spanish speaking concierge/security person who you would have been most welcome to talk to.
We are planning to offer air conditioning to the two cabinas mentioned in this review. This should help with both the lack of white noise, and with the ability to close the windows and block out any unwanted noise. We are hoping to have this project completed by the end of January.
Again, please accept our regrets for a situation that was unfortunate, but unusual in the extreme for Hotel La Rosa.
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa de America a total of four nights, at the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. The hotel is about fifteen minutes from the San Jose airport, located in a quiet area among colorful plant nurseries, and lets you avoid the major traffic problems that the capital presents. La Rosa is clean, attractive, well managed, has a complete breakfast, but maybe what we appreciated most is its friendly and knowledgeable staff. They went to great lengths to answer our many questions about travel, including suggestions about using the inexpensive public transportation. They even prepared us a to-go breakfast when we left for the airport at 5:30 in the morning.

Don't don't miss this one!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and location so much. It was our pleasure to help you with your travel plans and local transportation needs. We are fortunate to have a major bus route so close by.

We will pass on to our staff whom do not have computer access your kind words about their customer service and attention to detail. All our staff take great interest in the reviews the hotel receives on line.

Thank you again for your very positive review and we enjoyed hosting you both at the beginning of your trip and again at the end!
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

When I arrived at La Rosa, I had just completed almost 7 weeks of adventure travel throughout Mexico and 5 other countries in Central America. I had found this lovely little hotel through internet research, and after exchanging emails with the owner, Robert (who happened to be a fellow Canadian!), I felt confident that it would provide me with a peaceful and very comfortable place to relax after all of my running around. And it did.

Grisska and the rest of the staff made me feel completely at home. I arrived quite early in the morning, and I was invited to help myself to the breakfast buffet in the dining room. The food was fresh and delicious, as it was the following 3 mornings as well. The ladies provided me with a packed breakfast early on one morning, since I was going on an all-day tour, and that was much appreciated. I took advantage of the laundry service while there, and that was a terrific convenience too. Clearly, everyone on staff takes great pride in the work they do, and it shows.

My room was spacious, clean and well-equipped. In fact, compared to most of the establishments I had stayed in during my travels, it felt downright luxurious! The grounds were gorgeous, filled with tropical, flowering plants and shrubs. It never felt to me that I was in close proximity to an international airport.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to find a reason to stay at La Rosa de America again. It was a purely pleasant experience. In fact, I recommended it to one of my travel companions from Australia, and she chose to book the same 3 night package that I had chosen. She wasn't disappointed.

Thank you Robert, Grisska and the rest of the staff. I feel that I found a true oasis in your pretty hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
We are glad you enjoyed your experience at La Rosa enough to even recommend our hotel to others! For us, this is the most convincing proof that we are getting it right!

After weeks of traveling through Latin America, we can understand your desire to just rest for a bit! I am glad that our staff was able to make you feel at home and give you the relaxation you were looking for!

We hope you had a safe trip back to Canada, and that you will come visit us again in the future! It was a pleasure to meet you.

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!