“Would go back 1k times over” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xandari Resort & Spa

You added Xandari Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Xandari Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 km northwest of El Diamante Bar | Tacacori, Alajuela 4050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Alajuela
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Would go back 1k times over”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Beautiful spacious villas, spectacular views from every direction, delicious & fresh food, friendly staff this place had it all! I have no complaints. I went with 5 friends and we rented two villas. I slept on the couch/bed and was fine but I hear the beds were a little uncomfortable but they'd not dare have that keep them from returning. Xandari was everything and more it proclaimed to be on their web site. The complimentary breakfast was extensive and just as good as what you paid for during lunch and dinner which was very reasonable priced. No television in the rooms left us city girls a little void of the background noise but we kept busy swimming hiking and getting spa treatments. My only hesitation is making my review so great that I wont be able to enjoy the intimate environment we enjoyed because my gem will be discovered. Oh I can't wait to go back! and if you do take a walk go to the "Golden Pig restaurant" at the bottom of the hill. It's spanish speaking only but the food was to die for!

Room Tip: We had two villas one seperate sides of the grounds and both were beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Xandari Resort and Spa is so beautiful. Each room is really a suite, colorful, comfortable, beautiful views of San Jose from private balcony. The Spa is fantastic, and private, comfortable, great spa treatements.
At Xandari there are five waterfalls to walk to, Orchid greenhouse, a little farm where they grow vegetables that are used in the restaruant, beautiful, beautiful gardens, swimming pools, I can go on and on. Not to mention the restaurant.
I will be returning, again, and again, perfect place to get relaxed and centered.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We live in Costa Rica and fly in and out of SJO a lot. We have always heard good things about the Xandari, but have never had a chance to stay here until recently (for once we were traveling without our two young children). This place is amazing!

Only 20 minutes from the airport, but you feel like you're hundreds of miles away from anything (so much so that it can be very hard to find the first time!) The chains across from the airport are adequate if you arrive late and don't have much time in SJ, but if you arrive early enough or leave late enough, this is where you should stay. Can't think of a nicer spot to start/end my Costa Rican vacation and much more of a Costa Rican experience than staying in a North American chain hotel across the freeway from the airport.

The property is massive, and you feel like you are the only guests...until you go to the restaurant and you wonder where all these other folks are the rest of the time. =) The sunset pool and view is just as pretty as the photo in real life, if not prettier (and we were the only folks out there on a beautiful sunny day). And the twinkling lights of the city at night, unreal.

The staff was all very friendly and accommodating, you can tell they enjoy working there. Since the owners are an architect and an artist, the villas are as spectacular. And no two are alike. Lucy was so helpful and sweet during the reservation process, as well as Konrad at the spa who set up a sunset massage + jacuzzi for our anniversary. They were both very prompt answering my questions and very organized, it was very appreciated and made for a wonderful day for us.

We enjoyed our stay so much we immediately booked my parents for the night before they were leaving SJ and they loved it as much as we did. We will definitely be back - highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We loved our Ultra Villa Plus!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Great place to stay! We stayed here during the rainy season (sept 2012) but it rained for about an hour or 2 each day about the same time 1-3pm.

The grounds of the resort are beautiful! Tons of plants and birds to see. The paths are wide and well lite for walking. You are surrounded by beauty! We did not go into the pools as the days were not hot enough for us to warrant use of the pools. They are large and very well maintained. We would've made use of the jacuzzi during the day as it seemed warmer naturally than the pool but we had our 4 month. The trails at the resort are well maintained and well lite, We walked it with our 4 month old in tow. We also picked fruit off the trees and ate it while walking( oranges and starfruit). The villas aren't insulated so if you get chilly easily like I do, bring warm clothes for bedtime and slippers to wear around the villa as the floors are tiled. I would also suggest bringing a small portable grill ( george formman or the likes) and going to the supermarket as it can get costly eating out and the taxi's back and forth.

Taxi
As far as taxi's I would also recommend taking the metered taxi's with the meter being at the top of the front window so it can be seen throughout your trip. The "hired" cars through the resort are at least double the cost for transportation. Use at your discretion.

Restaurant
The resort restaurant ( the only place to eat at the resort) was great. The fruit and veggie select varied daily. The costs are typical of an average restaurant dinner meals are between $10-20 each. Lunch $5-10. Breakfast is AMAZING! FREE! YUMMY! Yogurt, granola, fresh muffins, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, bagels, veggies, cheese, ham and chicken lunch meat slices. A great variety all for free! We loaded up on the yummy free breakfast daily. They have other things for sale pancakes, bacon, eggs at a reasonable cost. Again average cost of a meal in the US. The staff is amazing! We stayed 6 days and each day the staff welcomed us with warm smiles.

Ants
The only reason why I did not give the resort 5 stars is because of the ants. Yes, we were warned about the ants from the staff and tried (very hard) to keep food away and clean the floors and tables of food and drinks to not welcome the ants but they still come. They are the typical little black ants that come during the summer (sugar ants) but they are annoying. At night I made my husband check the sheets to make sure they were not in the bed. I still found it difficult to sleep just knowing that they still climb about and get into everything!

tv
no tv or internet in the rooms but they offer a variety of books for reading and they offer playing cards also. The resort does have a tv and a computer with internet access in the main lobby.

Room Tip: villa 4 has a direct path from the reception.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed here on our last couple of nights because it was a short drive to the airport for our departure. Xandari is a coffee plantation, so we took the walking tour of the plantation. The room was incredible and the view was awesome. Our room was so private and we felt like we were the only ones on the property. The bathroom overlooked a wonderful garden, which the whole room was open in glass and surrounded by gardens on the outside. You enter a locked gate to your patio, which had about a 12 foot wall surrounding your courtyard for privacy. We also enjoyed a wonderful couples massage and afterward we enjoyed a spa that overlooked the city...breathtaking. I would love to go back someday for a longer stay....a must stay for anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Roxbury, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Xandari is an excellent choice under any circumstances but if you want a hotel that is close to the airport (SJO) look no further. My Wife and I celebrated her birthday in Costa Rica in early September 2012. We had a late arriving flight and early departing flight so after careful consideration we selected Xandari for our first and last nights in Costa Rica and we were not disappointed. Our rooms were immaculate, clean and the airflow was great. Xandari sits high up on the mountain side overlooking Alajuela. The views, night or day, are spectacular. The Resort grounds are amazing (walking paths and trails are well done) and the villas (we stayed in the Ultra rooms 4 and 5) are ultra modern sheik, private and very comfortable. The majority of artwork has been done by the owner as well as the design and layout of the Resort. The breakfast was excellent and the dinner on our last night was great. The staff and security were very attentive and often times anticipated our needs. Are flight arriving was delayed by 2 hours and upon arrival we had a fresh fruit plate waiting for us in our room and because we had an early flight we were given a boxed breakfast the night before our flight. It is the little details such as the latter that separate a good Resort from a great Resort. You will not be disappointed with your stay at Xandari. Due to our travel schedule we did not partake in the Fitness Center or Spa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

After reading about barking dogs (yep) and stale tortilla chips (!), I had to jump onto TripAdvisor to offer my thoughts on Xandari. I will make them brief but succinct. Xandari is the BEST place I have ever stayed ... when seeking the type of vacation that brought me to Costa Rica. If you're expecting a Ritz-Carlton pampering with super-posh bath products and deluxe accommodations, go to Hawaii or the Westin St. John. That's not why you are here.
The rooms are very unique and artsy. Memory foam mattress are great. Blinds that do not block out the 5am sunrise are somewhat of a drag. No AC? No worries. It's pretty nice at night. The noise? That was an issue on my first two of four nights with random barking dogs from outside the property. Costa Rica has many random roaming dogs ... not strays, I was told. The shower has no curtain but no worries ... it's private. The room we had was close enough to the main building where we got somewhat spotty but adequate WiFi; there is a hard-wired computer in the main building that is superfast and a media room with Sky satellite TV. No TV in the guest rooms ... but did you really come here so you could see Watchmen in Spanish from your bed when you could enjoy wine and fine food at very affordable prices from the Xandari restaurant with a priceless view of monkeys in trees, birds eating papaya from a tableside feeder and the entire Central Valley off in the distance?
The room we had (18) is one of two in a split villa. The wall is a bit thin but a buddy had the adjoining room. If we had loud neighbors that would have been an issue. The patio overlooks the Central Valley and there are plenty of birds and animals at sunrise to hear!
Our room was also across from a nice pool and jacuzzi -- a bonus. I didn't get to the affinity pool near the more private and more distant villas, and did not use the spa but it looks very nice. Why? Because there are about 4km of serious hiking trails on the property that include waterfalls, a garden where I planted a tree in honor of my girlfriend and I, a working chicken coop, a citrus orchard and an art studio.
The staff at the restaurant is not "stiff." They are trained to wine and dine Americans. Once I started speaking to them in colloquial Spanish they loosened up and we got great service.
Do I have "complaints"? Not really. There was a miscommunication regarding our arrival at the airport because of a flight delay out of our control and we had to take our chances with a local livery driver who ripped us off, we later learned. We had prepaid to Xandari our airport ride and I had to haggle a little bit to apply the prepaid fee to an excursion cost.
On one night we used the Xandari driver to take us three into Alajuela, a somewhat sleepy but very clean and friendly town five minutes down the hill from Xandari, for dinner. He charged us $20 USD. The cab ride back from the one bar we could locate (Bulevar) was a whopping $8 USD. The taxis are totally fine and I took one to the airport for $11.50.
Lastly, the excursion packages that Xandari is able to arrange through preffered providers were excellent and we were treated royally. We recommend Colinas del Poas ziplining, and Rios Tropicales for Pacuare River whitewater rafting (spend the $$ on a private van and guide -- they'll buy you breakfast, lunch and prepare a nice surprise at the end of the 18 mile trek and you need not deal with hotel drops in San Jose). Hike at Poas Volcano, and be sure to go to La Paz Waterfall Gardens for in-your-face birds, big cats, monkeys and more waterfall-filled hiking. All can be done from Xandari, making my busy four-day stay truly exceptional.
I will return. I do not care that I had to bring my own Aveda bath products taken from a recent stay at a hotel in the US as the homemade oatmeal soap and crummy shampoo/conditioner they offer is worse than a Ramada Inn. That's not why I was there.
Just get rid of the barking dogs, neighbors of Xandari. That's my only complaint.
Otherwise I can't wait to return to see my tree and enjoy more eco-minded experiences.

Room Tip: If you see privacy ask for a high-numbered villa but prepared for a long and somewhat dark nighttime...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Xandari Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!