“nice but” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 29 hotels in Alajuela
West Palm Beach, Florida
“nice but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I ended our honeymoon here. There is no AC not a problem, but you need to leave the windows open and there is no source of white noise. This becomes a problem when the guest next door keeps you up all night with drunken loud banter. We could not call the desk because there was no phone in the room and there was no one at the desk after 9. Of coarse a belligerent guest is out of their control however it was disappointing to end our relaxing vacation with a night like that. Location is right near the airport which is very convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
We appreciate your review about our hotel, services and sleep quality. Thank you for your recognition of the benefits of La Rosa, the location and the fact that your specific concern was not a direct failing of the hotel.
Regardless we are saddened to learn that you did not receive a good nights sleep due to the activities of another guest in the cabina next to yours. Our night staff reported these guests to management the next morning in their nightly report. They will not be welcome back to Hotel La Rosa. Due to the "nature" of their nocturnal disturbances, our night staff felt that to interfere, would result in a very awkward situation. Situations like this are extremely rare at La Rosa as we like to get to know our guests via email prior to their arrival.
It is unfortunate you were unaware of our 24 hour concierge staff. It is true that our Reception area closes for the night, however just outside Reception we have a trained, English and Spanish speaking concierge/security person who you would have been most welcome to talk to.
We are planning to offer air conditioning to the two cabinas mentioned in this review. This should help with both the lack of white noise, and with the ability to close the windows and block out any unwanted noise. We are hoping to have this project completed by the end of January.
Again, please accept our regrets for a situation that was unfortunate, but unusual in the extreme for Hotel La Rosa.

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa de America a total of four nights, at the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. The hotel is about fifteen minutes from the San Jose airport, located in a quiet area among colorful plant nurseries, and lets you avoid the major traffic problems that the capital presents. La Rosa is clean, attractive, well managed, has a complete breakfast, but maybe what we appreciated most is its friendly and knowledgeable staff. They went to great lengths to answer our many questions about travel, including suggestions about using the inexpensive public transportation. They even prepared us a to-go breakfast when we left for the airport at 5:30 in the morning.

Don't don't miss this one!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and location so much. It was our pleasure to help you with your travel plans and local transportation needs. We are fortunate to have a major bus route so close by.

We will pass on to our staff whom do not have computer access your kind words about their customer service and attention to detail. All our staff take great interest in the reviews the hotel receives on line.

Thank you again for your very positive review and we enjoyed hosting you both at the beginning of your trip and again at the end!
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

When I arrived at La Rosa, I had just completed almost 7 weeks of adventure travel throughout Mexico and 5 other countries in Central America. I had found this lovely little hotel through internet research, and after exchanging emails with the owner, Robert (who happened to be a fellow Canadian!), I felt confident that it would provide me with a peaceful and very comfortable place to relax after all of my running around. And it did.

Grisska and the rest of the staff made me feel completely at home. I arrived quite early in the morning, and I was invited to help myself to the breakfast buffet in the dining room. The food was fresh and delicious, as it was the following 3 mornings as well. The ladies provided me with a packed breakfast early on one morning, since I was going on an all-day tour, and that was much appreciated. I took advantage of the laundry service while there, and that was a terrific convenience too. Clearly, everyone on staff takes great pride in the work they do, and it shows.

My room was spacious, clean and well-equipped. In fact, compared to most of the establishments I had stayed in during my travels, it felt downright luxurious! The grounds were gorgeous, filled with tropical, flowering plants and shrubs. It never felt to me that I was in close proximity to an international airport.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to find a reason to stay at La Rosa de America again. It was a purely pleasant experience. In fact, I recommended it to one of my travel companions from Australia, and she chose to book the same 3 night package that I had chosen. She wasn't disappointed.

Thank you Robert, Grisska and the rest of the staff. I feel that I found a true oasis in your pretty hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
We are glad you enjoyed your experience at La Rosa enough to even recommend our hotel to others! For us, this is the most convincing proof that we are getting it right!

After weeks of traveling through Latin America, we can understand your desire to just rest for a bit! I am glad that our staff was able to make you feel at home and give you the relaxation you were looking for!

We hope you had a safe trip back to Canada, and that you will come visit us again in the future! It was a pleasure to meet you.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed at La Rosa de America for just one night and was tempted to make it two. Business ushered me away but I will definitely find my way there again. In the chaos that big cities often are, finding a small lodge that feels like it is distant from the hustle and bustle is very rewarding. I checked in late (after a long flight from the US) and was greeted by the night manager (Victor?), and he proceeded to ask if I needed anything...showed me to my room, and helped me with my bags. In the morning, I ate some breakfast and walked the grounds (which were quite birdy) while delaying my check-out to the last minute. The owner was friendly and I was able to share great conversation with him. I didn't get to make use of the pool this time...but I will.

For anyone passing through or staying in the Central Valley...and especially anyone that needs something close to the airport, Hotel La Rosa de America is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
We enjoyed having the opportunity to host you at La Rosa and are gratified that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have already notified the night concierge of your recognition of his efforts and he was very pleased to be recognized so.
Delaying your check out to the last minute in order to stay in our gardens is a great compliment for our Hotel - thank you. We will pass this to our Garden Staff. We have been making a major effort to attract more birds, hummingbirds and butterflies and now it is starting to pay off!
Again, thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to host you!
Orlando Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

The Owner Robert and his staff take great pride in their hotel and it shows.The grounds are pretty and very well maintained,the rooms are basic but very clean and well maintained.I rented a car with the company they recommended and they made sure I had a good experience.It was our first time in central america and having the owner and staff so helpful was a big bonus at a very fair price.We stayed here on arrival and departure and would highly recommend this wonderful Hotel.We are from Florida and slept fine with the windows open and fan on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your such positive review of our Hotel. It was a pleasure to help you with your vacation and specifically in ensuring you had a proper experience with your car rental. We appreciate your consideration in taking the time to recognize the efforts of the Hotel Staff in making Hotel La Rosa what it is today. Our staff take great pride in seeing themselves listed in a major online forum such as this one and of course enjoy the recognition for their hard work as well.
We hope you return to Costa Rica again soon. We are sure there are some corners of this beautiful country that you have yet to discover!
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa the first three nights and the last night of our visit to Costa Rica. For comparison, we also stayed in three other hotels in different parts of the country. We can not imagine a better place to start and end a vacation. After our experience, we can honestly say that the poor reviews are totally unwarranted. The hotel manager Grisska speaks near perfect English and is the most pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating person we met on our trip. It became obvious that the owners give her total authority and that appeared to be well justified. Grisska was an excellent source of information and assistance and a valuable resource. (We could call her from anywhere in CR to ask advice.) She also totally handled our car rental and made other personal travel arrangements for us with a local tour driver, Andre Polini. Andre is very polite, and excellent driver, very knowledgeable and speaks both English and French quite well. (Contact us for more information.)

All of the front desk staff spoke English well and obviously enjoyed their job. Breakfasts were made to order by a very gentle and accommodating Tica woman. (She did not speak English and we do not speak Spanish, but that did not seem to be an obstacle.) The rooms were well decorated, including fresh flowers, and were clean and well maintained. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and many trees had identification signs. There was no air conditioning so we had to adjust to keeping the windows open and using the ceiling fan. (We found this a common practice in CR.) It cooled down enough at night to require a comforter or blanket and the morning temperatures were cool but pleasant.

The only problem we had was with random noise during the night, mostly dogs off of the property. (There is no traffic noise due to the rural location.) During our trip we found that, in general, CR is a very noisy country. At other hotels we encountered loud traffic sounds, dogs, roosters crowing all night, geese, and loud music. After returning to La Rosa it actually seemed quiet by comparison!

Some comments were made in other reviews regarding proximity of restaurants. There is one restaurant with a wide variety of Tican fare just a few minutes walk from La Rosa. We found the food to be quite good and the owner very pleasant. Within a 15 minute walk on the main road there are several other restaurants. We felt quite safe walking at night so they are also an option. If you just want a fruit snack, ask the clerk at La Rosa.

In conclusion we would like to reiterate our feeling that La Rosa is a fine place to start and end a vacation. It is a Tico style hotel that is, by our experience, better than many others. If you want an American experience (then why do you leave the US?), you can spend much more to satisfy your needs. When we travel we want to experience the culture and to feel like a local. For that reason, La Rosa is the best for us and will always be our first place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you very much for your detailed review! As Owner, having to be temporarily away from my business, I am very glad that everything is being run as hoped! We are very proud of our staff at La Rosa, and in turn, our staff have great pride working as part of the La Rosa Team.
It is especially gratifying to have guests take the time to single out deserving staff. At La Rosa we believe that we learn from what we do right, just as much as when we need to make changes! Please know that each of the employees you have indicated will be shown this review and it will be translated for those whom English is not their primary language.
As a Costa Rica Airport Hotel, we are in a peculiar situation of trying to offer amenities and services to guests not yet adjusted to the slower, more "pura vida" culture of Costa Rica. This puts a significant strain on Hotel and Staff alike as they are not initially used to the cultures of others. In fact, for La Rosa Reception staff, cultural training is the largest part of their three month training package. Again, I wish to thank you for your recognition of their efforts.
It seems that every year, our area gets just a little hotter and drier each dry season. Two years ago we needed to completely redo our garden water sprinkling system due to minimal rain throughout the high season. Now, we are developing a plan to provide air conditioning to some of our cabins. This will allow guests the option to choose an air conditioned cabin if they wish. We anticipate it being quite popular come March as we received a number of comments from guests last year about the possibility of offering A/C. For very light sleepers, this will also help block the random night noises. We find that guests are not used to the absence of "white background noise" so when a sound occurs, it is that much more sharp!
We thank you for noticing the "La Rosa Difference". Being the entry point for many guests to this beautiful country, we do our best to ensure they have service quality such that they would expect in their home country. However, sometimes cultural expectations and the Costa Rica experience take some guests longer to adjust to! We find it tremendously interesting to welcome back to our hotel guests who are at the end of their vacation after having hosted them at the start. They are so much more relaxed and have embraced the 'pura vida' essence of Costa Rica! Generally the difference is significant and to us, means that the vacation (and country) did it's job.
Again we would like to thank you for your very positive review of our hotel. You must be a very experienced traveller from the way you write! We hope you return to Costa Rica soon and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa in October 2011 & despite the heavy rains at night, we had a very pleasant stay. The receptionist Grisska was very friendly & helpful & made us feel very welcome. The included breakfast was wonderful, & they even gave us a snack pack when our tour left before the scheduled breakfast time. Rarely, but every once in a while there are very low flying planes, & this hotel can be right in the flight path. It is a remote location away from the city, which makes it very quiet with lots of pleasant bird sounds. Because of this it would be more practical to have a car, but it is right on the main bus line to Alajuela costing about $1 or 500 colones one way. It is 2km from Zoo Ave, a wonderful, lush zoo with Costa Rica's wildlife.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recommendation of our Hotel! We are very glad you enjoyed staying with us and we hope the rest of your trip was just as enjoyable. As Owner, I would personally like to thank you for recognizing the hard work of our Manager, Grisska. She works very hard and is learning more and more every day about providing service delivery to so many different cultures around the planet! (Last year we hosted guests from 117 countries with every culture being distinct!!!)
We are located about 15 minutes from the airport which affords us a much quieter location (and safer) then being in or near Alajuela, but it does reduce the options for those guests without vehicles. As you mention, we are on a major bus line which takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown Alajuela. The Barrio Taxi stand is about 5 minutes away and a taxi to downtown will cost about $7.00 USD so this is an option as well.
Also, new for 2011, we are offering a special at La Rosa, where guests can receive a free Personal and Private Airport Transfer from the San Jose International Airport direct to Hotel La Rosa. We hope this will help with guest concerns in finding us and allow us to directly compete with the hotels right next to the airport.
Sometimes, late at night, some of the heavily laden cargo aircraft heading to the Western Seaboard of North America, turn northwards, just west our airport hotel at about 3,000 feet as they climb to clear the top of Volcan Poas. Normally we find this to be a minor issue only but once in a while it seems that the night air can magnify the sounds - especially if it is otherwise a quiet night. Sadly, Costa Rica has virtually no coherent, all-encompassing land use policy, nor enforced noise pollution laws. We consider ourselves fortunate to be set back from the road far enough to avoid the engine braking experienced by so many other locations.
ZooAve is a wonderful location with a great "ethic" towards wildlife. We are glad you enjoyed your experience there. Again, from the Owners and Staff at La Rosa, thank you for your review. We are glad to have been a part of your holiday!

Been to Hotel La Rosa de America? Share your experiences!