“Great place to start and end visit.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Rosa de America

You added Hotel La Rosa de America to your Saves list
Hotel La Rosa de America
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 mts Sur y 75 mts Este de La Mandarina | La Garita, Alajuela none, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Alajuela
Salem, Oregon
“Great place to start and end visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa de America a total of four nights, at the beginning and end of our trip to Costa Rica. The hotel is about fifteen minutes from the San Jose airport, located in a quiet area among colorful plant nurseries, and lets you avoid the major traffic problems that the capital presents. La Rosa is clean, attractive, well managed, has a complete breakfast, but maybe what we appreciated most is its friendly and knowledgeable staff. They went to great lengths to answer our many questions about travel, including suggestions about using the inexpensive public transportation. They even prepared us a to-go breakfast when we left for the airport at 5:30 in the morning.

Don't don't miss this one!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel and location so much. It was our pleasure to help you with your travel plans and local transportation needs. We are fortunate to have a major bus route so close by.

We will pass on to our staff whom do not have computer access your kind words about their customer service and attention to detail. All our staff take great interest in the reviews the hotel receives on line.

Thank you again for your very positive review and we enjoyed hosting you both at the beginning of your trip and again at the end!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

When I arrived at La Rosa, I had just completed almost 7 weeks of adventure travel throughout Mexico and 5 other countries in Central America. I had found this lovely little hotel through internet research, and after exchanging emails with the owner, Robert (who happened to be a fellow Canadian!), I felt confident that it would provide me with a peaceful and very comfortable place to relax after all of my running around. And it did.

Grisska and the rest of the staff made me feel completely at home. I arrived quite early in the morning, and I was invited to help myself to the breakfast buffet in the dining room. The food was fresh and delicious, as it was the following 3 mornings as well. The ladies provided me with a packed breakfast early on one morning, since I was going on an all-day tour, and that was much appreciated. I took advantage of the laundry service while there, and that was a terrific convenience too. Clearly, everyone on staff takes great pride in the work they do, and it shows.

My room was spacious, clean and well-equipped. In fact, compared to most of the establishments I had stayed in during my travels, it felt downright luxurious! The grounds were gorgeous, filled with tropical, flowering plants and shrubs. It never felt to me that I was in close proximity to an international airport.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to find a reason to stay at La Rosa de America again. It was a purely pleasant experience. In fact, I recommended it to one of my travel companions from Australia, and she chose to book the same 3 night package that I had chosen. She wasn't disappointed.

Thank you Robert, Grisska and the rest of the staff. I feel that I found a true oasis in your pretty hotel!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
We are glad you enjoyed your experience at La Rosa enough to even recommend our hotel to others! For us, this is the most convincing proof that we are getting it right!

After weeks of traveling through Latin America, we can understand your desire to just rest for a bit! I am glad that our staff was able to make you feel at home and give you the relaxation you were looking for!

We hope you had a safe trip back to Canada, and that you will come visit us again in the future! It was a pleasure to meet you.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed at La Rosa de America for just one night and was tempted to make it two. Business ushered me away but I will definitely find my way there again. In the chaos that big cities often are, finding a small lodge that feels like it is distant from the hustle and bustle is very rewarding. I checked in late (after a long flight from the US) and was greeted by the night manager (Victor?), and he proceeded to ask if I needed anything...showed me to my room, and helped me with my bags. In the morning, I ate some breakfast and walked the grounds (which were quite birdy) while delaying my check-out to the last minute. The owner was friendly and I was able to share great conversation with him. I didn't get to make use of the pool this time...but I will.

For anyone passing through or staying in the Central Valley...and especially anyone that needs something close to the airport, Hotel La Rosa de America is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy yourself.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
We enjoyed having the opportunity to host you at La Rosa and are gratified that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have already notified the night concierge of your recognition of his efforts and he was very pleased to be recognized so.
Delaying your check out to the last minute in order to stay in our gardens is a great compliment for our Hotel - thank you. We will pass this to our Garden Staff. We have been making a major effort to attract more birds, hummingbirds and butterflies and now it is starting to pay off!
Again, thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to host you!
Orlando Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

The Owner Robert and his staff take great pride in their hotel and it shows.The grounds are pretty and very well maintained,the rooms are basic but very clean and well maintained.I rented a car with the company they recommended and they made sure I had a good experience.It was our first time in central america and having the owner and staff so helpful was a big bonus at a very fair price.We stayed here on arrival and departure and would highly recommend this wonderful Hotel.We are from Florida and slept fine with the windows open and fan on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your such positive review of our Hotel. It was a pleasure to help you with your vacation and specifically in ensuring you had a proper experience with your car rental. We appreciate your consideration in taking the time to recognize the efforts of the Hotel Staff in making Hotel La Rosa what it is today. Our staff take great pride in seeing themselves listed in a major online forum such as this one and of course enjoy the recognition for their hard work as well.
We hope you return to Costa Rica again soon. We are sure there are some corners of this beautiful country that you have yet to discover!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed at La Rosa in October 2011 & despite the heavy rains at night, we had a very pleasant stay. The receptionist Grisska was very friendly & helpful & made us feel very welcome. The included breakfast was wonderful, & they even gave us a snack pack when our tour left before the scheduled breakfast time. Rarely, but every once in a while there are very low flying planes, & this hotel can be right in the flight path. It is a remote location away from the city, which makes it very quiet with lots of pleasant bird sounds. Because of this it would be more practical to have a car, but it is right on the main bus line to Alajuela costing about $1 or 500 colones one way. It is 2km from Zoo Ave, a wonderful, lush zoo with Costa Rica's wildlife.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thank you for your recommendation of our Hotel! We are very glad you enjoyed staying with us and we hope the rest of your trip was just as enjoyable. As Owner, I would personally like to thank you for recognizing the hard work of our Manager, Grisska. She works very hard and is learning more and more every day about providing service delivery to so many different cultures around the planet! (Last year we hosted guests from 117 countries with every culture being distinct!!!)
We are located about 15 minutes from the airport which affords us a much quieter location (and safer) then being in or near Alajuela, but it does reduce the options for those guests without vehicles. As you mention, we are on a major bus line which takes about 15 minutes to get to downtown Alajuela. The Barrio Taxi stand is about 5 minutes away and a taxi to downtown will cost about $7.00 USD so this is an option as well.
Also, new for 2011, we are offering a special at La Rosa, where guests can receive a free Personal and Private Airport Transfer from the San Jose International Airport direct to Hotel La Rosa. We hope this will help with guest concerns in finding us and allow us to directly compete with the hotels right next to the airport.
Sometimes, late at night, some of the heavily laden cargo aircraft heading to the Western Seaboard of North America, turn northwards, just west our airport hotel at about 3,000 feet as they climb to clear the top of Volcan Poas. Normally we find this to be a minor issue only but once in a while it seems that the night air can magnify the sounds - especially if it is otherwise a quiet night. Sadly, Costa Rica has virtually no coherent, all-encompassing land use policy, nor enforced noise pollution laws. We consider ourselves fortunate to be set back from the road far enough to avoid the engine braking experienced by so many other locations.
ZooAve is a wonderful location with a great "ethic" towards wildlife. We are glad you enjoyed your experience there. Again, from the Owners and Staff at La Rosa, thank you for your review. We are glad to have been a part of your holiday!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed at Hotel La Rosa de America 3 separate times in July/August 2011. The first when we arrived in Costa Rica from UK late July for 3 nights then again mid August for one night and again for two nights at end of August before flying home. Robert and ALL his staff were wonderful, very helpful and all we could have wanted. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds with a lovely pool to cool of in. We also liked the small local restaurants nearby especially Chery's bar just around the corner where Jan and I were made very welcome. If you are looking for a smallish independent hotel set in gorgeous grounds away from the hustle and bustle of a town then this is the place for you.
Thanks Robert and all

Mike & Jan from London UK

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rob_Hick, Owner at Hotel La Rosa de America, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
On behalf of the Staff at Hotel La Rosa de America, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at our San Jose Airport Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your time here - we enjoyed hosting you and your wife. It was interesting for us to see how your Costa Rica vacation progressed each week after you would come back to stay with us after going back and forth across the country! We hope you had a good flight back to England and hope to see you again back in Costa Rica!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed one night in this hotel in May 2010. We arrived so late (maybe around 10-11p) and the owner was so kind and accommodating. This was the only hotel we booked before departing for our trip and we were pretty much just going to rent a car and wing it. He was so helpful explaining good places to go and took the time to talk to us about Costa Rica even though it was past 11pm. We had a great sleep and waking up to sunshine and the beautiful gardens was so nice. His wife made us breakfast and she was so kind, and Canadian :). We wished we had more time at this hotel to relax on their beautiful property. The town was a bit intimidating with all the gates and barbed wire but we soon learned every town in Costa Rica is like that. We felt very safe at this hotel and we really appreciated how kind and helpful the owners were. We'd definitely stay here again if we need a place to stay near the airport (it's still a bit of a drive, and taxi's are expensive!). I think we paid around $80-$90US for the night. It was definitely better than staying at the Holiday Inn Express across from the airport which we stayed at before we left to go back home, that was super expensive and we were so bored! Hotel La Rosa definitely has more charm :)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello again and thank you for your review! We are very glad that you enjoyed the hospitality of our San Jose airport hotel. Since your stay, we have made even more changes to the gardens, specially designed for (ahem!! ) "non-tropical" Canadians who rarely see real butterflies, hummingbirds and banana plants! At La Rosa, it is not far from the banana plant to the morning's banana bread! We have been planting flowers designed to attract butterflies and as a result, we now have hundreds of them - including our first Blue Morpho!!
Thank you for recognizing us as a valued alternative to the standard airport hotel. It is rewarding for both Owners and Staff alike to know we have made a positive difference in someone's vacation!
We completely agree with you regarding the barbed wire etc... We think it is unsightly and unnecessary as well - especially for a hotel. However, this physical protection is deeply set in the Costa Rican culture and is not really indicative of current crime levels - certainly not in La Garita where we are located. These features become more necessary in the major cities of San Jose and Alajuela and close by the airport as well. At Hotel La Rosa, these features do not exist - in part because we employ alternate measures and therefore have no need of them. Also, our gardens have been designed to provide both security and privacy. We believe guests do not want to stay in a hotel that looks like a fortress! (worse if it needs to be a fortress!!)
Again, we are very glad to have had the opportunity to host you at our hotel. We hope you will return to Costa Rica again soon and come visit us again!